Epic Announces "Major" UT3 Expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heh A Spec.

Whilst you're at it think you might be slaughtered if client side demos don't work. Not a problem for me being able to server side on most I play if i need one.

If you were to rebalance weapons. Minimize stinger damage and let me somehow get away from **** lockdown of link secondary. :d

Comment

Originally posted by jackrustycog View Post
      With ut3 this isnt so, also...I cant help but to say it but without dodgejump it feels so slow.

Dodgejump with the jumpboots just isnt the same because you have to recharge them constantly. Of course the UI also, its just to simple.
      Well if you want Ut2004 movement, dodge jumping etc back the mutators already exist.

Heck there's even mutators already out that enables you to do this with the jumpboots (unlimited charges)
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPmTl3uEwIY

You can change every aspect of movement and gameplay in UT3, but people want this to come from EPIC's side. That way it's standardized and everyone will play the same game. The more people the game in the same way. The more chance there is for communities to be formed that like to play the same "game" you do. But for something like that to happen you need a proper social network intact. Lobby's, chatrooms, pugs etc ingame.

If Ut3 had really taken off you would see multiple communites running UT2004 style movement mutator, XMP and Instagib with full servers.

If the core game is not played then all new great mods, maps and ways to play the game will never get a chance. Even poor old CTF.

I'm just talking nonsense aint I I go sleep...

Comment

I don't understand people cheering about this; they cheat you a second time launching a half-made game and re-launch it again a year later trying to grab your money a second time? I bought UT2003 shortly after UT2004 was announced, making me feel bad, worse when the crappy 10 USA dollars discount was not applicable in Europe, where I had paid 50 euros for the game.
        Better make it free for UT3 owners (I did not paid again for UT2004).

Comment

Should be a patch. And to install it, it has to recognize ur cd-key xD.

Comment

Originally posted by mrkd View Post
            I don't understand people cheering about this; they cheat you a second time launching a half-made game and re-launch it again a year later trying to grab your money a second time? I bought UT2003 shortly after UT2004 was announced, making me feel bad, worse when the crappy 10 USA dollars discount was not applicable in Europe, where I had paid 50 euros for the game.
            Huh?, I got money back discount in UK :had to send the Ut2003 play disc back to Atari plus a copy of my Ut2004 receipt.

Let's hope Mr.Rein meant it and this really is a substantial revamping, hopefully the pc has regained the slot as primary UT3 platform this time round and Epic won't spend the vast majority of developer time coding for the PS3's cell.

Comment

Ok, give me the benefit of the doubt, I did not recall correctly but I'm sure I could not ask the childish discount of 10 dollars after buying a 50 euros game. It still hurts me, money is not a game.
              I can't avoid seeing the story repeating itself. Open your eyes Epic is fooling their buyers a second time.
              I have played less than ten times since I bought the game, few servers and less players, this game seems like an online desert!

Comment

Game company's do this all the time to help keep thier communities going till the next game. I say if it helps boost the games popularity, go for it! Do it NOW please! j/k I guess its done when its done.

Comment

I knew, Epic would work on a major UT3 expansion!

I think this following things would be important to turn UT3 in the game it really deserves to be (including additional, not basically nececcary ideas*):

- Better bot setup menu (both: insta act. and mp setup): name, parts, voice, weapon, AI behavior, team (in bot selection menu)...
                  - Better customizeability (VoicePacks, Factions without modding, HUD-colour*, ...)
                  - Saveable profiles for game setup (maplists, mutators, settings, maybe even mapmixer-like* features)
                  - Better modding support, maybe even return of .ogg*
                  - Best possible server browser (maplist, used mutators, mutator filter, non-installed-custom-content filter, ...)
                  - spectator-mode, prefered team chooseable (i want to be always blue!)
                  - Linux server support from start on
                  - In-game community support, like chat-lobby, skill-based auto matches, custom content loby* (download and advertisement), U-TV lobby*
                  - most importantly: Epic, concentrate your efforts on a PC-only version and take your time to make it perfect, port it later to the consoles. The main failure of UT3 was imo, that you have been pressured by Sony to release UT3 before Christmas 2007, you didnĀ“t have time to finish all necccecary PC features.
                  - I think, a new gametype would do something good to UT3 if it is well chosen and well done. Of course a remake would neither interest UT1/UT2 players nor new players. It should be a new interesting and challenging gametype. I think of something like e.g an objective based team deathmatch (on smaller mas than WAR), like counterstrike, aka assault light (UT1-style (pull switch and go on), not UT2004-style with timer). Of course it is not new at all (it is kinda hard to find new stuff nowadays), but it is different for an UT gametye and different than similar games (because of UT style). It could be both: full of variation (even invasion like objectives) and well balanced for competition. UT3 is to much concipated for casual players, less skill, more skirmish. That is what is keeping Unreal-Community players from playing it. At least there should be a new gametype, maybe Assault Lite as I suggested, maybe another fresh one, which is fully intended to be ballanced, skill based and competitive. (It is actually not my intention to play UT3 competitive, but I think it would do something good for the community).

Of course an addon would have new custom content, here are my wishes:
                  - Malcolm, Nali and Skaarj and maybe NaliWarCow Characters
                  - NaPali based maps (especially medieval style, it lacks in UT3)
                  - New Weapons: Unreal2-Style Flame/Gas-Thrower, SpiderMine Layer(Mutator), more deployables like Turrets, Unreal2-LaserFence (and more use of it e.g. in DM)
                  - DM-Turbine (e.g. DM-Diesel Style)
                  - CTF-HallOfGiants
                  - DM-Curse incl. Course Remix
                  - Some of the best community map remakes (Liandri, TempestX, ...)
                  - Space Warfare map (Cores are on escord- and enemy marauder-ship, nodes are on bridge, engine room, hangar, ... and de-/activate certain doors or shields,...)

btw: If some modders get inspired by my suggestions, feel free to create this new content if you like.

I am sorry if I made some mistakes in my writing, vocabulary or if my sencence building is sometimes hard understandable, but i posted this big text spontaneously, I usually rework it 2-3 times in a text file before.

Comment

Originally posted by mrkd View Post
                    It depends on the point of view. I am more an optimist, i know companys make money, that is the way it is. UT2004 had enough extra content to be a game on its own. The UT2003 content was just a free bonus imo. The quality and fun of both games made it worth to pay 50 € twice.

But I understand that you were disapointed, you just bought UT2003 at the wrong time.

Comment

I don't see a better way to get a new player base established other than to re-publish it. A new flashy box with a cool looking display stand in the middle of Best Buy. If it's just a add-on type expansion and not re-released, then mostly word of mouth will have to bring new players in.

I don't mind paying, I've already played this game for hours on end and have definitely got my money's worth.

Comment

I'm thrilled to see this coming, but I think it would be an extremely wise choice on Epic's part to make the thing completely free.

Comment

Epic, take your time and do it well. If so I wont mind shelling out a few extra $$ for a revitalisation of UT3.

Comment

Originally posted by ZzyzX View Post
                            I'm thrilled to see this coming, but I think it would be an extremely wise choice on Epic's part to make the thing completely free.
                            Midway really needs the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy View Post
                              I don't see a better way to get a new player base established other than to re-publish it.
                              What if UT3.5 would be completely free ecept that is with advertisements and purchaseable character parts, like it is planed with Battlefield Heroes and Quake Arena Live?

Would you or some else of you think, it would result in a greater community?

(of course the purchaseable characer parts thing would suck).

Quake Arena Live may be the greatest rival to UT3.5 because of its concept.

Comment

Originally posted by U-R-K View Post
                                Midway really needs the money.
                                What?

Comment

Working...
                                X