No announcement yet.

Epic Announces "Major" UT3 Expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is just my personal op, but i think this might be a pc only game, at least at first. The game sold terribly for pc, and dont give me that piracy ****, its a online game, thats where the fun is. I pirate plenty of stuff my self but real games that are worth the money i buy. Thats the rule of thumb for the pirates if you need a real cd key to play the game and its that good you buy it and support the company for a quality game. If its trash you play for a few hours and erase it off your computer with no loss of money. I have purchased all unreals because up till now they where all quality games. But honestly this last one was a letdown and i think most of epics sales of it came from the Brandname of unreal and the graphics. People bought into it thinking epic wouldnt release ****, just look at the other unreals.

And for those that say epic sold a million copies "GTA" sold 5 mil in the first week. So 1 mil over the course of a few months isnt epic. Crapper games sell 1 mil copies easy from hype alone.

Epic Tried to hard to spread the game across the platforms, Ruined the interface and wherent consistant with support like they used to be because they where spread to thin. 3 versios of unreal and gears 2 at the same time.

The next unreal will prob be the holy grail for the ut series why because cliffyb is no longer tied down to gears of war 2 since its dev is complete and has already been sent to pressers.

For those that dont know cliffy has been the lead designer on all the ut's except for 3 he also was lead designer for gears of war 1 and 2.

Epics best bet is to focus on the pc community like the old days and if it works out and becomes a hit port to consoles. Dont try the reverse because the pc community can tell.

Porting to consoles is easyer now since they already have the dev cycle down to a science and there tools are made already.

CLIFFY IF YOU READ THIS WE LOVE YOU MAN, GEARS OF WAR ISNT YOUR CONCERN ANYMORE SHOW US SOME UNREAL LOVE YOU BABY FACED KILLER.

Comment

Originally posted by The Chimpy View Post
      Unexpected. This announcement of theirs does raise a fair few questions, though; Will it be putting its focus back on Liandri's good old tournament, which many assumed the series was originally about?
      I hope not. I'm actually enjoying this sojourn into the rest of the Unreal universe. They've had plenty of Unreal games in the Tournament already...

My main concern now, is that no-one will ever buy the first UT game in a series. Epic is setting up a pattern now of releasing the first somewhat unfinished and doing what most people will consider to simply be an EA style roster update a few months later. It's really bad for the series' image overall, especially to non core fans. There's virtually no way that most non-core people will get in to this, now, as 2k4 already fairly well cemented the series as a change-less roster update pattern, and this will only enforce that idea further, regardless of what actual changes really occur. Anyone knows that the general public is utterly incapable of seeing any kind of subtlety, so, you can put up all the defenses you want about well they'll add this and they'll change that; it doesn't matter because most people won't see it.
      What i would have liked to see, is a single-player Unreal game, based on the first one, or an Unreal Championship, based around UC2 mechanics. That, I think, would be sufficiently different from the UT line that it would let people know that each U title is different and help to begin breaking down the roster update misconception. Making a UT3.5 is possibly the worst thing they could have done for the series in the general public's eye, and if they're looking to increase their player base, those are the people they need to look to.

Also, I hope to F***ing God they don't bring back dodge-jump. They finally got back to gameplay mechanics that I thoroughly Love (even more than UT's original gameplay, which was quite a surprise even to me) and I really don't want to see them destroyed.

Comment

sweet now if it could only come out yesterday ...

Comment

I hope with this, epic finally listen to us and finally save the awesome game that UT is. UT3's good gameplay, with all the annoying bugs fixed, a good UI with a good server browser and user-friendly buddy system, the possibility of making UTV, a good and decent demoplayback and a good out of the box map list would make ut perfect. Creating a great balance between the casual gamer interests and the competitive/hardcore gamer high requirements would be awesome also.

Comment

Hmm, gonna patch the holes and see if this ship can yet float huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow Dancer View Post
              What i would have liked to see, is a single-player Unreal game, based on the first one, or an Unreal Championship, based around UC2 mechanics.

Also, I hope to F***ing God they don't bring back dodge-jump.

I'm quoting this because I find it a little confusing. UC2 was entirely based around dodge and wall jumping, to such an extent that the only notable feature to come out of UC2 was the movement. How could they release something with mechanics similar to UC2 without dodge-jumping?

Comment

this sounds soooo promising
                i hopes its rather a ut2k3-ut2k4 episode and not just extra content, because UT3 have alot of this already, and its high quality stuff coming from the community
                what we need is actual coding. Revamp the UI by taking a look at map mixer 3
                give us the ut2k4 costumizablity
                deliver us the true warfare gametype, the remaining necris vehicles and plz, for bobs sake, plzzzz
                the beautiful bot AI you promissed

UT3 deserves it,we deserve it, THE WORLD (geek gamer portion of it) DESERVES IT!

Comment

I really do think that this will turn things around for UT just like ut2004 did when ut2003 equaled suck. This is a crossroads so to speak and its something that if they fail then UT is dead! Three ways to fail and one way to the holy grail, Epic can you redeem yourselves?

My main gripes about ut3 was the lack of characters, was a whole gaggle of characters to chose from in ut2k4. You could find one that fit your personality. With ut3 this isnt so, also...I cant help but to say it but without dodgejump it feels so slow.

Dodgejump with the jumpboots just isnt the same because you have to recharge them constantly. Of course the UI also, its just to simple.

This expansion may very well be epic!

Comment

Originally posted by jackrustycog View Post
                    I really do think that this will turn things around for UT just like ut2004 did when ut2003 equaled suck. This is a crossroads so to speak and its something that if they fail then UT is dead! Three ways to fail and one way to the holy grail, Epic can you redeem yourselves?

My main gripes about ut3 was the lack of characters, was a whole gaggle of characters to chose from in ut2k4. You could find one that fit your personality. With ut3 this isnt so, also...I cant help but to say it but without dodgejump it feels so slow.

Dodgejump with the jumpboots just isnt the same because you have to recharge them constantly. Of course the UI also, its just to simple.

This expansion may very well be epic!
                    UT3 is far from being slower than UT2004, actually UT2004 has probably the slowest gameplay of all UT's even tho it was much more balanced than UT2003 in terms of weapons and it was much more solid, even tho the shieldgun was still there and was still too much hitscan'ish. Just look at the gravity in UT3, makes the gameplay much faster, close combat weapons work a lot more and the game is much less aim dependent. UT3 gameplay imo is almost perfect, besides some annoying bugs like inface rockets that dont take damage at all, and the same for flak balls also, there are also some bugs with shock cores and maybe the bio is overpowered, the fact that they removed the shieldgun was a truly good idea, duel isn't +backing and running away anymore like it was in ut2004 competitive times. About the UI as I said previously I truly agree with you. Even tho I'm not a single player lover I think it would be good to have a worthy single player with a decent story, but also a polished multiplayer with non buggy stuffy and user friendly buddy system/server browser.

Comment

Don't want to burst anyones bubble here, but this is all going of something that was stolen from a Forum, alot of rumours can spread easily, we have no solid proof/evidence from epic that an expansion is underway. Although, i really do hope that there is.

Comment

I just want the spectator mode fixed, for the love of God, please fix the spectator mode!

Comment

I agree with hypno, i love the gameplay in UT3, it's great. Never liked UT2k4, so i hope they keep it as is.

Fixing bugs, slapping a new UI in, even though i can use the current one some people obviously dislike it. New maps, maybe revival of a gametype or something could turn this game around i hope.

Why do people want characters, I don't even see mine 90% of them time when playing. Unless im dead. ok, maybe more than less than 90% I die too much.

Take some of the ideas from mutators that are out, like UTComp and implement stuff like that straight into the game for the competitive side.

Comment

Originally posted by natureboystyle05 View Post
                            i say continuation of the campaign with reaper's revenge on malcom
                            No God, no! Let it die there!

Comment

Originally posted by A_Spec View Post
                              I just want the spectator mode fixed, for the love of God, please fix the spectator mode!
                              That also, so we have more quality shoutcast from you again, hopefully

Originally posted by Cr4zyB4st4rD View Post
                              I agree with hypno, i love the gameplay in UT3, it's great. Never liked UT2k4, so i hope they keep it as is.

Fixing bugs, slapping a new UI in, even though i can use the current one some people obviously dislike it. New maps, maybe revival of a gametype or something could turn this game around i hope.

Why do people want characters, I don't even see mine 90% of them time when playing. Unless im dead. ok, maybe more than less than 90% I die too much.

Take some of the ideas from mutators that are out, like UTComp and implement stuff like that straight into the game for the competitive side.
                              UT2K4 TDM gameplay was ok, duel was boring indeed, but TDM was really solid and balanced, and a lot of fun, imo!

About the characters I think (we) competitive players need to understand that the game needs these type of things, not all players care about having brightskins and care about the game on a competitive level, as I said before it would be great if we could have a balance between the requirements of the players on a hardcore/competitive/professional level and the casual gamer who just wants to play against some bots, play the single player mode or eventually connect to a server and have fun on some public server without complicated settings. As I talk about the characters I talk about AI also, that a lot of players care about but we never understand, same about mods like warfare/onslaught that never reached the high competition level, etc, etc. So creating a nice harmony between the things I said would be quite nice =)

Comment

This is great news.

I was playing UT3 last night and started wondering if this was it for my favorite series. If games were acquaintances you meet over the years Unreal has been my best friend through it all.

Games come and go, but there has never been a time past 1998 where an Unreal game has not been on my hard drive. The latest Unreal game is the first thing to go on after a format and does not leave unless a fresh copy is being installed because I screwed it up or something. Yes I'm a dork, bite me

To Epic:

Thank you for this. Take your time and make this the best one yet. We (or at least I for sure) will be waiting anxiously.

I won't bother you with requests for this or that. All I recommend is to revisit your past successes with UT2004 and especially Unreal Tournament. Focus on the depth and level of customization that they have exhibited and expand upon it even further. Go for the ambiance that was and can be again, Unreal.

Cheers,

Chromatik

Comment

Working...
                                X