Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic Announces "Major" UT3 Expansion

Stolen from BeyondUnreal.

You may have noticed the report a few days ago that Midway was dropping all "non-core" licenses. Well, we sent off an e-mail to Epic's Mark Rein to find out more. According to Mark, not only is Midway still publishing for and partnering with Epic, but they are also working together on a "major expansion for UT3". Here it is, straight from the horse's mouth:

Our arrangement with Midway isn't a license but rather a straight publishing agreement and Midway is still very much the publisher of Unreal Tournament 3. In fact, we're working together on a major expansion to Unreal Tournament 3, that we expect will excite and grow our UT3 customer base which incidentally, now numbers over a million units sold-through world-wide.
    So far, no release plans or dates have been set. Will this be a retail package or a free download? Only time will tell.
    Sounds like pure win. I hope it is.

I hope Epic continues with their “extra content for free to current customers” -policy as they’ve done in previous UTs.

Now it’s only guessing what the expansion actually expands and what the word “major” in that quote actually means.

Comment

I hope this is true, although I would never ever never noway pay for new UT3 content, ever. LOL. I would be happy already if Epic released a big fat download of the best custom content for PS3 so more people will use it. I love custom content on the PS3 but it has been a major failure in terms of online adoption.

Comment

man, this would be great stuff... i say continuation of the campaign with reaper's revenge on malcom, new maps, old modes from ut2k4 added back in with new ut3 twists, new graphics features, more character customization, brand new modes... man they could do a lot of good stuff with this

Comment

yay

Sounds like we can hope for a "fixed", "finished", "polished" game with lotsa extra content ala UT2004 was to UT2k3? I'd at least hope for that and I'm keepin the faith! this sounds like really great news to me

Originally posted by musilowski View Post
          I hope Epic continues with their “extra content for free to current customers” -policy as they’ve done in previous UTs.

Now it’s only guessing what the expansion actually expands and what the word “major” in that quote actually means.
          well free bonus packs are one thing Epic has always done and done a great job with... this expansion sounds to me more like an updated new version of the game with extra content or a, dare I say it? UT3.5?! which would be kinda what i posted above... we can hope!

Comment

Good new imho, seems we have not been forgotten, now let's see what the future holds.
            If they go for retail, it must be **** good if I want to spend some money on it

Comment

Features Baby!

New game modes, Old game modes, New Characters, New Maps + Remakes,

All the extras we've been asking for, Eg Taunts and Audio Packages etc etc..

Fingers Crossed!

Comment

MOre parts in character customisation please

Comment

I would rather have the bugs be fixed... What ever makes people happy i guess :/

Comment

Unexpected. This announcement of theirs does raise a fair few questions, though; Will it be putting its focus back on Liandri's good old tournament, which many assumed the series was originally about? Will it improve support for custom content, like selectable voice packs or mix-and-matching factions parts without the risk of horrific spaghetti hands? Most importantly, will Epic avoid the EA approach to expansion packs of demanding that people cough up 20 dollars/pounds for content that could easily fit onto a 90 meg patch?

Alright, so the last one can be probably answered with "most likely yes," given that UT2K4 not only improved immensely on 2K3 but more or less doubled the amount of goodies - that does makes one wonder how much they'll add to this one.

Comment

Well this is good news! I knew we could count on Epic!

Comment

Originally posted by UnrealGrrl View Post
                        well free bonus packs are one thing Epic has always done and done a great job with... this expansion sounds to me more like an updated new version of the game with extra content or a, dare I say it? UT3.5?! which would be kinda what i posted above... we can hope!
                        I doubt we will get UE3.5 stuff. Also, I doubt this will be like a paid update cause it would mean cause that wouldn't work on the PC (would be on the piratebay and all) and if they leave the PC out you guys will be ****** off as hell. The Xbots just got the game, do you really think they would cough up 20 bucks already for a UT3 2009 update? Hell, would the few hundred people playing UT3 on the PS3 cough this up? It would only fragment the UT community even more if this update wasn't free. Hell, I played many PS3 players who don't even know about the Epic Bonus map pack: every time the vote is for Morbius or Facing worlds, they get thrown out the server. Its already this fragmented...

Comment

wow great new i looks like epic is not leting us down cant wait

Comment

I'd buy it 'again' for ps3 but of course I'd prefer freebies
                            IF it's even comeing for consoles .. you never know

Comment

well if you were around when ut2003 came out and then later got UT2004 youd know that while some players complained about shelling out for 2k4 that it was just a "fixed' 2k3, MOST players were happy to get a kick axe new UT game and did not complain but praised Epic for rescuing the series and making it the #1 FPS again

i wouldnt be surprised if that happens again... i dont have any idea what this "major expansion" is, but I hope its like another UT2004 was to 2k3...

i can say if its just a free bonus pack with a new UI and Malcolm and or Xan, ill like it but will be very disappointed... UT3 needs spit n polish! but ill be even more diappointed if its an attempt to appease ppl who dont even play UT3 by adding a game mode which will do nothing to help the series at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X