How do I make my computer run faster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I make my computer run faster?

I've got a Nvidia 8600 card, a gig of ram, a 2.8 processor and a decent hard-drive. I'm running the res as low as possible with effects on low. My question is... is there a script file I can fix where I can run the game faster because the setting in game isn't good enough.

Increase your ram. Go to 4gb and set your graphics to full. You'll be amazed.

Having said that, there are any number of reasons your computer is running slowly. Make sure you don't have a ton of apps and or auto updates for google, adobe, java, etc. running in the background. Your 8600 card should be able to do a good deal of heavy lifting when combined with enough RAM.

Comment

Cool, I'll order a couple sticks tonight!

Comment

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=586697 Lots of good performance tweaks here

Comment

Originally posted by !in_ View Post
          I've got a Nvidia 8600 card, a gig of ram, a 2.8 processor and a decent hard-drive. I'm running the res as low as possible with effects on low. My question is... is there a script file I can fix where I can run the game faster because the setting in game isn't good enough.
          That description is pretty lacking.

If you have a single core cpu, you should upgrade your cpu to a dual core if you can, That said, if you have an older motherboard, your choices may be limited or nil.

There are like 100 different 8600 cards, some are good, some are OK, but most are inexpensive poor performing DDR2 based cards. If you have an 8600 with DDR2 memory, you should get a better card.

2 Gb ram is pretty much the standard, that is all you need for UT3. You should get a matching pair, same brand and type, with the same voltage and timing specs. You really do not want to mix memory types as that usually leads to problems.

There are tweek guides out there, use them to maximize your fps.

Comment

Oc~!!! Oc~!!!

Comment

Also take a look at Brad.G.'s UT3 Tweaker.
              That part on the right is for visual/performance settings. Click the turtle icon, it will surely help, maybe it deactivates even more settings than ingame

[shot]http://aycu14.webshots.com/image/42893/2003936585805618946_rs.jpg[/shot]

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=594723

Comment

i had an 8600 GT and 2GB RAM with a 2.33 GHZ dual core, maxed out every setting but played 800x600 full screen, got 30 - 60 fps for vctf depending on map and situation in gameplay. [running vista]

4GB RAM now runs a little better.

But on a personal note i am more tolerant of lower frame rates since i played ut2003/4 with an old computer with 20 - 40 fps all the time without total holy **** settings.

Go on task manager when you open the game, find the ut3.exe process, right click it and set it's priority to high, that should give you some extra frames.

Comment

Being "more tolerant" of low frames I call bull****, there is no way you can perceive the frames that aren't rendered.

Comment

I don't think that's what Aquaknot meant... There is a way to get used to lagging a little behind in frames. Of course you can't perceive the unrendered frames but you can still live through it. Just as being tolerant of having a high ping is possible because you learn how to lead your shots but its still a crutch because its still a high ping.

Comment

Q: How do I make my computer run faster?

A: Tighter speedos.

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
                        I don't think that's what Aquaknot meant... There is a way to get used to lagging a little behind in frames. Of course you can't perceive the unrendered frames but you can still live through it. Just as being tolerant of having a high ping is possible because you learn how to lead your shots but its still a crutch because its still a high ping.
                        Only low framerate won't make you lag behind, it will just make it harder for you to perceive motion, which is quite the drag in games like UT.

Comment

Originally posted by Masklin View Post
                          Only low framerate won't make you lag behind, it will just make it harder for you to perceive motion, which is quite the drag in games like UT.
                          dude
                          its not as if Aquaknot likes to play on lower fps
                          he just didnt have the option to get a higher one and have come to accept and get used to it....

Comment

Originally posted by HellFox View Post
                            dude
                            its not as if Aquaknot likes to play on lower fps
                            he just didnt have the option to get a higher one and have come to accept and get used to it....
                            To clarify... I have max frame rate. It's the other guy I was answering in an attempt to beef up what he has for low $$$.

Here's a shot of my machine (when I just finished assembly):

Aquaknot's out of control gaming box

Quad Core 2.5GHz

8 Gb RAM

1 Terabyte Hot Swap RAID array

2 - nVidia 8800GTX cards linked via SLI cable (both Dual Link DVI)

RF keyboard and mouse (beats Bluetooth by a mile)

7.1 Surround sound w/sub

Dual Gigabit LAN ports (yep, redundant broadband!)

750W power supply for board

Additional 400W power supply for the video cards

This home built electric meter spinner is about to go to liquid cooling and some overclocking...

Comment

This thread is becoming really wierd ...

Comment

Working...
                              X