Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the best video card i can get with a 250 watt powersupply?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is the best video card i can get with a 250 watt powersupply?

i want to upgrade to a nvidia video card so i can play ut3 on my pc but cant upgrade my power supply.what is the best video card i can get to play ut3 with a 250 watt power supply?

I say that if for whatever reason you cannot upgrade your PSU, then you basically have to get yourself a new system. Even XFX's GeForce FX 5200 (which isn't even supported) requires at least 300-watts.

Comment

well because i cant afford it

Comment

How much money do you have in mind for a graphics card?
        Because power supplies aren't that expensive nowadays...

Comment

Originally posted by UTlOvEr View Post
          i want to upgrade to a nvidia video card so i can play ut3 on my pc but cant upgrade my power supply.what is the best video card i can get to play ut3 with a 250 watt power supply?

The ATI 4670 offers alot of performance for 80$. It doesnt need a PS connector, and it works for below 250w power supplies. I know its ATI, but it should be worth a look at least. Destroys the 9500gt, and uses less power.
          http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-ra...-4670-review/4 Total system under load= 207w
          http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=623099 for more reviews/benchmarks(links), and words from a guy that recently bought one.

Comment

3dfx pure3d II 16meg

Comment

A new Power supply is dirt cheap nowadays. You can get a good one for under $100. If you're willing to get a new GFX card, then spend the money and get at least a 500w power supply.

Comment

Originally posted by UTlOvEr View Post
                What exactly are your system specs? ATX or mATX? CPU? memory? AGP or PCIE?

Are you sure the rest of your system meets the minimum spec? You really need a dual core CPU and 2Gb ram to play this game well.

Comment

umm you can get CoolerMaster 500w PSU for $50 at Fry's yo.
                  But yeah an ATI 4670 is a great, if you can find one that is. They havent mass produced them yet, so good luck with that. I wouldnt waste money on anything else, unless you really dont want to spend that much. The fact that its that fast and doesnt require a PCIe connection and uses very little juice is pretty amazing.
                  What are you using right now?

Comment

I would like to point out that if his current computer runs on a 250 watt PSU, odds are there are NO upgrades that make financial sense. You should save your money towards upgrading your entire rig.

Comment

Keep in mind power supply efficiency as well as amperages. The really awesome video cards need fairly high amperages coming from your PSU, and you are definitely not going to get high amperages on a 250-watt PSU. The result is that your components run though can't receive all the power they need to work their best. (That's commonly overlooked by system builders.) As for efficiency, most PSU's have about 80% efficiency or so, meaning your power supply would be (in this case) at its best up to around 200 watts, which isn't doing a gaming system any good.

Honestly, a half-decent PSU doesn't cost very much and you really, really need it if you plan on any modern gaming at all. Even if you could find something that worked with a 250-watt PSU, you certainly couldn't use it for all its worth. New power supply, then new video card.

Comment

thanks for all the replys guys i do have dual cpu and i have only 1gb ram but i think it will play goog with a new video card

Comment

The 4670 will destroy anything from nvidia that would work on a 250W PSU. So would a 4650 for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by martinblank View Post
                            The 4670 will destroy anything from nvidia that would work on a 250W PSU. So would a 4650 for that matter.
                            I'm usually into looking at high-end hardware, but when a sub 100$ card does what this thing can do. You cant help but be impressed. I wonder if a on-board variation of this card will be made available. (I bet it will)

EDIT: To the original poster: If you are running vista it might be a good idea to add atleast another gb of ram to your com. It will help alot.

Comment

don't know if this helps...

for the record, my pny/nvidia 8500 gt 512 is running on a 250 watt power supply...
                              ...i like to live life over the edge...

Comment

Working...
                              X