Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shouldn't I be getting a much higher FPS here??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
    The AA is handled by the card/s. I would say that it is something to do with the CPU, as improbable as it may seem.. because UT3 is much more CPU bound than a lot of games.. most Unreal Engine games are CPU bound. If you open task manager while UT3 is running, how many cores is it actually using?

The overclock you have seems pretty high for a Q9450. It is a full ghz above the stock clockspeed. If you are pushing the cpu that hard it will heat up and you will notice slowdowns.

I just bought a Q9550 with a single 9600GT, and am in the middle of redownloading UT3, so once I have it set up I will check out what kind of performance I get at that spot.

Might be worth checking that you have all your chipset drivers etc updated also. Sometimes it is weird stuff that causes bottlenecks, one bad driver could be killing your performance.
    I agree test it out with your cpu at stock speeds. What kind of cooler are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by martinblank View Post
      Now here's an interesting development. I force-enabled 8xAA in the catalyst drivers, and my FPS on Sanctuary remained unchanged, not the slightest drop anywhere, even in that one slow spot. And AA is indeed working, I can see the smoothing it is doing.

So obviously the FPS in that area is not due to a GPU limitation if it takes 8xAA with zero hit, what the hell is going on here??
      Drivers are not yet optimized. That's been a very familiar story with both ATI and NVidia. They release new cards with drivers that work at some level. Then do triage to make them better. They make money from selling the cards, not making good drivers.

Sometimes they give up even trying. Look at the ATI 1900 series UT3 crash problem and the NVidia 7950X2 SLI problems. They have written them off and moved on to sell new cards.

Comment

Well, I have tested UT3 now and I can tell you that your overclocking is probably doing jack squat and probably even damaging your performance. My Q9550 is at 2.83 (stock) and with framerate smoothing turned off I get as high as 210 fps in Sanctuary, and from that view you showed it rarely dips under 60-70. This is with a single 9600 GT. lol..

Comment

Well, I have tested UT3 now and I can tell you that your overclocking is probably doing jack squat and probably even damaging your performance. My Q9550 is at 2.83 (stock) and with framerate smoothing turned off I get as high as 210 fps in Sanctuary, and from that view you showed it rarely dips under 60-70. This is with a single 9600 GT. lol..

Omg! What graphics settings are you using??! My CPU is on water cooling, and it has never gone over 51 C on full load with IntelBurnTest stress testing, which it passes indefinitely. In UT3, the CPU temp has never gone above 44 C!

And the TjMax (max safe temp before throttling kicks it) on the Q9450 is 100 C, so that isn't the problem.

Furthermore, it is only UT3 that is having these performance issues! My CPU and GPU scores on 3DMark Vantage, Call of Duty 4, GRID, Assassins Creed, etc... are all what they should be! It is only UT3 that has these strange performance problems!

Just to be sure, I ran the CPU at stock speed (2.66GHz) and tried it again in that spot in UT3, and the performance was noticeably worse.

All my drivers, for chipset, sound card, NIC, GPU, etc.. are all fully up to date! Please help me fix this problem

Bersy, could you upload the config files you are using so I can test them?

Comment

It is just the stock config of UT3. All details full, 1280x1024 no AA.

Well, imo the cpu doesn't actually have to get to unsafe temps before it gets unstable. If you are pushing the chip far beyond the specs it was designed for it might not function so great. But *shrug* maybe it is or maybe it isn't relevant to this.

What I am pretty certain of is that if AA doesn't affect your FPS then it is something else bottlenecking the performance. Perhaps the motherboard is at fault, I once had a chaintech which gave crappy performance in UT2004, and I replaced it with an ASUS and saw a boost of about 40 fps from that alone.

That was on my old AMD machine. Now I am using an ASUS Maximus II Formula. Couldn't be more pleased. Zero hitches anywhere at full settings.. And with the Ninja Scythe mini cpu cooler the CPU idles at 32.

Comment

martinblank, I just tested it on my rig. As I expected, I got similar results--43-45 FPS when positioned as your screenshot shows. There's alot of framerate inconsistency in this game, unfortunately. My specs are in my sig. I'm also going with the notion that it's Vista's fault.

I'd also like to point out that I get frame drops in DM-Gateway near the waterfall/armor area in the green section of the map.

Comment

I wouldn't be so quick to blame it on Vista.. after all I am using Vista 64 myself and it is just fine. I suspect disabling all unnecessary processes and GUI bling will net me even better performance, but I have zero complaints.

Comment

I wouldn't be so quick to blame it on Vista.. after all I am using Vista 64 myself and it is just fine. I suspect disabling all unnecessary processes and GUI bling will net me even better performance, but I have zero complaints.
                  So you're getting a smooth 60FPS when you try to replicate OP's screenshot? On max settings? What resolution?

Comment

Yes. 1280x1024.

Comment

ATI's new cards have found to be having almost free AA with minimal hit. Look around for reviews and you will see that, so it's not surprising.

Comment

Working...
                      X