Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My rant about the avril. Dont flame me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    play at hedsteem if you whant the game balland al do there think it is by them lol i hate mantas so i dont fly in 1 flak connon is a strang weapon the enemy seems too hit me but i dont hit them

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Moloko View Post
    True, but this was balanced by a better, more solid, accurate feeling shock in 2k4, with a lot more knockback (prim and sec fire) , it was nearly always possible to kill or at the very least force pilots out via use of the shock. In fact, against the real skilled pilots it was the shock R as the weapon of choice .

I think nerfing the shock so dramatically, when it had been so utterly dominant in 2k4 soured a lot of 2k4 player's initial impressions. I know when I first shot the new version in the UT3 demo it was like ..... Like it more now, but against two fast mantas it remains next to useless.
    Agreed. In retrospect we can all see just how powerful the shock was in 2k4 compared to UT3. Sometimes I do miss being able to knock over Hellbenders with shock cores and playing "billiards with a Manta" by shooting it w/ primary so that it slides into enemy players.

I still think it has evened out. In 2k4 the shock was better than an avril against a good manta pilot. In UT3 it's the opposite -- as it should be since avrils are designed specifically for attacking vehicles. You can still bother a single Manta with shock but you're correct that it's useless against multiple Mantas.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by barondro View Post
    I hate avril when I am in manta. I hate mantas when I don't have avril.
    I hate one shot tank kill when I am in scorpion. I hate scorpions suicides when I am in tank.
    I hate scorpions when I am in manta. I hate mantas can outrun my scorpion.
    I feel noobish when people shock combo me. I feel a pro when I do that to them...

Nuf said. This game is very well balanced and that's why I love playing it. It looks stunning on my new rig and that's why it is the only game I currently play.

BTW. Hellbender rear turret has a charge ;-)
    +1

Yes, pretty well balanced. All of the weapons are derated vs vehicles. The shock primary only has 70% effective vs vehicles, 28 points per hit vs 40. stinger is 60%, flak and rockets are 80%, sniper is 40% (28), link primary is 60% while secondary is 80%.
    The best weapon to use depends on the situation. Vehicles do not last very long at all in this game with very few exceptions.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I hate

I hate avril when I am in manta. I hate mantas when I don't have avril.
    I hate one shot tank kill when I am in scorpion. I hate scorpions suicides when I am in tank.
    I hate scorpions when I am in manta. I hate mantas can outrun my scorpion.
    I feel noobish when people shock combo me. I feel a pro when I do that to them...

Nuf said. This game is very well balanced and that's why I love playing it. It looks stunning on my new rig and that's why it is the only game I currently play.

BTW. Hellbender rear turret has a charge ;-)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The only thing I can say here is learn how to adjust and use the manta.

If you see a scorpion, get the way out of there! Scorpions are now actually useful, and are great anti-lightweight vehicle. Learn and adjust.

And concerning the avril, adjust your attack against avrilers, and remember that they are out of the way to start off with, so not everyone has one.

and concerning hellbender, the only tweak it needs is a gauge ffor the rear turret to appear on the hud. I disliked the rear turret being nerfed compared o UT2004, but since it is now only 2 seats (instead of 3) I can see the reason why.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I see your point, the thing is alot of things get the manta, so its hard NOT to killed when your suprising.

About the hellbender, I hardly use it, its slow and although its shock combo attack is decent, its secondary attack is USELESS, apart from picking off raptors, where it does well, I do wish they had the charge and go that they had in ut2004

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Boy Racer View Post
    The sole purpose of a Manta is to kill footsoliders.
    Even if it could not kill people at all by running them over, the Manta would still be a very powerful tool. It's fast and it has an insane damage output. Great for raiding nodes.

Originally posted by Sanch3z View Post
    I also dislike that the shock is nerfed and the avril is now the #1 weapon vs vehicles.
    Imagine that, a dedicated anti-vehicle weapon being the #1 weapon against vehicles. Who'd have thought that of the Anti-Vehicle Rocket Launcher?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    here is a modded Hellbender which is more like the 2k4 version:

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...lbender+deluxe

I also dislike that the shock is nerfed and the avril is now the #1 weapon vs vehicles. I am currently testing a manta mod with increased engine volume and ability to tow multiple hoverboarders(6). My next mod will be shock rifle which will have knock back equal to 2k4. It would also be very possible to slow down the avril rocket speed.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    IMO the only thing overpowered about a Manta is the facted you cannot hear it unless your already roadkilled. Sometimes i wear headphones and have that **** all the way up just to get into that ''unreall'' feel. And i still don't hear it coming. Viper IMO are more of a pain in the *** from my personal experience. Since its narrow and not wide (like the manta) the hitbox from a players view is smaller. When lookg head2head of course.

Scorpions those (especially in avalanche) rape the **** out of vipers which i really enjoy. But most noobs just exploded the ****ing scorpoion imeddiately after entering the vehicle.

And maybe this is just a person rant of mine but i think the helbender could use some twiking. I dislike the rear turret because you have to ''wait'' for it to charge itself instead of manually chargining it like in 2k4. And it feels less powerful to me. Because use to in 2k4 when you charged it it would do alot of damage (fully charge) and have a serious knockback on lighter vehicles.

The ammo of an Avril though is either scarce or doesn't exist. The only map that has an abundant of ammo is Necropolis. Other maps is out of the way to get. Like Suspense for example.

But the Manta IMO is made for suprise attacks like the other dude was saying. Rush in roadkill people then get the hell outta their before you get locked on with a avril.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    How do I become manta?

But seriously; at the demo release, everyone was complaining about the manta being overpowered. Now the opposite holds true?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Manta is a great vehicle for easy kills. Take away the avril and you take away the only chance for poor foot soldiers to survive them.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Flak primary and triple-rockets are quite effective. Shock balls aren't half bad vs. Mantas and Vipers either. And then there's the Shock combo, which will kill a Manta driver and let you steal the vehicle. Hard to pull off, but quite possible.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You might have a point if you're talking about the console version where there's more noticeable knock back from weapons and you can stop a manta in it's tracks with the stinger secondary, but in the PC version the Avril is the only option for defense vs light vehicles (other than the IH secondary which results in the foot soldier getting damaged). Mantas are **** near overpowered as is, it only makes sense to have a few ways to take it out, especially considering that it's a light assault vehicle.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by commiecat View Post
    Mantas should be weak against avrils. They're probably the lightest vehicles in the game. I don't think you should be looking at it compared to 2k4. If you do that, then yes, it is harder to dodge because in 2k4 an avril was almost useless against a skilled Manta pilot. The Manta is more quiet now and you just need to learn to use the terrain.
    True, but this was balanced by a better, more solid, accurate feeling shock in 2k4, with a lot more knockback (prim and sec fire) , it was nearly always possible to kill or at the very least force pilots out via use of the shock. In fact, against the real skilled pilots it was the shock R as the weapon of choice .

I think nerfing the shock so dramatically, when it had been so utterly dominant in 2k4 soured a lot of 2k4 player's initial impressions. I know when I first shot the new version in the UT3 demo it was like ..... Like it more now, but against two fast mantas it remains next to useless.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If you spot an Avril-user, don't try to run him over, but start shooting at him instead. The rockets are large and the Manta fires fast, so there is a pretty good chance that you end up unscathed while your opponent is blown up by his own Avril.

Alternatively, if you are in close, keep circling and jumping over him as fast as possible, as this makes it very hard to lock on with the Avril. Not too close though, or even an un-locked rocket will probably hit you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X