Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by CPTStewart View Post
    I posted this in the User Mods/Maps section but figured I might get some more interest stirring up in this part of the forums.

So, I had an idea the other day...

Many times I've seen maps get bumped down through the beta forums around here and sometimes those are maps that could be greats given the right amount of care and the problem is that there just isn't a consistent level of feedback (Thanks to stevelois for his awesome feedback throughout the forums).

My idea:

Get together a group of users (somewhere around 5 - 10) that are willing to dedicate a few hours a week to testing maps for the mappers around here. By getting together with a group, ideas can be pushed around and all aspects of the map will get checked thouroughly by each of us.

The timeline would look a little like this:

The mapper requests that we take a look at his/her map and the areas they're most concerned with(Gameplay/visuals/ambience/etc.). Testers would receive a map and, whenever they've got some free time, run a few times through looking for graphical glitches. Then play a few rounds for gameplay purposes. We'll all then get together (We've got forums on our site) and post each of our impressions and get together one cohesive log with all of the changes and things we feel need to be made.

Then we'll send that back to the mappers, and they'll get to work on the next version and the process will repeat itself.

Now, anybody that wants to help out with this doesn't have to participate every single time, although it would be nice to have a solid group of "usuals" so there are at least 3 or 4 people testing each map. It would also be nice to get it done in a timely manner (Hopefully no more than a week from the time we get the map to when the log is sent back to the mappers).

If it works out, this could become a precious commodity for mappers. I know how hard it is to receive good feedback on a map, but I also know that when good feedback is given it helps tremendously.

So, if anybody is interested in getting something like this together please let me know and I'll write up a set of rules/guidelines to follow (for both sides, the testers AND mappers) and we can get the ball rolling.

- Dan "CPT Stewart"
    This is exactly how we made WAR-Valley, the winning map of the MSUC this year. We used pugs to try it and so people could give feedback on irc

Leave a comment:

• replied
    great idea if i can help let me no not like i am good at map testing

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've sent a PM to everyone who showed any interest in this little project so go check that out.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey man. If you need any help setting up or running this thing, we could get together on Ventrilo or something and hammer the whole thing out. I was the co-author of both of the VCTF BBQ's.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    PS3 tester here sir. Captain ready willing and able standing by

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This sounds fun and will definitely benefit the community. I'm in.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    if this means i can actually do more than carry on about how much i love this game and defend it from others, count me in!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    great idea there are many maps i beta that have no good feet back

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Beta testers unite

I'll be happy to help test as well. I have PS3, and PC versions, as do most of my clan on www.godsofwarfare.com

Leave a comment:

• replied
    im willing to give it a go im on ps3 add me as a friend my psn id is bongon69

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Why don't you two send me a PM then so I don't forget and I'll let you know when we're ready to get something going.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    www.godsofwarfare.com

I'm sure there is a few people along with myself that would test out the maps for both PC and PS3 on that site!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think this is a fantastic idea, and I've actually thought of organizing something similar myself. I'm on board! PC only though.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic PC/PS3 Testers needed...

PC/PS3 Testers needed...

I posted this in the User Mods/Maps section but figured I might get some more interest stirring up in this part of the forums.

So, I had an idea the other day...

Many times I've seen maps get bumped down through the beta forums around here and sometimes those are maps that could be greats given the right amount of care and the problem is that there just isn't a consistent level of feedback (Thanks to stevelois for his awesome feedback throughout the forums).

My idea:

Get together a group of users (somewhere around 5 - 10) that are willing to dedicate a few hours a week to testing maps for the mappers around here. By getting together with a group, ideas can be pushed around and all aspects of the map will get checked thouroughly by each of us.

The timeline would look a little like this:

The mapper requests that we take a look at his/her map and the areas they're most concerned with(Gameplay/visuals/ambience/etc.). Testers would receive a map and, whenever they've got some free time, run a few times through looking for graphical glitches. Then play a few rounds for gameplay purposes. We'll all then get together (We've got forums on our site) and post each of our impressions and get together one cohesive log with all of the changes and things we feel need to be made.

Then we'll send that back to the mappers, and they'll get to work on the next version and the process will repeat itself.

Now, anybody that wants to help out with this doesn't have to participate every single time, although it would be nice to have a solid group of "usuals" so there are at least 3 or 4 people testing each map. It would also be nice to get it done in a timely manner (Hopefully no more than a week from the time we get the map to when the log is sent back to the mappers).

If it works out, this could become a precious commodity for mappers. I know how hard it is to receive good feedback on a map, but I also know that when good feedback is given it helps tremendously.

So, if anybody is interested in getting something like this together please let me know and I'll write up a set of rules/guidelines to follow (for both sides, the testers AND mappers) and we can get the ball rolling.

- Dan "CPT Stewart"
Working...
X