The unwritten rules of VCTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The unwritten rules of VCTF

Apologies, as I know a thread like this has already been done, but I'd like to gage your opinions on the following....

I play VCTF a lot on Xbox Live, and spend most of time flying the Fury and Raptors. I defend our flag, and give rides to any team-mate who wants one. If I take a lot of damage I bug out and find a descreet place to land and repair my ship, before re-joining the battle. But my tactics upset some of my opponents, and I receive abusive messages and bad rep from them.

These messages only started to arrive after I became prolific at it and started earning 'Godlikes' and 'Massacres'. My tactics didn't bother anyone before when I sucked at it. No-one complains about it when they're on my team either.

I don't consider this cheating and I never use glitches.

Should I continue to play the game as I enjoy it, or should I stop playing this way as it's seems I'm spoiling other peoples enjoyment?

Thank you for your replies....

you are what is known as a vehicle noob also the console versions of this game are ****e

Comment

Age quod agis - Do what you do well. A Raptor or Fury can be taken down with 1 Longbow and at the most 2. Eventually, as general player skill level improves it will become increasingly difficult to go on Massacres.

*Thank you BroKen~DisK. You are correct, sir.*

Comment

Staying alive is part of the game. There wouldn't be Godlike rewards if you weren't meant to achieve them. Don't worry about the people you play against. They will figure out an effective way to kill you sooner or later. Thats just part of the learning curve.

Lets not start this other thing. It doesn't matter who plays on what, as long as everyone enjoys the game.

Comment

executor...

seems to me you've adopted a play style thats welcomed in team play but in pubs only frusterates people. even the guys on your team will get angry if they favor the same vehicles.
          im not saying you're completely wrong with your actions, but if you have no comms(mic) with your team... perhaps you should practice other tactics as well?

massacres vs ANY experienced team is highly unlikely. noobs dont understand the power of avrils.

[edit] woolvie - some of the noobz there are as bad as you heard. i managed a massacre (+hat trick) in a "ranked" ctf there, 5v5 in reflection. they just need a few months

Comment

Executor 9, keep doing what you do. Some people just complain when things don't go their way; it's an immature attitude, and frankly, these people deserve to have their fun times killed by someone better than them.

These are the same people who cry "hax" and "aimbot" when they are killed repeatedly by someone with superior skill. They just can't accept that someone is far better than they are.

Comment

VCTF is a team game, and as long as you're using the flying vehicles productively for your team, then keep doing what you're doing. A fury and raptor in good hands is always an asset to your team. There'll always be people who call you a vehicle noob, but lets be honest, this is VCTF, it's all about using the vehicles effectively, and a good foot soldier will be able to take you down quite easily. So, ignore the noob callers, usually they're the ones with a problem, don't make it yours. : )

Comment

Thank you all for your advice. You all make a lot of good, valid points.

It's not like I'm invincible to anyone who knows what they're doing, and I don't get the awards all the time, but even the good players who defeat me send abuse.

But you guys are right. I'll ignore them and stay as I am.

Thanks again....

Comment

Unwritten rules..
                  Don't take vehicles while someone else on your team is charging it. It's theirs. I don't know why, but people do this a lot in UT3, and yet it rarely happened in UT2004.

Camping. I rarely find that anyone camps as such. Usually where I see someone shouting "Camper N00b!" or similar, they are merely frustrated at someone's good defence tactic. Deal with it. Don't whinge about it. If someone calls me a camper, I take it as a compliment these days. It means im doing my job well
                  Besides, 9 times out of 10, "Campers" are not overly difficult to deal with, with a little planning and team work. If you cant get some team work together, then you probably have no right to be moaning about 'campers' in the first place.

Spawn Killing. Its cheap! Unless you like to be hated by even your own team mates, it's not really recommended. Suspense is a favourite for this, in the shed thing by the tank spawning area. Cretins pile in there with there Hellbenders or mantas and just splat people the moment they spawn. I don't know why this isn't blocked off to vehicles like the other in-building spawn area nearer the flag.

Constantly sniping.. It does get annoying if thats all someone does. Some people are really good at it, granted. But if folks dedicate their entire game to sniping only, it gets boring, irritating and actually doesn't help the team so much anyway. Save it for DM or whatever, not VCTF. Often multiple people on one team will be doing this, and thats about as cool as fancying your cousin.

Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Executor 9 View Post
                    I spend most of time flying the Fury and Raptors. I defend our flag, and give rides to any team-mate who wants one. If I take a lot of damage I bug out and find a descreet place to land and repair my ship, before re-joining the battle.
                    What you have described here is skillful playing and intelligent use of resources. And hey, if you get a Godlike for it, more power too ya.

People complain about all kinds of things in this game. Most of the time, if you're irritating the other team then you are doing something right. Here's a great article that changed the way I play games and look at "unwritten rules." It's called Play to Win and is full of some really interesting philosophical ideas about gaming. It helped me realize the difference between playing to win, playing for fun and playing to get better (thus making playing to win more effective next time).

http://www.sirlin.net/Features/featu...ToWinPart1.htm

Comment

u should spawn kill and be a tank *****

Comment

If your having Fun, then your doing it right.

Comment

As people have said, don´t steal veichles when someone hops out to charge. How bad is it, that you have to make sure you´re completly alone (foes and allies) to heal your veichle incase?

I hope server admins ban ppl for stealing veichles. VEry annoying problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiyoka View Post
                            As people have said, don´t steal veichles when someone hops out to charge. How bad is it, that you have to make sure you´re completly alone (foes and allies) to heal your veichle incase?

I hope server admins ban ppl for stealing veichles. VEry annoying problem.
                            I never steal vehicle excepted for this (1% of time):
                            • efc is near it's base and is going to cap in a few seconds (15-20s)
                            • need urgent support for flag carrier

Because i often see noobs guys just wasting time healing their vehicles while efc is going to cap or our team-guy needs urgent support to get point.
                            Anyway it would be better to ban people switching to winning team than banning guys stealing vehicles ...

Comment

This has all been covered before in this thread;
                              http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=614348
                              You will find the link to another prior thread in that one as well.

This is a detailed summery of the entire thread content and subject matter;

No Cheating (bots or other software)
                              Do Not Use Glitches
                              Listen to Server Admins
                              Respect Other Players
                              Do not steal from team mates

Beyond that, there are only 2 rules of how to play;

Rule#1 -> There are no rules.

Rule #2 -> There is only one rule, see rule #1

Comment

Working...
                              X