Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do bots shoot link guns around corners ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do bots shoot link guns around corners ?

Since patch 1.3 bots use link guns much better. Too good when they bend the link ray around corners and in the open ? is it my eyes playing tricks on me ? or is anyone else seeing this too?

I have also encountered the link ray going though parts of walls too on raising sun map mostly and heatray also.
    Can we encrease the moveforward speed to more that 1200 in the UTInput notepad?

happy fraging fokes

I don't know, why do some bots do more damage than the player? That's how you improve AI, I guess.

Comment

they enabled bots to use the link gun alt fire since patch 1.3, but they seriously f*cked up
      i already posted this in the patch 1.4 request thread

the bending link gun beam is just a render bug, nothing to worry about

Comment

Wow, I was thinking the same thing last night. While practicing with some bots in a DM with skill set to adept, they were tearing me up with the link gun and the stinger. Seemed once they locked on there was no escape and I was dead in like 2 seconds. However, when I was using the link or the stinger, it seemed to take at least twice as much time to make the kill. Also noticed that many times it took 2 or 3 direct rocket hits to make the kill. I still won, but the lock on 2 second link kill was really ******* me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronvdl View Post
          the bending link gun beam is just a render bug, nothing to worry about
          It's not just a render bug, the bots tear me up with link secondary now and even going around a corner will not save you, the beam continues to lock on through the wall as long as they hold down the alt-fire and acts much more like the Fury beams now. You can also lock onto ANY vehicle in Instant Action, not just friendly vehicles that you are healing, which sucks when you want to enpty the rest of your link ammo before engaging that annoying noob that keeps missing you with shock and it keeps locking on them instead of your buddy's vehicle.

I have also seen a LOT of other AI bugs since the new patch.

Like, Bots not gibbing in iCTF despite taking mutiple direct hits. They fly backwards like hitting a teammate, but other than that it appears useless unless you can push them off a spot that forces them to die (via killvolume or whatever). In some maps even that won't kill them. When playing CTF-Infiris yesterday, I blew a bot right into the lava and he simply translocated back up, so I knocked him down again and he translocated up again.... the lava deals 1200 Dam/second and if the bot had the Invulnerability they would have been glowing. I've become good at spotting who has it after getting owned enough by invulnerable bots...

A glitch with the Fury, the beams can now go through walls, floors, etc if you grab someone first then move around the corner real fast while holding the fire button.

The Bio Gun on certain maps sometimes doesn't render the bio goo until it's already hit something, which makes it a horribly unfair weapon since you cannot see what the heck you're dodging until it's too late.

A cosmetic issue with the Stinger, where the Alt-Fire projectiles will explode on impacting a wall or other solid object, but not get destroyed, they just continue on the same path through all walls and players until they disappear into the distance. It's like they go into "Ghost" mode or something.

I've also run into a graphics bug that is downright annoying: Whenever using a hitscan weapon of any sort, the weapon always ALWAYS fires low and to the right. With the Instagib, Shock, Stinger, Enforcer, Hellbender Turret, Turret, and a few others I have to aim with the lower right corner of the crosshair (For shock/IG, halfway between the center dot and the lower right corner of the reticule) instead of the actual center of it. It's definitely affecting my ability to play iCTF or pull off successful moving shock combos (which I already had issues with).

Comment

Because bots are that hardcore. It's actually just a glitch in the game.. not sure why it occurs though.

Comment

The only time I've ever seen a link beam 'bend' is due to latency. If you play with bots offline you won't see it happening around corners. They still have ridiculously good secondary... though a good human player can do the same thing.

Comment

Was testing out some stuff in a CTF match with god mode on, all the sudden i found myself in the middle of 6 bots linking up. Had to go into ghost mode because I couldn't see anything.

Comment

maybe a beckham reference ?

Comment

because they can?

Comment

all i know is my shaft doesn't bend like that : ( they hit you like they're healing a node or vehicle... which locks on to your character. yes bots are omniscient... they know where you are at all times... thats why they shoot before you come around a corner. i just wish i could lock on to them like they do to me

Comment

"the bending link gun beam is just a render bug, nothing to worry about"

Comment

finally someone who agrees with me (i hope?)

to prove my point, i've created these pictures:

the bending beam is caused by your crosshair aiming somewhere else than where the link gun model is pointing at. the beam will come out the link gun in the same direction, but whatever it takes, the beam must end at the point where you're aiming at, like in this exaggerated example:
                          [shot]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee299/Ronnievdl/Tmp/1.png[/shot]

this explains why you see people shooting through walls. UT does a hitscan test, and the link gun beam doesn't follow the hitscan line:
                          [shot]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee299/Ronnievdl/Tmp/2.png[/shot]

that's why it's still impossible to really shoot through walls
                          [shot]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee299/Ronnievdl/Tmp/3.png[/shot]

this also explains this:
                          [shot]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee299/Ronnievdl/Tmp/4.png[/shot]
                          your crosshair is aiming at the tank but the beam (what you see) is locked at the center of the tank

in short: epic f*cked up but you (or bots) can't shoot through walls

Comment

Makes perfect sense. I think it's important to emphasize that the link beam is only bending for the blue player in your illustration. Everything appears normal for the red player.

Comment

yeah, true, cause the 1st person link gun model is always aiming forwards

there was a bug in the demo that the link gun wasn't aiming exactly forwards so it was always bended, even in 1st person view

Comment

Working...
                              X