Weapon switch delay & connection activity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Doing a "whois" search reveals that it is always the game server itself that the icmp traffic is attempting to reach. My router blocks them all outgoing to the server. With icmp packets ( it is a net status packet only for communicating server client/status in normal circumstances ) your client should send at most a couple destination unreachable packets before the server stopped trying to echo your client. Either the net code is in need of a patch...OR we are getting ddos-ed ( deflected denial of service ) by some unscrupulous players. In my case, the icmp packets don't happen randomly or every single time....but rather when the "talent" on the server looks fishy ( in other words...it happens every time certain players are on a server, and never happens with lots of specific players )

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Jungle+= View Post
    I've noticed profuse amounts of icmp type 3 (destination unreachable) packet acivity as long as 5 minutes after i close the game ( not to mention while on a server as well ). What kind of packets are you noticing?
    I've Pm'ed you. Looks like a problem with the GameSpy master server.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've noticed profuse amounts of icmp type 3 (destination unreachable) packet acivity as long as 5 minutes after i close the game ( not to mention while on a server as well ). What kind of packets are you noticing?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Indeed, if you got used to ut2k3 or ut2k4s weapon switch speed your going to have to learn it again. Much slower now.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Infra` View Post
    How much ram do you have Moloko?
    2gb system ram(ddr2 800) tho I'm using xp 32bit so it's unlikely to be that. It may well be my ISP- I've just found out, they're restricting speed at certain times without warning.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    How much ram do you have Moloko?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by RoadKillGrill View Post
    its not like UT2003 where you can shoot a shockball, shoot a rocket then switch back for a combo.
    Whoa, scary. And I thought the weapon change is almost instantaneous in UT3.

And to OP: what I'd do is use the terrain to provide me with time for a quick change. There's often a way for you to hide for a milisec behind something and switch and dance and sing and go back into the fray like you were there all along. But that's prolly nub talk.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by RoadKillGrill View Post
    Its all in your head

Make sure you check your ammo before a battle and switch when your "safe", its not like UT2003 where you can shoot a shockball, shoot a rocket then switch back for a combo.
    Use direct binds for every gun, it makes it "faster" and is more foolproof in a pinch.
    "When you're safe", isn't usually an option -don't know where you're playing.It's certainly not in my head either, multiple rockets fired at a player certainly cause graphical issues and slow downs esp with shock combos(as tho something is getting overloaded data wise) tho I admit my amd cpu isn't helping things no doubt

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Moloko View Post
    2 quick questions:
    All too often when I've run out of ammo the next weapon switch delay is getting me killed(sitting duck) . Is there any way to speed it up? -If it is due to the high poly detail weapons any way to switch to very low detail? btw it seems slower when in heavy action, just when you need quick most.
    Its all in your head

Make sure you check your ammo before a battle and switch when your "safe", its not like UT2003 where you can shoot a shockball, shoot a rocket then switch back for a combo.
    Use direct binds for every gun, it makes it "faster" and is more foolproof in a pinch.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Weapon switch delay & connection activity

Weapon switch delay & connection activity

2 quick questions:
    All too often when I've run out of ammo the next weapon switch delay is getting me killed(sitting duck) . Is there any way to speed it up? -If it is due to the high poly detail weapons any way to switch to very low detail? btw it seems slower when in heavy action, just when you need quick most.

On the other point -What is going on when disconnected? My connection goes crazy and even if I exit the game there is still loads of packet activity relating to UT3
Working...
X