This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What worked for your PS3?

Like many others, I decided to upgrade my hard drive. No problem. New one loaded up and was functional in just minuets.

Not wanting to discard or sell the OEM drive, I elected to use that as a backup. I purchased an external enclosure (vizo shuttle) which powers up fine, but won't acknowledge its self on the xmb. Apparently it isn't as plug-n-play as it had claimed.

I don't want to make my next purchase on hope and desires, so I'm looking for some input from others who have an external drive as to which make and model worked for them.

Thanks to any and all Positive feedback.

BroKen~

Don't know for sure as I've yet to raise the cash to upgrade my PS3, but have you tried formatting the old drive while attached to a PC? I believe the PS3 uses some sort of Linux-derived file system (ext2 or ext3 I think, but again, couldn't say for sure), but don't know whether it only recognises that on a local drive. USB pen-drives have to be formatted with FAT32 (I think, don't know if it sees FAT16) for the PS3 to see them, so may be that you need to format the drive before it'll see it attached via USB. If you do try this, remember that you'll need to partition your drive up, as the maximum FAT32 partition size is 32GB

Hope this helps

Comment

1. It doesn't need to be formatted as it came out of the PS3. It already has usable data on it.

2. I tried it on the pc, but it didn't show up as a usable drive there either. (didn't feel the need to have mentioned this as its a common troubleshooting step.)

3. Thanks for trying to help, but as I already stated, I'm looking for experienced help in this matter

Comment

it does need to be formatted, the ps3 drive has its own file system while the drive is in the actual ps3. When you plug a drive through the usb ports, the drive has to be FAT32!!
        use google and you will learn this!!!

Comment

you can format a big drive as FAT32 from windows, providing you do it from a dos box command line.

start->run-cmd.exe

then from the dos box
          type

format x: /FS:FAT32

where x is your drive letter of the new drive

Comment

Well. I guess this was pointless. It is OBVIOUS that you did not read the first post. This thread has NOTHING to do with formatting.

This thread has EVERYTHING to do with External Enclosures!!

Not sure how else to phrase that. Thats about as polite as it gets. If you don't understand what I'm looking for, DON'T fill this thread with useless **** that I already know, and consider to be common knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by BroKen~DisK View Post
              Not sure how else to phrase that. Thats about as polite as it gets. If you don't understand what I'm looking for, DON'T fill this thread with useless **** that I already know, and consider to be common knowledge.
              They just were trying to help. The reason that the vizo shuttle did not work was because the drive wasn't formatted in the right filesystem for the ps3 usb nor the windows pc to be able to use it.

And the experience I'v had with external enclousures is that all of them work just fine. But I always use an internal drive if possible because they are much faster.

Comment

One more log for the fire.

Comment

Originally posted by BroKen~DisK View Post
                  One more log for the fire.
                  you need to learn to use google so you can find out we have answered your question!! Chuck one more log onto the fire for me because you don't know how to take help!!

you should watch the video and pay attention to the last 16 seconds of the video...
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEdsqS8g5f0

Its not the "external enclosure (vizo shuttle)" that is causing the problem, its that the file system that the ps3 is using, is not letting it be read by your system / ( ps3 usb ports ). You can test this by booting your computer and looking in your bios menu and see if the mother board is even seeing there is external drive connected!!

Edit/Add:
                  hell, the first google post i found took me to this link, see if it helps you!
                  http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...42&mode=linear

Comment

Working...
                  X