This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online population sizes?

Hey everyone, I'm planning on playing UT3 but at the moment I am torn between which system to buy it for, and am currently basing the decision on which system has the largest online population. My two options are Xbox360 and PC; which one has more active players? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

-Dire

I don't know about 360, but on the PC you can usually find one to two full servers with a decent ping for each gametype, assuming you live in North America or Europe.

Comment

Well I suppose that isnt so bad, thanks for the info

any other feedback for xbox 360 or pc is welcome

Comment

Hey Dire

I MAY be wrong, but if the gamespy stats are more or less accurate, and i'm assuming they are, the PC online population is indeed growing. Can't help you with the consoles as I do not own them. Either way, I'd go for the PC version. There are plently of cool community maps, patches are still being released and I'm still very hopeful for some sort of bonus packs from EPIC themselves.

Anyway, hope this helps. If you get it, I'll see you online!

Comment

OKay, thanks a bunch wunderbar and bclagge. I just didnt want to go in blind and find out it's online community is non-existant. I'll most likely buy the game on my way home from class tomorrow; gotta satisfy the urge to frag. See you guys online!

-Dire

Comment

ALWAYS at least 5 HEAVILY populated servers you can jon on 360 at any given time or day or night, across EVERY gametype. If you count the less populated servers, your looking toward at least 10 open servers in each gametype. I am of course being conservative about these estimates.

On top of that, the PC version has struggled for online players since day one, and the PC players will tell you ANYTHING to get you on the PC, so they have someone to play with. I myself would PREFER it on PC, but it's just not where its at with UT this time around. A few months after release, UT2004 was still getting better online numbers than UT3, I suspect it's stil the case. My personal belief is this is due to the fact you have to upgrade the ever living **** out of your PC to even play the game. Once hardware gets cheaper, and multi-core PC's are the NORM in the average household, then it should pick-up, but we might be on UT4 by that time.

Best bet is to go with the latest version. Usually more people on newer titles. On PC, it's getting a little old, on PS3 it's been out a good while, on 360, it's still fairly new.

Comment

I see, thanks for the enlightenment PipeTool, I can understand the need for more common computer upgrades to be able to play the game, I currently have far more than the required minimum, but it'll be a shame if not many others are online to play. The main goal is really just to have a populated game to play whenever I'm able to get on, seeing as life has this irritating ability to call on me whenever i want a videogame break.

Comment

Originally posted by Dire View Post
                I see, thanks for the enlightenment PipeTool, I can understand the need for more common computer upgrades to be able to play the game, I currently have far more than the required minimum, but it'll be a shame if not many others are online to play. The main goal is really just to have a populated game to play whenever I'm able to get on, seeing as life has this irritating ability to call on me whenever i want a videogame break.
                NP man.

Maybe get it on console (1st) and PC (2nd)? If player count is your main concern, I'd PERSONALLY go with one of the consoles.

Comment

Originally posted by Dire View Post
                  One thing you have to understand is that the PC population is slowly growing as more people get computer capable of playing UT3 and as patches are released, while the console versions of the game are slowly shrinking. The number of players on 360 now is a mere shadow of what it was 2 months ago and, if this is anything like other console games, those numbers will continue to drop in the fall when new big name games come out.

Comment

Yeah, tailsnake; I see where you are coming from. In my experience, console games never endure the test of time (online community wise) as well as PC games do. When I do buy this game, I will most likely get the PC version, seeing as I'm eager to test out my quad and geforce8800. I remember back when I played the C&C games, the online community continued for an extremely long time... until lobbies got chat removed, whispers got removed, and just about everything was removed and caused the game population to die. So yeah I completely understand what you are saying, and Im sure that the slowly growing population on the UT3 pc community is a testament to how well it will be a year or a title from now.

Comment

PC is your choice because

a) It has patches and updates and custom maps and the like
                      b) Larger community - but seriously if u can only play one server at a time, why do u need more, especially if the servers are low ping, stutter free - etc.
                      c) Better Graphics, if you have a good PC
                      d) Less expensive. You can buy it off STEAM for around $30USD
                      e) Clan matches and tourneys are more organized and setup than X360.

There's a half a dozen reasons. Pick you favorite.

Comment

Get it for PC just because PC is better for FPS. If all I had to play this game was a console, I wouldn't even bother starting it up.

Comment

Working...
                        X