5.1 or 7.1 or headphones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.1 or 7.1 or headphones?

Is there a big difference between 5.1 and 7.1? Or is this step, compared with the step from stereo to 5.1, rather negligible?

No question: 7.1 costs more and needs more space, has more wires. Is it worth it? Or is even 5.1 to much, a good headphone combined with an x-fi, or 2.1, will do it as well?

So, what do YOU recommend ?

i recommend just ****ing playing
    youll become more skilled by playing rather than buying headphones
    btw i use headphones payied 5.50€, maybe they are poliphonyc

Comment

I find 2.1 **** because you can't hear if they come from behind or whatev.

5.1 works super for me, I doubt 7.1 makes much of a difference, really.

But of course, if you are an audophile and enjoy meching with technology 'n such go ahead and get the 7.1.

Comment

Headphones, definitely. Your ability to locate opponents by sound will be better than even a 7.1 system, despite headphones not having 'true' surround sound. Just make sure to get a good pair; Sennheisers come recommended by almost audiophiles, and I'll vouch for them, but I prefer my open-air Grados.

Comment

well the problem is that when you eneable ai.. the game tends to crash so i rather play with tin cans connected through 2 wire ropes glued to my ears, then some ultra super duper 7.1 surroud sound headphones and crash 5 times a day.

Comment

Headphones are a better and cheaper solution than any good surround speaker setup.

Comment

You only have two eardrums.

The trick is that your ear canals are shaped to adjust the pitch and frequency of sounds based on what direction they arrived from so that when the sound hits your eardrums there's enough information there to determine where the sounds originated in 3D even though you've only got two ears.

There's a technology called CMSS3D in most high-end soundcards that does the same thing with game noises. It takes positional data from the game and uses it to adjust the pitch and frequency of game sounds to mimic what the human ear does for external sounds. The result is that you can pinpoint noises all over the map with just a stereo headset.

For sound quality a 5.1 or 7.1 setup might sound nicer, but you really can't beat CMSS3D on a high-end headset for positional accuracy in FPS games.

There are also 5.1 headsets which physically have multiple speakers for each ear. These are mostly a gimmick and aren't worth your money. Compared to true spacialization technologies like CMSS3D they just sound garbled and inaccurate.

As far as product recommendations go you could start with the Creative X-Mod, which is an external soundcard that supports CMSS3D in hardware, and any good Sennheiser headset. I personally use an X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (internal soundcard) and a Sennheiser PC160SK headset.

Hope this helps!

Comment

holy ****!

Originally posted by nthexwn View Post
                The result is that you can pinpoint noises all over the map with just a stereo headset.
                wow thats why no matter what i always get killed by some players, even if i don't dogde!
                they're not strong, they're just danarous!

Comment

Originally posted by nthexwn View Post
                  The trick is that your ear canals are shaped to adjust the pitch and frequency of sounds based on what direction they arrived from so that when the sound hits your eardrums there's enough information there to determine where the sounds originated in 3D even though you've only got two ears.

There's a technology called CMSS3D in most high-end soundcards that does the same thing with game noises. It takes positional data from the game and uses it to adjust the pitch and frequency of game sounds to mimic what the human ear does for external sounds. The result is that you can pinpoint noises all over the map with just a stereo headset.

For sound quality a 5.1 or 7.1 setup might sound nicer, but you really can't beat CMSS3D on a high-end headset for positional accuracy in FPS games.

There are also 5.1 headsets which physically have multiple speakers for each ear. These are mostly a gimmick and aren't worth your money. Compared to true spacialization technologies like CMSS3D they just sound garbled and inaccurate.
                  Quoted for saying what I wanted to, about 10 times better.

Comment

Originally posted by shombowhore View Post
                    Headphones, definitely. Your ability to locate opponents by sound will be better than even a 7.1 system, despite headphones not having 'true' surround sound. Just make sure to get a good pair; Sennheisers come recommended by almost audiophiles, and I'll vouch for them, but I prefer my open-air Grados.
                    I'll second every word he wrote

Comment

3d headphones

I got Turtle Beach 3D Headphones (forgot which model). X-Fi Xtreme Gamer audio card. There is three speakers per side, 6 total. I should be able to hear what's behind me but I don't :-( Sometime I think I do, but that might be just my imagination.
                      Therefore I cannot recommend 3D headphones. On the other hand, maybe it's just this model, maybe it's just me ;-) I don't know. The audio quality is very good as far as I am concerned though, just the 3D didn't impress me.
                      I'd go for 5.1 setup if I had dedicated play room

Comment

this movie/sound illustrates how stereo can give a 3D effect:
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VPjdLjfc_c

Comment

yeeep. 5.1 headphones are a gimmick. the quality of good set of stereo headphones surpass that of 5.1 surround "gaming" headphones. if you cant pinpoint sounds with your current headphones, maybe you should buy something that cost more than 20 dollars. for example, sennheiser 280/555/595's are all amazing.

also CMSS3D isnt even needed to pinpoint sounds with stereo headsets. i disable all that **** with my audigy2zs.

Comment

Originally posted by Esteem View Post
                            also CMSS3D isnt even needed to pinpoint sounds with stereo headsets. i disable all that **** with my audigy2zs.
                            Most games will do spatialization without hardware support, but it's spread out over a looser grid to make it easier for the CPU to process. This means that the sounds can be off by a wide margin. (Imagine graph paper that only has intercepting coordinates once every 10cm instead of once per cm) With CMSS3D or similar technologies the sound hardware can be used instead of the CPU which lets it project sounds much more precisely. There are even elevation filters on some cards that adjust sounds so you can tell if they're coming from above or below you! (I don't think standard stereo support in UT3 does this at all) Of course if you're trying to play with 260 ping then the game is rediculously sloppy and nothing is located where it appears/sounds on your computer anyway.... *grrrr*

But yeah, you really should turn that stuff back on!

Comment

Working...
                            X