so whats the deal with the art?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so whats the deal with the art?

so im a level artist/designer.. and ive been noticing some things about other mappers posting their levels for feedback.. and my question to anyone who can answer is..
    "why is it that when someone posts a level, no one gives any feedback on the gameplay and level flow of a map unless the map has artwork in it??"

that doesnt make much sense to me. ive been playing games for years ever since wolf3d... and yeah i will agree that artwork is usually what draws interest into a map.. we are visual creatures... but from my experience, once a player is used to the visuals, beyond thats its strictly about how fun the level plays.. what keeps a player coming back?? how fun it is.. not how cool it looks.. ... but if someone posts a level for critique on gameplay only, they are left with no feedback.... anyone? just curious..

I totally feel you, man, but just give it some time. People will come across it and give their feedback, eventually. I will download this and try it out when I get home or at school kk? :3

Comment

gameplay > looks

first make sure the map has uber gameplay, than try to make it look nice ;p

Comment

Generally the gameplay and flow is done in the early stages of alpha, I only make my maps Beta (and post on the forums) when they're ready to be presented to the public, so screenshots are kinda expected at that stage. I test my alpha maps quite a bit during development, and have a team of friends who help me with this, offering suggestions, finding bugs etc. The Public Beta releases, for me, are purely there to make sure everything works as well as it should for the general public and on servers. I then spend a couple of weeks polishing the visuals and optimising, and then make the final release.

Comment

Giving actual constructive feedback regarding gameplay is a lot more difficult than doing so in regards to art. You have to play the map a lot more, particularly with human players if the map is intended to be competitive. I think a lot of people just give feedback regarding screen shots & a quick run-through of the level, which would explain your dilemma.

Comment

My first map, AnarchyHalls, is... I'll go ahead and say it, ugly.

It's an ugly map. But its a LOT of fun, so for every person that plays it and goes "omg this map is stupid" because it doesn't vomit bloom effects into your retinas, there's an entire server full of people who are EXHAUSTED because they just played such a high-intensity deceptively strategic map.

My point is, there was quite a bit of feedback, but it might have been because it was my first map. I dunno.

Comment

well I think that both parts are essential, but gameplay it's kinda more important. I have played really basic maps that had almost nothing artwork stuff, but with a huge gameplay and I really liked it.

Comment

Working...
              X