hd4850 physics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hd4850 physics

are there any drivers for the hd4850 that would help with the ageia tornado map
    I get good frame rates in the beginning but than it goes down hill.

Not yet. If ever. Nvidia bought Ageia. If it happens, it would be from a third party driver. Eg. Omega, Xtreme G...etc. I doubt Ati will code it in themselves, since they are going more havok physics, and eventually ray-tracing. Why would they want to help Nvidia anyway? For three years now Nvidia has been the clear leader in graphics cards, but now with the 4800 series Ati has finally started to earn back some of the respect that it lost over that three years. Now its Ati's time to regain more of the Gpu market, not help the competition.

Comment

Im new to ati, I have the catalyst 8.8 but are there any other drivers or software you would recomend and also, will my hd4850 do gpgpu or do I need drivers or will it do it at all.

Comment

actually nvidia is paying some guy from ngohq.com to develop physx drivers for ati cards. just a matter of time..

Comment

How weird is that? THey are willing to remove one of the advantages of having an nVidia card in return for getting their physics API to win out over Intel's Havok (which AMD backs). Uhm..

In other words they are paying someone to make their physics work on a competitor's GPUs to spite said competitor and the competitor's competitor (which is also another of nVidia's competitors).

Both of these parties make CPUs, for which nVidia is trying to push chipsets. To seel more chipsets they only allow their dual/tri GPU configuration to work on their chipset, except that they now will allow certain Intel chipsets to use SLI too (so they can sell more GPUs)

Would they rather sell chipsets or GPUs? Would they rather their GPUs have an advantage in supporting Physx or would they rather Physx beat Havok? Poor nVidia, so many choices.

Comment

Originally posted by MamiyaOtaru View Post
            How weird is that? THey are willing to remove one of the advantages of having an nVidia card in return for getting their physics API to win out over Intel's Havok (which AMD backs). Uhm..

In other words they are paying someone to make their physics work on a competitor's GPUs to spite said competitor and the competitor's competitor (which is also another of nVidia's competitors).

Both of these parties make CPUs, for which nVidia is trying to push chipsets. To seel more chipsets they only allow their dual/tri GPU configuration to work on their chipset, except that they now will allow certain Intel chipsets to use SLI too (so they can sell more GPUs)

Would they rather sell chipsets or GPUs? Would they rather their GPUs have an advantage in supporting Physx or would they rather Physx beat Havok? Poor nVidia, so many choices.
            It's really about sending a signal to developers flirting with Physx, that If they incorporate it into a game, there will be widespread support HW wise. ATi are probably wary of any possible nvidia down the line changes to the terms of use. Nvidia and Intel seem to be shaping up in a Vhs v Betamax type HW showdown that's not good for them , consumers or developers.

Comment

shouldn't the hd4800 series be pretty good with physics because of the 800 stream processors?

Comment

At least 80% of the games with physics being used are using Havok, and then 10% use thier own. (Eg. Frostbite is being used in Battlefield B.C). So Nvidia Physx is definitly going to be a hard sell. Also both ATi and Intel are starting to look more to ray-tracing. Both the Intel Larabee(lol), and the 4800 series will fully support ray-tracing. I'm not so sure the Nvidia cards can do it, but I may be wrong on this. Anyway with the new Cpu's coming out and all the new features being implemented by the new generation of Gpu's, the next few years should be very interesting.

Ray tracing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_tracing_(graphics)
                Informative article: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid...e=expert&pid=2

Comment

Originally posted by Momo View Post
                  actually nvidia is paying some guy from ngohq.com to develop physx drivers for ati cards. just a matter of time..
                  I've read about this about 3-4 months ago, but have not heard anything since. Even if he gets it working, he's going to have to support the driver, and have regular updates. I'm doubting this will ever really get off the ground unless Ati start including it in their own drivers.

Comment

Working...
                  X