Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nvidia physx question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    nvidia physx question

    hey fellas, i just downloaded th nvidia drivers 177.92..they are suppose to provide physx support for ut3..however after downloading and installing them i cant get the heatray physx turned on? how do you enable them or get them to work? i selected hardware physx in the graphics menu but nothing? im running two evga 8800 512 gts in sli? anybody elese having trouble?

    #2
    My brother runs 2 X 8800gtx. He starts the Physx maps at 70-80fps, and after a minute or two the fps drops below 10fps. So it may be Sli issues itself. Try with just one card and see what happens. As for enabling physx, I'm pretty sure you just have to load the physx maps and the physics should be in use as long as you select use hardware acceleration from the game options.

    PS: There are 3 physx maps that I know of and they are different than the stock maps. Here's the link: http://browse.files.filefront.com/Un...owsefiles.html

    Comment


      #3
      hey sincreator..the problem is i cant select the heatray physx board..it just doesnt show up on the list..? i watched a youtube video of spme1 playing ut3 and they went to the maplist and selected "heatray physx" mine just doesnt show this in the maplist/ check this video out
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXloFFjr5Xo
      thanx for your help

      Comment


        #4
        So you downloaded the physx pack? The physx maps dont come with UT3 by default. That's why I gave you the link in my previous post. If you did download the Physx map pack then they should be there. Unless you have never downloaded any custom maps before outside the game. In which case you need to go to the my computer/documents and settings/my games/unrealtournament3/utgame folder and rename the unpublished folder to published and finally put the maps in:
        this folder for XP: C:\Documents and Settings\Your user name\My Documents\My Games\UnrealTournament3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\ CustomMaps
        this folder for vista: C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\My Games\UnrealTournament3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\ CustomMaps

        Just delete the existing published folder first. Should be golden after that. I think

        PS: Any maps that you want to download to play offline, have to be put in the custom maps folder under the utgame folder through the documents and settings folder. NOT the install folder.


        Folders, Folders, Folders, LOL!

        Comment


          #5
          Just to let you know, you don't need to enable the 'Hardware Physics' option for the physics to work. Once you have installed the physic drivers your computer will be able to use it. The 'Hardware Physics' option just changes what does the work. If you enable it then your graphics card will do all the physics work. If you don't have an actual physics card, this could cause the game to crash or freeze at times for some people like me. With the option disabled then your CPU will do the work.

          Also I would recommend disabling 'Motion Blur' when playing the physics map as it removes the particles flying around. One example is in Heat Ray-Physx, you can't see the hail.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by sincreator View Post
            My brother runs 2 X 8800gtx. He starts the Physx maps at 70-80fps, and after a minute or two the fps drops below 10fps. So it may be Sli issues itself. Try with just one card and see what happens. As for enabling physx, I'm pretty sure you just have to load the physx maps and the physics should be in use as long as you select use hardware acceleration from the game options.

            PS: There are 3 physx maps that I know of and they are different than the stock maps. Here's the link: http://browse.files.filefront.com/Un...owsefiles.html
            I ran the physx maps with my 8800GTX's just fine with the 177.83 drivers. Did he remember to check the "Use hardware physx" box in the options?

            Comment


              #7
              I'm so confused about this physx nvidia thing...so let me get this straight and you can correct me if I'm wrong...OK here goes:

              -With the latest BETA release of the Nvidia drivers...you are able to enable EVERY kind of Physx operation in games which support it WITHOUT the need to go out and but a physx card?

              -With these drivers...your able to play the maps/games/demo's WITHOUT any slow down in the FPS due to the massive physics load, so buying a physx card is pointless because it's now enabled??

              -Warmonger now won't lag like **** now that my 8xx has these beta drivers installed?

              W..T..F? So if all that's correct...then why the hell did Ageia or h/o you spell it release HARDWARE and claim you needed one of their cards to enable these features?

              I heard that Nvidia bought out Ageia and took on board the Physx technology or something, and they have found a way to activate it via software?

              Holy ****, if I'm right that's totally awesome! But...wow sucks to be those people that bought the extra hardware.

              Maaaan I need to pay more attention to all this crazy shiz that's happening :S.

              BTW...why is there .92 beta version and a .83?? .83 is on the "power pack" site...83mb's, .92 version on nvidias "beta" section, 118mb :S.

              Well I'm getting the .92 version seeing as it says the same thing

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by †TYRANICK†™ View Post
                -With the latest BETA release of the Nvidia drivers...you are able to enable EVERY kind of Physx operation in games which support it WITHOUT the need to go out and but a physx card?
                I don't know about the beta drivers, but yes with the new Nvidia Physics drivers you can enable the physics without a physics card.


                Originally posted by †TYRANICK†™ View Post
                -With these drivers...your able to play the maps/games/demo's WITHOUT any slow down in the FPS due to the massive physics load, so buying a physx card is pointless because it's now enabled??
                No. You'll take a hit in your fps on a physics map without a physics card. I get roughly 80 fps uncapped on a stock map. With the physics maps, I've dropped down to roughly 30 fps. On the Heat Ray-Physx map, I drop to 20 fps when the hail storm starts.

                No idea about the Warmonger lagging or not.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by †TYRANICK†™ View Post
                  W..T..F? So if all that's correct...then why the hell did Ageia or h/o you spell it release HARDWARE and claim you needed one of their cards to enable these features?
                  I believe it was because they made the card just for the purpose of offloading the physics from the CPU to their card to create a market (that they held the card for )...just prior to the creation of better video cards and Nvidia figuring out they could combine the two processes.

                  Originally posted by †TYRANICK†™ View Post
                  I heard that Nvidia bought out Ageia and took on board the Physx technology or something, and they have found a way to activate it via software?
                  That they did...it uses the GPU to offload physics from the CPU, but YOUR mileage may vary. I gather that now (except for Crisis ) there are cycles to spare on the new video cards and what better way to push your product than say "Hey, not only do we have a great video card BUT it will take some of the load off of your cpu and allow you MORE physix effects in the games that support the tech". The dedicated card will still perform better than the Video card running video and physix. But there are not that many maps showing the tech off. There are Three Main maps (Tornado being the heaviest FPS killer for me) with Heat Ray Physix being the best for me.

                  As time goes on more people will be adding movable / breakable / exploding etc. stuff to their maps and we will have an environment to play in that we have always hoped to have. The only thing to slow that down will be the people without New Nvidia cards or any new dedicated Physix cards. Then they will have a bad time playing those maps if they can play them at all.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by AcidVenom View Post
                    I don't know about the beta drivers, but yes with the new Nvidia Physics drivers you can enable the physics without a physics card.




                    No. You'll take a hit in your fps on a physics map without a physics card. I get roughly 80 fps uncapped on a stock map. With the physics maps, I've dropped down to roughly 30 fps. On the Heat Ray-Physx map, I drop to 20 fps when the hail storm starts.

                    No idea about the Warmonger lagging or not.
                    Quit talking like you know everything. I ran all the physx maps fine over an extended game. And no, I only have video cards. No physx card.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Dtrick View Post
                      Quit talking like you know everything. I ran all the physx maps fine over an extended game. And no, I only have video cards. No physx card.
                      Sorry that I came across that way. I was only talking about my experiences. I don't ever use beta drivers, so I can't comment on them. And I only have 1 8800GT card. When I play the physx maps, I take a huge hit on fps.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by AcidVenom View Post
                        Sorry that I came across that way. I was only talking about my experiences. I don't ever use beta drivers, so I can't comment on them. And I only have 1 8800GT card. When I play the physx maps, I take a huge hit on fps.
                        It's possible that having two video cards might have some effect with the physx drivers. Maybe it goes into single card mode and turns the other card into a PPU? /shrug

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X