How will these specs hold up to ut3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How will these specs hold up to ut3?

Well ive been saving up money for a while now to get a new pc that can handle ut3 smoothly and with good res and what not.. well im getting close to my goal and before i go and spend it all i want to get all the opinions i can on what i need for it. soo heres what ive been looking at, plz comment on improvments or changes that you think i should make, ty.

Operating system: Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core processor E2200 (2.2GHz)

Memory: 4GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x2048)

Graphics card: Ati Radeon: HD 4870 (512MB)

Hard drive: 250GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive

CPU is weak link imho, it is worth saving(if you have to) for an 8400 , then that system will fly. You don't mention MBoard or PSU?

On another point, if you have xp already you'd be better sticking with that,rather than buying vista-I speak from first hand experience here, as I switched back to xp from vista premium 64 -Maybe what you'll save can get you that better cpu even.

Comment

Your PC has almost I dentical specs to mine and I run mine at 1024*640 resolution with 4 world and texture detail and I get a solid 30+ FPS on most maps, some custom maps (Shrift, Dreary3, and other really graphically intensive maps can drag it down though). With your specs you should run it just fine, it'll only get better as you continue to upgrade.

Comment

That computer can obviously run UT3 just fine. The processor kind of sucks compared to the rest of the hardware though.

Comment

Yeah, that proc is a major bottleneck.

Comment

The CPU would be the bottleneck in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by Unreal Guard View Post
              Well ive been saving up money for a while now to get a new pc that can handle ut3 smoothly and with good res and what not.. well im getting close to my goal and before i go and spend it all i want to get all the opinions i can on what i need for it. soo heres what ive been looking at, plz comment on improvments or changes that you think i should make, ty.

Operating system: Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core processor E2200 (2.2GHz)

Memory: 4GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x2048)

Graphics card: Ati Radeon: HD 4870 (512MB)

Hard drive: 250GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
              I hear the graphics card is kickass... It makes me wonder why the hell you want to waste your money on it if youre buying the e2200 though.... seriously! according to others in the forum if you stick with xp 2 gigs will be just fine. the q6600 isnt too expensive and with 30 bucks or so you could overclock it like crazy. why stick with dual core when 6 cores are coming out in september? i dont see duals lasting very long.

Comment

Originally posted by Tailsnake View Post
                Your PC has almost I dentical specs to mine and I run mine at 1024*640 resolution with 4 world and texture detail and I get a solid 30+ FPS on most maps, some custom maps (Shrift, Dreary3, and other really graphically intensive maps can drag it down though). With your specs you should run it just fine, it'll only get better as you continue to upgrade.
                Well that is pretty weak, especially if you do have HD4870. With better prosessor you would easily get solid +60 fps on every situation.

Overclocking that E2200 over 3Ghz would also help a lot if you dont want to buy a new one.

Comment

Yup, the rig of the original poster is just fine to play UT3 at a solid 60fps.

For most games the CPU isn't a problem (unless you play supreme commander ^^), and an E2200 is already pretty good : In spite of its name, it's actually faster than the E4300, it's about the same as an E6300 : It has less cache, but a slightly improved architecture (I think) and runs at a higher speed.
                  Besides, you can overclock it pretty easily, so it's really not a problem, and I think the configuration is pretty balanced.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueScreenJunky View Post
                    Yup, the rig of the original poster is just fine to play UT3 at a solid 60fps.
                    No its not. The cpu is huge bottleneck for that graphics card.

Even my old E6600 was a little bottleneck for this game with 8800GTS (G92) at 1280x1024 resolution. On some warfare maps I had some fps drops when there was lots of action and when I looked at the task manager it showed that cpu usage had been 100% few times.

When I overclocked it to 3Ghz those fps drops reduced pretty much. So trust me, E2200 with stock speed is a huge bottleneck for HD4870.

Comment

With the amount you are spending, which Im going to guess is around $600, I would change the parts for:

Intel E7200 - $120
                      ATI 4850 - $185
                      2GB DDR2 1066 (or DDR2 1200?) - $80-100

but thats just me....

Comment

Originally posted by MTL View Post
                        With the amount you are spending, which Im going to guess is around $600, I would change the parts for:

Intel E7200 - $120
                        ATI 4850 - $185
                        2GB DDR2 1066 (or DDR2 1200?) - $80-100

but thats just me....
                        Cheapest 800mhz (2 or 4 gigs) memory and HD4870 is much better choise.
                        1066 and 1200mhz memory is just a waste of money. Especially if you are not going to overclock your system to the max.

Many 800mhz memory will overclock over 1000mhz if nessesary, so no need to pay extra from memorys that are just overclocked DD2.

Comment

Working...
                        X