This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV commercial rant.

I'm sure someone here has mentioned it before, but I just saw a commercial on TV for UT3. What disgusts me is that they completely left out all the best features of UT3. Yeah, there is a deeper story this time - but most of the people who bought UT3 didn't buy it for that. They bought it for the multiplayer! Why not advertise that instead? Even in the E3 trailers from years past, the arena style gameplay had SOME mention at least.

I don't know if the guys at Epic had anything to do with the way it was advertised, but I think online play would be a bit more populated if multiplayer was the emphasis.

Don't get me wrong, the single player was enjoyable. But ultimately short. And I didn't get this 'epic' sense of accomplishment for completing it, and I didn't even get the same rush from that as I did from the solid online play.

Anyone else's thoughts?

I don't give a **** about TV game comercials but apparently alot of people do...
    But unfortunatly the comercial doesn't say **** about UT3, it just shows the lesser fraction of it.

Comment

They did not advertise the MP, because everyone (even casual gamers) knows that the UT series has always had enjoyable MP. They didn't need to advertise the MP for it to sell.

They advertised the campaign mode (which was horrible, IMO), because they wanted to appeal to gamers who are looking for a SP campaign.

-Marth

Comment

I'd like to see this commerical.

I'm guessing it isn't this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4aiocT5I6E

Comment

Epic has argued over and over in the past (re:UT3) that most of their UT players have never gone online. The commercials and failure to implement any MP friendly features to the game are consistent with this.

Comment

I was under the impression that Midway was handling all the marketing...

Comment

Yeah, the publishers are usually the ones that handle the marketing.

Microsoft marketed the hell out of Gears of War. EPIC didn't really do much in terms of advertising. I'm guessing Midway did the same with UT3.

-Marth

Comment

Originally posted by SaxxonPike View Post
                Yeah, there is a deeper story this time - but most of the people who bought UT3 didn't buy it for that.
                Gears of War was story-oriented, and it sold a lot of units. There you go.

Originally posted by Marth View Post
                They did not advertise the MP, because everyone (even casual gamers) knows that the UT series has always had enjoyable MP.
                I don't think they believe that, though. I believe Midway was operating on the assumption that most people don't know UT at all, save for an insignificant obscure group of PC gamers. Hence the reason for slapping "from the studio that brought you Gears of War" on the side of the box.

I think desperate Midway thought they were getting a golden ticket here, that Gears of War was going to sell this title, that people would just eat it up. They dropped the ball, and now they're in some dire straits. If Mk vs DC doesn't do well, I think they're finished.

Originally posted by Trepænima View Post
                Epic has argued over and over in the past (re:UT3) that most of their UT players have never gone online. The commercials and failure to implement any MP friendly features to the game are consistent with this.
                And sadly, they failed to implement a lot of SP features as well. Instant action is what offline players do, they don't sit and play the tourney ladder over and over. Instant action is where you use all those custom models, maps and mutators you downloaded that may not be running on online servers.

UT3's instant action options got stripped down to the bone, so it actually works worse than any of the previous games. That campaign was really, really not worth losing instant action.

Comment

Was lame, it also marketed the worst aspect of the game, the storyline. No ingame footage showing how the game actually looks like, the cool vehicles etc...Then again they couldn't really advertise the online social/multiplayer aspects of the game nor splitscreen nor mods since the consoles and pc varies in these features too much.

The GOW one where it was raining, where he walks into this building with the big monster, that one was cool.

Comment

Working...
                  X