This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why so different? PC/PS3/360

Ok, this has been bothering me for a while now. There were things done to the console version that I totally disagree with, like:

1. Huge Hitboxes
    2. Slower gameplay
    3. Aim-assist
    4. No pings(360 only)

I've been playing the PC version with the 360 controller since release, and I have no need for any aim assists, larger hitboxes, and slowed gameplay. It just takes practice/skill. I picked up the 360 version, and once I saw all of these things I went back to the PC version in a hurry. I'm not alone on this because I have 4-5 of my buddies using the controller as well for the PC.(that came from the xbox version)

My question is why would you need to do this? IMO these things seperate the skilled players from the not so skilled players. Sure it takes a little while to get used to it, but thats part of the fun.

Agree or Disagree?

PS: Epic please dont lock or delete this thread. It would be nice to see if your fans prefer the PC style controls/gameplay over the current console controls. All of these issues could/should be easily changed. This game is great, and this thread was not made to bash on Epic/UT3 or anything. I just want to help the community make this game even better. Thank you.

There is a few things I would like to see on the Xbox as well. My mate has the PC version and he has confirmed for me there is a spectator mode. Why isn't there one for the 360 ?

I too would like to see a PING meter and a spectator mode as well as a few other things. I haven't touched my UT3 on the 360 for a while now, and probably won't until EPIC release a patch for it. I am even considering taking it back because of these few things that are important in a online FPS.

Hopefully they do it before it dies out completely on the consoles

Btw, I wouldn't call it slow gameplay on the 360 as it's one of the fastest shooters I have ever played.

Comment

i've only had the chance to play on the 360 once for about an hour. i was wondering about the first three things you mentioned. totally changes the gameplay experience for me. using a console controller aside, these differences make this game feel waaay different to me. in a sort of uncomfortable way... i could try to over come this, but why? i'm playing on pc...

and about the 360 controller thing, i had no idea... i'm kb/m and you ate me like a bag of white castles, or a rack of nice ribs...

maybe i need to play more

Comment

Originally posted by rek View Post
        i've only had the chance to play on the 360 once for about an hour. i was wondering about the first three things you mentioned. totally changes the gameplay experience for me. using a console controller aside, these differences make this game feel waaay different to me. in a sort of uncomfortable way... i could try to over come this, but why? i'm playing on pc...

and about the 360 controller thing, i had no idea... i'm kb/m and you ate me like a bag of white castles, or a rack of nice ribs...

maybe i need to play more
        Ya alot of people are surprised. Im not saying Im real good or anything, but I can hold my own. In a 1v1 the kb/m players will kick my azz. lol. Now on the console there were people that were alot better than me in UC1/UC2 using a controller. These people would probally do even better than me with a controller in UT3.

Here's my stats from enemy down: http://www.enemydown.co.uk/ut3stats.php?id=113136423

Comment

Btw, I wouldn't call it slow gameplay on the 360 as it's one of the fastest shooters I have ever played.

It is significantly slower than the PC version, but it still is a fast-paced fragfest.

-Marth

Comment

Originally posted by Marth View Post

It is significantly slower than the PC version, but it still is a fast-paced fragfest.

-Marth
            I was only saying it was slower than the PC, not that it was slow overall. Your right it is fast, for a console game.

Comment

I play on PS3 so I've used the PCSpeedX mod and it's not too difficult to adjust to the faster PC speed, but even at the slowed console speed there were a considerable amount of reviewers calling the game "insanely fast" or "too fast." My biggest problem with the speed difference is that it's only movement speed that's changed so it changes gameplay compared to the PC version (Rate of fire of weapons is the same as the PC which makes weapons like the link gun and stinger particularly powerful).

The aim-assist hurts far more often than it helps (I can't fathom why there isn't an option to turn it off, especially for KB/M users on PS3) and the lack of ping on the 360 is just stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Tailsnake View Post
                I play on PS3 so I've used the PCSpeedX mod and it's not too difficult to adjust to the faster PC speed, but even at the slowed console speed there were a considerable amount of reviewers calling the game "insanely fast" or "too fast." My biggest problem with the speed difference is that it's only movement speed that's changed so it changes gameplay compared to the PC version (Rate of fire of weapons is the same as the PC which makes weapons like the link gun and stinger particularly powerful).

The aim-assist hurts far more often than it helps (I can't fathom why there isn't an option to turn it off, especially for KB/M users on PS3) and the lack of ping on the 360 is just stupid.
                The reason the link gun and stinger are so powerfull is because of the hitbox sizes, and the speed. I've tested the 360 version with some buddies. You dont even need to hit the head to get a headsot with the sniper.

It may have to do with latency as well, but with no ping it's really hard to say for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by sincreator View Post
                  The reason the link gun and stinger are so powerfull is because of the hitbox sizes, and the speed. I've tested the 360 version with some buddies. You dont even need to hit the head to get a headsot with the sniper.

It may have to do with latency as well, but with no ping it's really hard to say for sure.
                  That's true, but it's not what I mean.

The Linkgun fires at the PC Speed but the bullets move at the PS3 Speed creating a "thicker" spread of link gun bullets and making it harder to dodge between them (excellent for spammers).

The stinger fires at the PC Speed but people move at the PS3 Speed. So if a player moves between two peices of cover while being shot by a stinger he'll take about 20% more damage on the PS3 than on the PC while in the open. The change also makes the stinger secondary a viable weapon (which is one of the only good changes due to the movement speed decrease).

Comment

BTW. For all the people that want cross-platform play "maybe" at some point. This would be the only way to do it without giving a huge edge to the PC. There's no way the console players would be able to keep up with the PC players with the current "default" control schemes, and the hitboxes would have to be smaller as well on the console. Basically the only way cross-platform is going to ever happen is if the versions are identical movement/hitbox/speed wise.

Comment

Cross-platform UT3 will never happen not least because console manufacturers would obviously not be interested in authorising a frustrating eye-opener for the users, and ultimately few consolers would actually be willing to subject themselves to the onslaught so I don't see why Epic would invest their time in this.

Comment

the game never needed aim assist or slowed down gameplay. Is it not possible to have server's which can toggle it on or off just like in GTA IV ?

Comment

360 version is the best and will sell the best

no need 4 thread /

Comment

Originally posted by CuTTingEdg3 777 View Post
                            360 version is the best and will sell the best

no need 4 thread /
                            Nope, PC is the best and it looks like PS3 may have sold the best considering how little hype the 360 version has gotten (and the fact that the PS3 community at release was far larger than the 360 community ever was). Happy now?

Comment

Originally posted by CuTTingEdg3 777 View Post
                              [ XYZ ] is the best and will sell the best
                              LOL Not necessarily true, as PC operating systems or say food markets clearly demonstrate

Comment

Working...
                              X