wacky idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wacky idea

Ok, first of all, no one, specially the epic board admins, flame this or close this thread, please. It's not the usual "when will ut3 linux blah blah blah...", thread, this is about something different, for the community here to ponder on. What about this. Since the ut3 server population is been, well, pretty low to say the least, specially when compared to previous ut games, and seeing that Epic is very busy with GoW2, (which apparently is their new main IP), what if Epic open sourced the entire UT3. Think about that, I dont mean the unreal engine 3. That's a very valuable property for Epic, and it's undoubtly the most successful technology of this generation. I mean the game code specifically to ut3. All the game assets would remain propietary of course. Wouldnt that be what this game needs? It would inmediately create an interest in many gaming communities around the world, making headlines in gaming sites, and thus spiking interest in this game.

Of course it would still be necessary to purchase the game in order to play it, offline and online, but it would add an enourmous modding/customizing value to it. it'd be the most versatile and powerful gaming toolkit in the market today. Suddenly, efforts to add many features to ut3 would appear worldwide, and it would be a great gift to the very dedicated pc gaming fanbase the Unreal Tournament games have.

Epic prides itself in having within their ranks talented people that got started from the modding community, making mods that showed their impressive skills, much so that Epic hired them. This would be some sort of ut3 extensive training program, by which not only mapping/modelling and scripting is available to everyone, but actual engine tweaking, like visuals, using other libraries besides the ones ut3 uses, like physics systems, etc.

As for which license to choose from, maybe a specifically made license which allows any kind of modification for non-commercial uses would be more pleasing to every side. I know, the GPL is some ways would be appropiate since it demands any modifications to be GPL as well, but it allows commercial exploitation too, and that probably wouldnt be in Epic's interests. The BSD license is similar but it allows code changes to be kept propietary, so that one probably isnt appropiate either.

Now, i know probably the people in power in Epic, those who could make this a reality, wont see this, and if they do they wouldnt even consider it, but it's a cool idea. Anyways, thanks for your time.

The problem is that UT3 uses several 3rd party proprietary tools in it like FaceFX, SpeedTree and PhysX just to mention a few.
    Also I'm not seeing Epic doing that since The Unreal Engine 3 is their bread and butter and main income as well.

But anyway the UT3 game itself is highly moddable and allows alot of people to learn Unreal Engine 3 technology.
    So you get two awesome things a Game and a very powerfull game technology tool at your disposal to study and work on.

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooMaster View Post
      The problem is that UT3 uses several 3rd party proprietary tools in it like FaceFX, SpeedTree and PhysX just to mention a few.
      Also I'm not seeing Epic doing that since The Unreal Engine 3 is their bread and butter and main income as well.

But anyway the UT3 game itself is highly moddable and allows alot of people to learn Unreal Engine 3 technology.
      So you get two awesome things a Game and a very powerfull game technology tool at your disposal to study and work on.
      Hmm, in my posting, i addressed many of those aspects. Of course I dont mean the unreal engine 3, that can and should remain propietary and licensable, i only meant the game code specific to ut3. I probably didnt include the 3rd party components that you mention, yes, skipping those too would be necessary. ut3 specific chunks of code, making up to something like a very big ut3 SDK, that'd be amazing to have. Maybe the community could study that and write up some sort of detailed, constantly updated ut3 wiki. The epic wiki docs are sort of outdated now. But i agree that ut3 by itself is highly moddable and a good modding tool.

Comment

The bulk of the source code is already available; most of the code, aside from the engine code you speak of, is in UnrealScript and is downloadable from UDN. For the most part, only the low level game engine code, or parts that require extreme performance, are done in C++...

Comment

oh i see. Is unrealscript as flexible to use as, lets say, LUA?

Comment

Working...
          X