Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ability to limit minimum ping rate from server.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ability to limit minimum ping rate from server.

I've been playing on-line games for a long time and the single biggest factor in winning, beside skill, is ping. Lowest ping always has the jump over higher ping players. It's maddening that this issue has never been addressed and fixed. I am suggesting giving the server admin the ability to set a minimum ping. Setting it to something like 100 would greatly level the playing fields for all and make it much more enjoyable. I've been in games with a ping of 120 and be shot by someone who never appeared to me to turn around. 100 is not bad until you're playing against someone with a 50 or less and constantly getting killed. Level the playing field already!

Also, UT3 needs to curb bunny hopping as a offensive tactic. I believe Valve saw this as a real issue and limited movement right after the first jump (if I remember correctly). It's kind of like real life where you won't be as strong on the second jump or be able to run as fast. It really killed the bunny jumpers and made their games much more fun to play.

i think some guy jumping around constantly is hilarious anyways.

but, man, if there was ping limit to join servers, I would be unable to play ANYWHERE. The lowest ping I can get on a server in any gamemode is 120. Do you want to take away my ability to play online? That would effectively kill ut3 for me.

Comment

Seriously, do you think there are hordes of players screaming to get on the servers for this game, that you can arbitrarily filter out everyone who can't get a ping under 100?

Well good luck with that

bclagge: yeah Im sure your right that's probably what he means. not enough sleep, getting brain damaged

I'd still vote it down though. If some guy can get a 20 ping let him enjoy it. I don't mind a challenge and I still kill them once in a while.

Comment

I don't think he wants to filter the players, he wants to force everyone less than 100 ping to have 100 ping.

I have to say NO to both of your ideas.

If you start forcing everyone to a minimum ping, people are just going to leave and go to a server where they aren't forced. I know I would. That server would quickly lose popularity.

Bunny hopping is integral in UT. It's a huge part of the game. Instead of lamenting the fact it makes sense that you should try and learn how to predict movement so that you can hit the bunny hopper.

Comment

I don't understand your reasoning for a minimum ping limit. Why are you joining servers so far from where you are? Why punish the people that live near the server just because you don't? This issue has been addressed and fixed with setting a maxium ping limit on the servers, if the admin wants.

Comment

Could always come play on xbox 360, no bunny hopping with a controller. Since you cant jump & consistently aim at the same time. =p

Comment

Both ideas are bad.

It's stupid to force a higher ping upon someone because they have a better connection than you. That's like handicapping certain football players because they're bigger than others. I pay for my cable, and I'm not about to have lag intentionally introduced to my client because someone happens to have a higher ping. I played the original UT on dial-up for years, so get used to it, or get better internet.

Secondly, bunny-hopping is not a problem. Anyone who's doing it is going to get raped by even half-decent players - it's predictable and easy to hit.

Comment

I don't think you have noticed this but there are only a few full games going on UT3 at any one time. This is not Counter Strike, I can't just find a better ping game with a large group playing and play there. I certainly try to pick those that offer the highest ping, but they are still substantially far from me while being much closer to others.

How is it considered a very fair game if it's all ping related? Who is the cry baby, the one who wants to keep the unfair advantage or the one who wants to take it away and level the field for all? That is not really a question, the one who wants to keep the unfair advantage certainly is the baby. This person knows they are not that good and only looks for a game that can support their ego with enough players that are easily killed just due to their distance from the server.

You would not notice the difference if everyone was limited to 100. There is no discernible lag at that speed especially if all were capped at it. It is not a question of "better connection". I have cable and can download at 3 megs a second, I am only limited by how far from a server I am to get a good ping.

I don't see how making the game fair for everyone is worse than keeping it unfair except for a very few that happen to be closer to the server. Epic can keep this poor situation going, and never gain much on-line player count, or they can be wise and fix it for the good of all.

In the end I think UT3 is a great game. It has so many qualities it really shines above all other competitors in the on-line class. I just wish the question of ping, and it's overall deciding factor, be taken away and let players skill rule the outcome.

Comment

So you want to artificially lag everyone to compensate for the highest latency player? That is a terrible idea.

Comment

Originally posted by RemeberMe View Post
                    I don't think you have noticed this but there are only a few full games going on UT3 at any one time. This is not Counter Strike, I can't just find a better ping game with a large group playing and play there. I certainly try to pick those that offer the highest ping, but they are still substantually far from me while being much closer to others. You would not notice the difference if everyone was limited to 100. It is not a question of "better connection" you obviously don't know how this works. I have cable and can download at 3 megs a second, I am only limited by how far from a server I am to get a good ping. I don't see how making the game more fair for everyone is worse than keeping it unfair except for a very few. Epic can keep this poor situation going, and never gain the on-line player count if they chose to do so. How is it considered a very fair game if it's all ping related? Who is the cry baby, the one who wants to keep the unfair advantage or the one who wants to take it away and level the feild for all? That is not really a question, the one who wants to keep the unfair advantage certainly is the baby. This person knows they are not that good and only looks for a game that can support their ego with enough players that are easily killed just due to their distance for the server.
                    People from all over the world play in the few popular servers and the ones with the worst pings complain the least about it, and are sometimes really good players despite their ping.

Ok, fine, have Epic implement your idea. Give server admins the option to force a minimum ping. Want to take bets on how many admins of popular servers implement this option?

Comment

You have to adjust your playing style too, moving hitscan/combos become a no no, obviously. With a full server spam will get you quite a few kills in UT3, spam fire is a big problem in UT3 however and in part that kill ease make UT3 less suited to competitive play , Ut2004 was much more rewarding for precise play ,as a fps should be imo.

Comment

All I hear is crying. I play every day with a ping of 120 and it never feels laggy. I just notice that I don't get the hits in or gotten away from when I'm playing people with near perfect ping. I've been playing on-line since the first Doom game and everyone has always known ping was the rulling factor and I'd just wish if some one was intelligent enough to finally remove it as the biggest deciding factor.

Comment

Remember Me, perhaps, just perhaps, you need to learn to play the game. While low ping does help a bit, having a high ping doesn't mean you have to lose. As an example, one week ago, I took my computer with me on vacation down to Florida. I have WiFi on my mobo and was interested in connecting to the WiFi at the condo I was staying in. Well, guess what, my ping ran from 130 to 375 most of the time, spiking up to 900+ at times. It took some getting used to, but guess what...............low and behold I won several matches with more than 6 peeps in the server and always scored towards the top.

So, are you a new player to UT? If you are, then perhaps you should go into spectate and watch some seasoned players play the maps. That should help you compensate for your slightly higher ping. As for not even seeing the peeps coming or shooting at you, well, guess what, it means they are just playing better than you, get earphones, turn up the volume, start looking around you when you play.

Then, again, you could go back to playing Counter Strike...... ughhhh!

Comment

Originally posted by Moloko View Post
                            You have to adjust your playing style too, moving hitscan/combos become a no no, obviously. With a full server spam will get you quite a few kills in UT3, spam fire is a big problem in UT3 however and in part that kill ease make UT3 less suited to competitive play , Ut2004 was much more rewarding for precise play ,as a fps should be imo.
                            I am new to the jargon you are using. I don't post often but feel silence on this issue is not working, they are not going to fix it without complaints.

What do you mean by hitscan/combos? What is meant by spam fire?

I will try UT2004 to see if I like it more but will miss the wonderfull graphics of UT3.

Comment

I'm burnt out on CS. I stopped playing it years ago (4?).

I am a good player, there is no doubt about it. I find it very hard to believe Warped Out was beating anyone over 8 years old with a ping of 300. I would wipe out a whole team of people that had 300.

And so now it does appears WO is taking a completely different stance than everyone (even me). WO is stating ping has practically nothing to do with the outcome. I think WO is alone on this. But, taking WO statement only adds to my request of limiting ping as an answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X