Downloading Maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downloading Maps

There are so many custom maps out there that look so good, but how come I don't see them on servers? Is it possible to download maps from the server you join like you can in a lot of games, such as CoD and Valve games? If not, why haven't Epic implemented such a feature? Crytek were considering putting it in Crysis but then ditched the next patch which may have come with it; and was the only thing holding a lot of people back from the playing the multiplayer. If Epic were to put such a feature in I can forsee the multiplayer become very popular; on the basis that it doesn't already exist in UT3.

I am not quiet understanding your post, first you say that there a lot of custom maps but none server is having them in their maprotation. Then you start about that you are downloading things from servers, yes it is possible to download maps from server (if it's enabled from serverside). The files you download are put in your Cache-folder, and I thought someone made a program to make this into proper maps in your UT3-install so you can enjoy them in Instant Action.

Im not sure though, so correct me if I'm wrong!

Comment

I mean that I have seen many custom maps on these forums, but not on the servers I have played on; only the official UT3 maps. Thus I am just wondering whether this is possible in UT3. You claim that it is a serverside option; but I never see any custom maps.

Comment

Originally posted by newguy View Post
        There are so many custom maps out there that look so good, but how come I don't see them on servers? Is it possible to download maps from the server you join like you can in a lot of games, such as CoD and Valve games? If not, why haven't Epic implemented such a feature? Crytek were considering putting it in Crysis but then ditched the next patch which may have come with it; and was the only thing holding a lot of people back from the playing the multiplayer. If Epic were to put such a feature in I can forsee the multiplayer become very popular; on the basis that it doesn't already exist in UT3.
        Fro...om is right, you will download maps automatically. You'll download any files needed to play that map on that server -- including mutators. By default it will download straight from the server, which might be a bit slow. Server admins will usually provide a redirect for faster downloads.

I'm not sure what gametype you're playing, but if you play Warfare then check out this post about a custom map party this Saturday. HTH.

EDIT: BGE has custom maps loaded on their second server right now. Read the post that I linked to above for information.

Comment

People are finally getting tired of playing the same stock maps over and over. Taffy's TDM is getting some good playtime as of late, and more people seem to be willing to try out the custom maps.

I've actually tried to narrow down the number of maps so people don't become overwhelmed with 10000 maps to choose from. I feel it's a pretty good collection of the most popular maps.

The redirect allows the maps to be downloaded from an optical server in LA. I'm in the DC area and can download a 40M map in about 30-40 seconds. I do have *** premier service so that helps.

Here is the map list:
          DM-Agony3-SE
          DM-CBP3-August
          DM-CampGrounds]i[
          DM-Codex-FE
          DM-Curse5-1
          DM-Deck
          DM-Defiance
          DM-Flustered-LE
          DM-GrendelKeep3_CE
          DM-HeatRay-LE
          DM-DE_Ironic
          DM-Liandri
          DM-CD_TheLongestYard_2007
          DM-CBP3-Salvation
          DM-Sentinel
          DM-ShangriLa
          DM-Subterrane
          DM-TempestX2

IP: 69.147.255.158:7777

Comment

Originally posted by newguy View Post
            I mean that I have seen many custom maps on these forums, but not on the servers I have played on; only the official UT3 maps. Thus I am just wondering whether this is possible in UT3. You claim that it is a serverside option; but I never see any custom maps.
            Like the people above me said, a server needs to 'install the custom maps so that they can be played, most servers have standard maps only. Search well or try to convince a serveradmin to host certain custom maps in the maplist

Comment

The Clan Deviants' server, Green Glow of Deviance @ 8.37.55:7777, has many custom maps on it, all of which are available here.

One of the reasons you don't see a lot of servers with custom maps is players who don't have them don't want to take the time to get them. They see map "A" on a server, so they go get it and play but then, when the next map comes up, it is also a custom map, which they haven't gotten, so they go get it too...but by the time they d/l and install it the server has moved on to another custom map they don't have. This gets to be a PITA pretty quickly. If you wanted to d/l all of the content from the link above before ever going to the server, you would need to d/l 41 files totaling 4,251MB...which would take over 6hrs 20min with a 1.5Mb DSL connection. I do not use a redirect server for reasons that should be clear after you read the next paragraph.

Another reason: a couple of weeks ago I compiled all of the Make Something Unreal Contest (MSUC) map entries into 4 large archives, one for each game type -- these are also available at the link above. Once compiled, I had to upload the 4 .ZIP files to our web site...this took about 13 hours. I have not yet loaded most of those maps onto the server because uploading the uncompressed, unarchived files to the server takes even longer than putting the .ZIP files on the web site. After installing them on the server, they need to be tested to ensure they were installed correctly and work properly when people join and during map changes. Then, if I were to make these files available on a redirect server, I would have to compress them all again into .uz3 files and upload these to the redirect server. IOW, putting custom content on the servers is quite time consuming for the server admins, especially since UT3 maps and characters tend to be quite a bit larger than the ones from earlier versions of the game.

For these reasons, and likely others as well, a lot of server admins do not feel that it is worth the trouble to install custom content and then have the server sit idle because players don't want to be bothered with getting and installing the content...or having the players keep voting for the stock maps because they don't have the custom maps.

Comment

Working...
              X