Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best pc to play UT3

Hi,
    I want to upgrade my pc to play UT3. I have the money so I want to buy the best pc and video cards to have a wonderful UT3 playing experience. Is it possible to have a pc to play UT3 better then PS3 or Xbox? What are the ps3 and Xbox screen resolutions? I want to use a projector for playing UT so I need the highest screen resolution. Any suggestions are welcome

Regards,
    Nuri Erginer

Well a high end PC will surely out do a console version. However be prepared to pay 1500-2000 dollars to run it at max settings.

Comment

The PC is the way to go here, I say you get three Nvidia 280GTX cards and run them in triple-SLI, then get the best quadcore penryn, 8 GB RAM from OCZ/Ballistix/Corsair and uh, someone else will fill in, I don't know much about motherboards.

One note though: You'll need a very good PSU, over 1000 W to be sure.

Comment

1280x720 or 720p is the resolution that ut3 runs on the PS3 and 360. Its a middle resolution by PC standards (most benchmarks for new cards start at 1280x1024 and up)

If you are building a pc on your own and want to run at 1280x720 on a projector, a 700$ computer can so the trick fine.

A midrange system will look better than the consoles without a problem.

Masklin, I hope your joking about recommending that configuration, its not cost effective at all and is a waste of performance if he plans to run at low resolutions.

Comment

if you want an HD projector (yes there is such a thing) it will cost you around 2000 bucks though

Comment

I would recommend building your PC more "Bang for the buck".

asus P5K64-WS Intel processor+quad crossfire(4XPCI-E) 200$
            2X4870 in crossfire 550$(one of these would probally be more than enough)
            Q6600 intel processor 185$/ e8400 core2dual 210$
            750w PS with 25+ Amps on the 12v rails. 150$
            2Gb DDR-3 1333 Memory. 100$ (the mobo is DDR-2/DDR-3)
            320gb HDD 60$
            Antec 900 Gaming case. 100$

Total for tower with 2 video cards and the q6600=$1345

Total for tower with 1 video card and the e8400=$1100

Now if you want all the extras as well...

Monitor 22"LCD=200$
            Decent kb/m=100$
            5.1 surround sound speakers= 60$ for the logitech X-530/540

These are all ballpark prices. Some may be 20$ more or less.
            Also the quad crossfire/DDR-3 support may come in handy down the road, when games stop running so well.
            Ive seen some motherboards that offer the same features for 350$ So this seems like a definite win-win situation for this board.
            Here's a link to a review for the P5K64-WS mobo http://www.thinkcomputers.org/index....&id=719&page=7

Just in case anyone else wants to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinnison View Post
              if you want an HD projector (yes there is such a thing) it will cost you around 2000 bucks though
              Nah, you can get a good 720p projector for around 1000$ get DLP, LCDs are poor.

I personally use a SVGA DLP projector, works very nice. It is not a native HD set but can display any HD signal and costed my 300$. The PS3 was more than the projector :-/.

Comment

remember to buy a 24" monitor (DELL 2408 24" has every port you will ever need). whats the use of all the power if you cant put it to use. ut3 @ 1920x1200 all max looks so hot.

Comment

1920x1200... no bad man.. very big display.

--------------------------------
                  support @ fntoy.com

Comment

Originally posted by oxygen View Post
                    Hi,
                    I want to upgrade my pc to play UT3. I have the money so I want to buy the best pc and video cards to have a wonderful UT3 playing experience. Is it possible to have a pc to play UT3 better then PS3 or Xbox? What are the ps3 and Xbox screen resolutions? I want to use a projector for playing UT so I need the highest screen resolution. Any suggestions are welcome

Regards,
                    Nuri Erginer
                    1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

UT3 - we know - help us help you

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

Comment

UTPlayer, AMD used to be just as good as Intel so back then it was a question of fanboyism. Either way you could get a good processor, if u went with Intel or AMD.
                      That has changed since C2D. Now, Intel is just so much better for the same money its no question anymore of fanboyism. Just go with Intel or wait till AMD comes with something new again. Though it is unlikely that AMD will get out of this mess very quickly. Intel is working on a future generation aswell which is also very promising.
                      And no I'm not an Intelfanboy. I used to buy AMD aswell. Its just its changed now, with this generation of procs.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKillGrill View Post
                        Nah, you can get a good 720p projector for around 1000$ get DLP, LCDs are poor.

I personally use a SVGA DLP projector, works very nice. It is not a native HD set but can display any HD signal and costed my 300$. The PS3 was more than the projector :-/.
                        sorry, I meant FULL hd. Of course its been some time since I checked the prices, they probably would be a little cheper now anyways

Comment

Best pc for a simulator

The main reason I am asking this question is to setup a commertial simulator. So I need the best image quality with a projector. I am ready to pay the price. So I need the state of the art technology. I need your suggestions.

Regards,
                          Nuri Erginer

Comment

err projector = bad idea.
                            you will have to spend a high penny on it if you want anything decent.
                            the cheapest thing i can think of is a epson powerlite s5 which runs at 1920x1080 (it says 1440x1080 but its not, and the site just says 1080) and costs 500$ at sam's club or 600$ elsewhere.
                            problem is its an LCD.
                            LCD < DLP

with any projector be prepared to replace the bulb yearly for 200$ (if you use it a lot, expect to replace it more)
                            with an LCD projector you will eventually get the "blue smudge" which means the filter is going out and thats even more expensive... oh and you cant do it, a trained technician has to fix it, thats about 1000$ and happens every year, if your lucky you might pull over 2 years, but not with high usage time.

i recommend optoma if your willing to spend the extra buck(s)...(sssss).
                            newegg has the hd803 for 2500$

if your really stupid, and you just won the lottery, you can buy a christie projector for about 15,000$ to 40,000$ , but they have a good image XD

edit:
                            commercial simulator? of ut3??

Comment

Originally posted by oxygen View Post
                              Hi,

Regards,
                              Nuri Erginer
                              You ask advice on the Best, Well to be Honest everyones opinion[and thats what it is] is different, If you already have a projector, then I hope it is a Home Theater Quality, I can only reccomend what I know to be The Best, it will Work with a HUGE Screen but there are some unknowns, because the Larger the screen size the harder the load on the Video card/Processor/Ram/Motherboard/PSU which all go into the complex design of what you are asking.
                              My Suggestion is first you have to decide How Much you are willing to pay for this system, because it will be expensive, if money is a object then there are options:
                              CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme Qx9775 3.2ghz
                              GPU: BFG Tech BFGEGTX2801024OCXE GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit x3
                              PSU: SILVERSTONE ST1200 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply - Retail

these are 3 of the best, with the PSU you will have to make sure it is capable of supporting all video cards with the correct amperage, this one is capable of 3 and provides 6 6 pin connectors=3 280 video cards
                              Another issue is the Motherboards, the ones that support 3 way SLI do not go Higher than DDR 2 1066[I looked through Newegg], the better Ram choice is DDR 3 but you will sacrifice 1 video card.
                              These are just options, in the end YOU need to do the research and be satisfied with the Hardware or you will Blame others for your wasted money, when playing games on a Projector[as my Brother Found out], if the Hardware is not Strong enough then it will be blurry and overheat[which you will need to make sure you have ample cooling as well], You have a lot of thinking and Planning to do, compare Hardware, do your homework and you will have a Great system, I hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                              X