Just to be clear about dx9 VS DX10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to be clear about dx9 VS DX10

I'm using vista 64 and an 8800gts. I know by default UT3 selects dx10, but are there any actual dx10 effects in the game or am I better off to force dx9? Would there be a performance increase by doing so?

Not that I know of. We have been hoping that 1.3 gives us dx10 but from the changelog that was posted, it looks negative. And the preformance wont increase if you select dx9, just keep it where it is.

Comment

Really? I have an 8800GTX and on my machine, there was a noticable performance boost when I switched from dx10 to dx9 (less shuttering and higher FPS).

Comment

Originally posted by Visciom View Post
        Really? I have an 8800GTX and on my machine, there was a noticable performance boost when I switched from dx10 to dx9 (less shuttering and higher FPS).
        I'm not sure I would notice a performance boost if there was one. With dx10 on vista 64 I'm almost always near 60 fps (vsync on, etc). It only drops lower if I turn on AA, but of course, AA wont work in dx9 so maybe it's all pointless. Still, I'd like to know what others report.

Comment

i noticed no performance drop/increase by switching fron dx10 to dx9 under vista, but switching from vista dx10 to xp dx9 i got fps from 18fps to 44fps its very hard to believe but this is the truth...

Comment

Originally posted by The Ancient Keeper View Post
            i noticed no performance drop/increase by switching fron dx10 to dx9 under vista, but switching from vista dx10 to xp dx9 i got fps from 18fps to 44fps its very hard to believe but this is the truth...
            Not hard to believe at all. I've seen the same thing with quite a few games. The exception seems to be that Vista 64 has better gaming performance than Vista x32, for whatever reason, although technically it shouldn't.

The other thing I've noticed is that it's really, really hard to even tell what AA is doing anyway if you have post processing going full blast with bloom, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X