The Invulnerability powerup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Invulnerability powerup

As a mapper I'm curious to know where the majority stand on this powerup, so here's a quick poll for you.

Do you think Invulnerability makes the gameplay more interesting/dnamic like the other powerups? Or does it just spoil good maps and have no place in a UT game?

It's fine on a free-for-all DM map, but should not be on a map for competitive play (1on1 players hate all kinds of powerups) or any objective-based map.

Comment

It's a gimmmick... It can work in a map if the map is centered around that power up (Dm-Fearless is a good example, so is this other map that placed well in the 3DBuzz contest, but it's name escapes me at the moment). But by the very act of putting the powerup in those maps it's essentially killed their serious competitive potential, but at the very least they're still balanced for casual play.

Most maps that have the powerup generally just throw it in with little thought and in those situations it's usually easily abused. DM-CG-Harbor has it off to the side in the map and anybody that has even a little knowledge of the map can go pick it up and then ***** it at the centre of the map, it even makes taking out the Darkwalkers rather easy (though the inclusion of 2 darkwalkers in a DM level is questionable in itself). vCTF-WGS-Altitude has 2 invulnerability pickups (1 near each base) and if you time it right and use vehicles you can do a flag run and never run out of invulnerability through out it, even if you don't grab both of the pick ups the map is small enough that if you use the scorpions boost you can make it to the enemy flag and be almost half way back before your 30 seconds run out. vCTF-CraterMiningCamp has similar issues, you can grab an invulnerability and a redeemer then grab the enemey flag and shoot the deemer into the floor and you won't land until you're almost at your base and you'll still have invulnerability to spare.

Personally I think it's one of the worst inclusions into the game just because of how hard it is to balance, and most of the time levels are just better without it.

Comment

I guess a map needs to provide little space and force people into close-range combat to actually give others a chance against the invul powerup. The map should not have any dead ends (or similarly easy to defend places) from where an invul user can reach any vital parts of the map with weapon fire.

Comment

I think it's ok since you can steal it from the person that has it or atleast knock it of 'm. or try to.:P left trigger jackhammer (default settings)

Comment

I'm fine with it, and I enjoy using the EMP to knock it off other players and steal it for myself.

Comment

i personally use it as bait - all the kids come running when it spawns!
              if someone grabs it everyone just stays away from him until it wears off, or as said before hammer it away.
              nothing wrong with it
              invisibility is worse cause you cant see the fool to hammer it off of him!

Comment

I think invulnerability is a stupid powerup, even in TDM/FFA. That's what stacking health & armor is for.

Comment

it's absolutely not usable for 'just a powerup', the entire map should be based around the pickup
                  like tailsnake said, fearless is a good example. you can even win without it, and the hallways are narrow so you can easily steal the powerup with the hammer's EMP

Comment

I hate it. At least we can take it away from the owner with the Hammer secondary.
                    And this poll clearly shows how this community isn't build up by pro gamers.

Comment

It's fine. The pentagram worked fine in quake1 dm3, the most popular map, for it allowed a rush to take over the rocket launcher area. It only spawned every 5 minutes tho, and a rocket blast would send the guy with the power-up flying across the map, especially with quad, allowing the player to escape easily. Maybe if it was more thought out,... I personally would like to see it included in more maps. Ahhh, nostalgia.

Comment

I'm fine with it, as long as it's difficult to get to.

Comment

Fine, even because with secondary impact hammer you can take it off from the holder.

Comment

Originally posted by Kantham View Post
                            I hate it. At least we can take it away from the owner with the Hammer secondary.
                            And this poll clearly shows how this community isn't build up by pro gamers.
                            "Pro" gamers are exactly the ones that I would expect to vote in favor of it.

Comment

Keep it in DM, dont put it in war or ctf/vctf, or any map with vehicles.

Comment

Working...
                              X