No announcement yet.

What video card should i buy? Budget $250 C2D 2.66 2GB RAM 500GB HDD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, buy them all, try them out in real gameplay and then report back. No, seriously, DO IT!

Anything less than that and you will never really know how it works with YOUR hardware setup anyway

Comment

Just bought a 4870, and its not as hot as every review states. Havnt even changed the fan speed yet and im only getting high sixties :P (overclocked!) time to check out what load temps i might reach while playing UT3!

upped the fan from 8% to 30% and now i idle with 26C and load 56C. Great temps for stock cooler imo

Comment

in my opinion the 48x0 are the best-buy cards nowadays. i say go for it!

about temp: 100°C is okay for GPUs, as UnskilledPRO said, while temp is under 120°C, there's no problem.

@Chadwixx: what do you mean by that? if the GPU is 100°C hot, that does not mean that it will heat the whole system to that temperature :P

Comment

morph i'd love to see a card last over a week at 100c. even if just an hour of usage a day at 100c, i want to see it a week later.

yes it will heat up the whole system btw, its called ambient heat. the heatsink displaces a lot towards the rear with its exhaust fan IF it has an exhaust instead of just a fan, but the heat still increases the entire system heat by a large quantity, believe me i know i had stock coolers on sli 8800gtx cards for a long time and the heat raised my entire rig by around 25c, and when my chipset was running at 37c to start with and my cpu at 50 - thats pretty ****in hot. 70c on my cpu is too much for me. 57 on the chipset - wow.

for the love of god dont speak if you dont know.

ps:
          the 9800gtx bluescreens at 104c

Comment

UT3 Benchmarks on ATI 4870 vs NVidia GTX280 plus others

Here it is, UT3 benchmarks.ATI 4870, 4850, 3870, NVidia GTX 260 and 280, the 9800 and 8800 cards as well

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...0,1964-12.html

The 4870 has about the same performance as the GTX260 according the what they show.

Comment

Originally posted by Morph-
              while temp is under 120°C, there's no problem.
              Ok, since you don't intend to buy him a new card if something goes wrong, please provide links that prove it, like documentation from TSMC that show thermal specs. And please provide a decent number of examples of electronic devices rated for 120ºC. Meanwhile I can mention the XBox360 RRoD and the NVidia laptop chips scandal

If I were to upgrade I believe I'd go for the HD4850 considering the great price, but my PC runs with case open and I play with headphones, so it can still keep decent temperature on idle and I don't mind the noise on load. I have a budget *** 8800gs and even then, the CPU runs at 70ºC and so does the GPU even with the fans going berzerk.

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
                Ok, since you don't intend to buy him a new card if something goes wrong, please provide links that prove it, like documentation from TSMC that show thermal specs. And please provide a decent number of examples of electronic devices rated for 120ºC. Meanwhile I can mention the XBox360 RRoD and the NVidia laptop chips scandal

If I were to upgrade I believe I'd go for the HD4850 considering the great price, but my PC runs with case open and I play with headphones, so it can still keep decent temperature on idle and I don't mind the noise on load. I have a budget *** 8800gs and even then, the CPU runs at 70ºC and so does the GPU even with the fans going berzerk.
                open case is possibly the worst solution as the fans create an air cycle of cool air coming in and hot air going out.
                its just air going everywhere...
                you actually suck in hot air and blow out cold air a lot of the time.

Comment

All I can say about this thread is don't go with ATI. Especially if you use operating systems other than Windows (though it's not as if you can play UT3 on linux, anyhow.)

That having been said, I've seen cards start overheating and showing artifacts around 90 C. +1 for Benefica's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Zera View Post
                    morph i'd love to see a card last over a week at 100c. even if just an hour of usage a day at 100c, i want to see it a week later.

yes it will heat up the whole system btw, its called ambient heat. the heatsink displaces a lot towards the rear with its exhaust fan IF it has an exhaust instead of just a fan, but the heat still increases the entire system heat by a large quantity, believe me i know i had stock coolers on sli 8800gtx cards for a long time and the heat raised my entire rig by around 25c, and when my chipset was running at 37c to start with and my cpu at 50 - thats pretty ****in hot. 70c on my cpu is too much for me. 57 on the chipset - wow.

for the love of god dont speak if you dont know.

ps:
                    the 9800gtx bluescreens at 104c
                    I came from a 8800gts (g80) and i must say im rather impressed with the stock cooler on the 4800 series, it moves all the air out from the case unlike the nvidia cards which just recycles the hot air.. http://www.itreviews.co.uk/graphics/...ware/h1196.jpg (see the nice holes by the end of the card that reveals the heatsink). ATi's design doesnt have these holes are can only exhaust the hot air out from the case which doesnt increase the ambient temp in your case as much as a nvidia card does (this only applies to the old G80 and perhaps some G92 cards as i believe nvidia has newer improved coolers on newer cards)

Comment

yeah thats true that they run cooler but we were talking about 100c.
                      if it has a good cooler it wont hit 100c.
                      if it hits 100c its gonna heat up the ambience a LOT
                      i had to fully watercool my rig cause it got so hot.

Comment

holy ****. that is a lot of ca$h.

So I take it my X1950PRO 512MB Sapphire Radeon, with core clock at 580MHz and memory clock at 702Mhz (not OCed) is ancient and useless?

Comment

Zera, please read my whole post again. thank you
                          "...that (120°C) temperature." i hope you got it now mate ;>

furthermore, i said that i aggree with unskilledpro, who said that the card wont take damage while temp is below 120°C. maybe under "no problem" you meant flawless functionality, if so, then sorry for the misunderstandable post.

Comment

Originally posted by shombowhore View Post
                            All I can say about this thread is don't go with ATI. Especially if you use operating systems other than Windows (though it's not as if you can play UT3 on linux, anyhow.)

That having been said, I've seen cards start overheating and showing artifacts around 90 C. +1 for Benefica's post.
                            You have that 100% correct. If you use almost any flavor Linux, anything X1900 series or newer will only work in text mode until you install the ATI propriatary driver. Problem is, the install program is graphical. DUH! The fix is to use an old X700 or X800 to install and then swap out to the newer card. Then the ATI propriatary drivers have a history of being notoriously unstable. Learned that the hard way with UT2K4. Heck, at least the NVidia open source driver works at some level with all cards, so far as I know. It's not perfect and has had it's share of issues, but loads better than ATI. This all goes all the way back to my Pentium II days.

All the video cards I am aware of start clocking down at 90C. My XFX 7950GT cards in SLI run at 65C and 75C with UT3, 40C and 45C at idle. They are fanless type, but I have a 120mm fan mounted on the side panel blowing outside air directly on the heat sinks. My liquid cooled 7900GTX cards in SLI are 35C at idle and 45C and 47C in UT3. Liquid cooling definitely rules.

Comment

Originally posted by shombowhore View Post

Or you can go with ATI, get more for your money, and apply a simple fan fix to keep your temps low. Even if the 4850 is behind the 8800GT in UT3, it's still holds out at well above 60fps, it out-performs the 9800GTX in almost every other game, and the drivers are not even mature yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X