UT3 Patch 1.4 Request Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WarTourist View Post
    Switching teams will cause you to revert to the default character because the other team skins aren't loaded. We're looking into way to improve it, but this is expected behavior.
    But is there an explanation as to why the models will revert to DemoGuy on a switch to DM from any other game type? Even my own model will be DemoGuy which really shouldn't be!

Comment

Originally posted by WarTourist View Post
      Switching teams will cause you to revert to the default character because the other team skins aren't loaded. We're looking into way to improve it, but this is expected behavior.
      From a conversation I was involved in over at BU.

Quote:
      Mysterial: Most of the problem with the custom characters boils down to two things:
      1. There is a completely different material setup for red vs blue; therefore, we need to load different assets between the two teams
      2. We don't load characters during gameplay, because it would be hitchy on most systems and then people would be on the forums ....................................... poor performance.

[snip...]
      ME:I only play UT so am unsure of the meaning of material as you used it. Are you saying in point 1) that you have a 'skin' for Red character x and another completely different one for the Blue version ? If so why not just tag an instance of the model as red or blue and then let the client shade as required ? You shade character models anyway by brightening the red/blue tints so this would not really be an additional overhead and would save both RAM and load times.

2) Fair enough, though I don't see why that effects not seeing your own model on your client...
      Would probably eliminate the problem for most people under most circumstances, something for UT4 prehaps ?

p.s

Taking that a step further why not just tag a "model" as character x blue version and if a particular client has that model/skin installed then let the client control the appearence ?

Comment

WAR-Dusk power core base turret on the prime node side

The turret on the prime node side of the WAR-Dusk power core base has a couple problems.
        Once you get in it, you usually cannot exit it without disconnecting from the server.
        The fire shoots centered at a target at very short range making the left and right side bolts cross each other, making it totally ineffective.

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
          The turret on the prime node side of the WAR-Dusk power core base has a couple problems.
          Once you get in it, you usually cannot exit it without disconnecting from the server.
          The fire shoots centered at a target at very short range making the left and right side bolts cross each other, making it totally ineffective.

Don't know if it was fixed in 1.2/1.3 or not but Turrets (both vehicle mounted and standard) show very odd behaviour when shooting past scenery or up at ledges.

Example : try firing the rocket turret on Onyx Coast past any of the pillars that block its view or fire HB beam weapon up at people building the mine node from the near where the levi spawns in Serenity.

Talking of Hellbenders, its stats are still broken in that the skymines still register stationary shock turret kills.

Comment

Oh hey Epic guys, if you need some more scenarios for the demo guy, it seems that almost always when I'm spectating a match and then join from spectator mode, I'll also be the demo guy.

Hope this helps, thanks!

Comment

Please fix the games listen server and hosting abilities in general. It doesn't work at all because of something to do with full cone, gamespy, stun server, etc etc etc.

Aside that....increase the speed of the game like the original UT!

Comment

Hi guys. Please keep this thread solely for bringing up issues you'd like to see updated in a future UT3 PC patch. PM me if you have specific questions or comments.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe641 View Post
                  But is there an explanation as to why the models will revert to DemoGuy on a switch to DM from any other game type? Even my own model will be DemoGuy which really shouldn't be!
                  The DemoGuy problem is really frustrating because so many people have seen the problem and Epic can't reproduce it. If I play through 5 DM maps on my server with a friend without doing anything ususual (i.e. changing gametypes), I guarantee on at least one of the levels, his skin will be messed up and sometimes my own.

I tried BattleMode's UT3 Fixer (http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=613175) to fix a problem on my server where I couldn't pick up weapons anymore after NumPlay = 3 on the server (UT3 Fixer sets it to 0 every map). It not only fixed my problem but it actually affects the DemoGuy problem too. Now instead of just DemoGuy, my friend (who plays as Bishop) will sometimes show as Bishop with a mask or Reaper so at least he's in the correct family. So the answer lies in there somewhere. I have a hunch MapMixer might have a big effect on it too after reading how that works so that's my next thing to try.

WarTourist, if you get a chance, can you explain the design philosophy behind how the skins are loaded? It might help some lightbulbs to go off for some of the more tech savvy people in here to help you guys pinpoint this problem. Clearly you are doing something very different than previous UT's because I've never seen problems like this before even when players join mid-game. Also, I'm curious as to what compromise you guys had to make such that having a DemoGuy skin for mid-game joiners is acceptable when it wasn't before on previous UT's? Is it due to the high poly content of the new models? I'm not trying to be facetious - just genuinely curious. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by martinblank View Post
                    -When looking at realtime portals, such as the one in DM-Deck, a very strange thing happens. It feels like the FPS has been cut in half from what you normally get, but when you look at your framerate with the stat fps command, it is no lower than anywhere else in the map. I have no idea how this is caused, but it is very annoying when it suddenly feels like your FPS has been chopped in half when a portal comes into view. There have been a few reports that this only happens on ATI cards. I can't test the validity of that claim, as I only have an ATI card, but regardless, this issue really needs to be fixed.
                    Im using a 9800 GX2 and I also have this same problem, I thought it was just my PC playing up at first, but it only seem's to happen on Deck around the Portal.

Comment

- In Duel mode, allow to take armor pieces and belt when you have them already!

Comment

Originally posted by M^vL View Post
                        The DemoGuy problem is really frustrating because so many people have seen the problem and Epic can't reproduce it.
                        The problem is "the demoguy problem" is an imprecise label for about 4 or 5 different behaviors, most of which are intented. We've got all the repro steps we need at the moment though, so the ones that aren't intended we're looking at.

Thanks.

Comment

+1 for Team Randomization after Map Switch

And I´d like to see the score of an already started game in the server browser (to decide if it is worth joining). I often join a game just to see, the core (warfare you´d guess) is already down to maybe 20 and decreasing (and the game ends after that round).

Comment

Id like to not be kicked to the main menu, if a server is full, or i cancel the connection. Id like to go back to the server browser where i was so i can just as easily pick another.

Comment

Here's one that I didn't see in the 1.3 beta list:

Fix the "U" that appears next to seemingly random people's names after a match ends. I play VCTF mostly, and these just pop in next to people's names when the game is over...

Unless they mean something, in which case, please explain what they mean...?

Comment

Originally posted by TheVoid34 View Post
                                Here's one that I didn't see in the 1.3 beta list:

Fix the "U" that appears next to seemingly random people's names after a match ends. I play VCTF mostly, and these just pop in next to people's names when the game is over...

Unless they mean something, in which case, please explain what they mean...?
                                I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you weren't around during the time of constant "debate" on this matter... The U is a ready indicator. Plain and simple. Some people claim that it is a ready indicator that is somewhat defective. But a ready indicator it is, nonetheless.

You have to click the ready button before a match, and then click fire before the match begins to get the symbol near your name. It is there throughout the entire match, but people only notice it near the end because no one has reason to open the chat window mid-game.

For patch 1.4, I'd like the ability to access the server browser while still connected to a game.

Comment

Working...
                                X