Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should "the best weapon" on Warfare mode always be the Linkgun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should "the best weapon" on Warfare mode always be the Linkgun?

Currently on default Xbox 360, clicking the right thumbstick down gives "the best weapon". I have realised what this means is the clicking the stick will give you the highest priority weapon as set by your weapon priority list -

However -
    Shouldn't "the best weapon" on Warfare and VCTF modes always be the Linkgun?

THE ARGUEMENT FOR:

I believe the link gun should be the best weapon in these 2 game modes, regardless of your weapon priority listing because in warfare and VCTF (but usually in warfare) the link gun is so essential to the gameplay. The alt-fire builds and replenishes health nodes. For vechicles, the link gun alt-fire repairs damage.

I would therefore argue that from a player perspective of constantly needing to switch to the linkgun in these game modes, the link gun should be the highest priority weapon in warefare and VCTF.

Placing link gun as your highest priority weapon in your weapon list however is not the alternative, because damage wise there are better weapons for kills, and in such scenarios a player would naturally want to have the beefiest weapon pick-up in a gun fight, even in warfare mode - but if link gun was patched to "best weapon" in this case, a simple click of the right thumb stick and you draw your link gun to replenish node or vehicle health.

Who elese agrees?

then move it to the top of your priority list, simply put link gun isn't the best Warfare/vCTF weapon. The avril is one of you're best defenses against vehicles and the Stinger/shock rifle are both very useful in those modes since their secondary fires are good enough to push back most charging vehicles and their primary fires are instant hit which is especially useful for the range at which most of these battles are fought. Epic shouldn't be making one weapon, especially one that's horrible for most battles in vCTF/Warfare maps the default "best weapon" in that mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Tailsnake View Post
      then move it to the top of your priority list, simply put link gun isn't the best Warfare/vCTF weapon. The avril is one of you're best defenses against vehicles and the Stinger/shock rifle are both very useful in those modes since their secondary fires are good enough to push back most charging vehicles and their primary fires are instant hit which is especially useful for the range at which most of these battles are fought. Epic shouldn't be making one weapon, especially one that's horrible for most battles in vCTF/Warfare maps the default "best weapon" in that mode.
      I understand what you're saying about weapon damage, but I think you've missed the point I'm trying to make. The link gun is THE essential weapon of warfare. Without it, you can't build or repair nodes.

For console users a simple click of their "best weapon button" would be the best way to quick draw to this weapon in this game mode. We do not have the luxury of PC users who can assign any button to any key for a quick press, eg assigning the link gun within a finger press's reach:
      Originally posted by Freelancer 2K8 View Post
      Placing link gun as your highest priority weapon in your weapon list however is not the alternative, because damage wise there are better weapons for kills, and in such scenarios a player would naturally want to have the beefiest weapon pick-up in a gun fight, even in warfare mode - but if link gun was patched to "best weapon" in this case, a simple click of the right thumb stick and you draw your link gun to replenish node or vehicle health.

Comment

I get where you're coming from but the link gun a generally horrible weapon for Warfare/vCTF with the exception of healing vehicles/nodes. The range that most games in those modes are played at just make the link gun rather inefficient it doesn't take too long to switch to it when you need it (you really shouldn't be trying to heal a vehicle or node anywhere when you have a good chance of being killed easily, a lot of the time it's better to ditch the vehicle and fight on foot or defend the node from attackers while it builds itself or someone else attempts to heal it). The way it works now it give you the option to make any weapon your "best weapon" and if you ask any of the vets here for advice on those gamemodes you'll hear far more about the AVRiL and good pushback weapons than you will about using the link gun.

Comment

I have to agree with Tailsnakes. Switching weapons doesn't take that long anyway.

Comment

what? I think link gun's important enough to have its own special button in a convenient spot, best weapon spot's no faster than that. Weapon ranking has its own uses. Oh wait you're console...nevermind

Comment

I think someones account has been hacked ^^

Link gun is usually switched between rockets and a stinger on warfare and in vctf i use pretty much every gun with the link mainly just to repair a viper or fury.

Comment

I'd say no - best weapon needs to be the weapon that you would want in your hand when you come accross something unexpected. So that's probably rockets, or flak.

You have time to react and choose to build or heal. Best weapon needs to be the - gimme something quick button. There might be some logic to have best weapon as Avril, shock, then stinger then flak - as these are what you'll need when an unexpected manta flies your way.

Comment

No. Just flat out wrong. The link gun is not the most important gun in warfare/vCTF, in fact, one could play both modes without the link gun.

1) Nodes build themselves. In ONS, the nodes needed to be fully charged to render a link to the next node. In WAR, things were dumbed down to where you only have to hold the node for a length of time before it becomes "active", you don't need to link it fully to have it give you the resources and link to the next node. In fact, you dont' have to link it at all, just kill whomever is attacking it and it'll eventually become active.

2) Link gun cannot defend against ANY vehicles. It's best use against vehicles is as a volley on camped hellbenders and tanks, but that's only useful if you don't have avrils.

3) There are better weapons to use to tear down a node, although it does a fair job at damaging a node from a distance.

4) Most important gun to have on standby is the avril, followed by shock/sniper, and flack. This takes care of vehicles, boarders, and close encounters with vehicles/infantry. Link gun is bad at dispatching all of them and is almost a liability when you're caught linking a node and have to defend against 2-3 attackers.

Obviously you have not played the game very much. WAR and by extension, Unreal Tournament, favors the aggressive player. It favors offense. It is MUCH easier to capture nodes/dominate the map, than it is to defend those nodes/defend the map. The best defense, is not to heal vehicles/nodes, it's to kill whatever is attacking them and eventually suppress their ability to attack.

Comment

If you played a game of Warfare without a linkgun, I'd have a mind to swap teams to splat you on general principle!

1. Link builds nodes faster. A half built node is worse than useless, because your teams' attackers will not be able to judge how much time they have to take down the next node.
                    2. Link against a goliath is very effective - particulalry with beserker.
                    3. Rockets are best. Then I tend to use link as second choice , since with flak, you loose much of your field of view since you have to be close up to be effective.
                    4. Agreed with Avril as first choice, but again, link is surprisingly effective in the close cconfines around a node. In open space I wouldn't use link 1 on 1, around a node it actually works well offensively.
                    5. Healing your team's goliaths in particular is critical in allowing you to win. A blown up tank isn't any use to anybody. You need teamplay. So heal - with link or even better with a scavenger and if it's quiet, a nightshade.

Lastly, agreed, offfence is the best tactic, but somebody has to defend - if only to distract the other team and delay them, so allowing your attackers to take down their node a second before your node gets taken down. So you do need one defender, and for new players especially, repairing nodes is critical, because it is a simple way to get points, is valuable and your team will appreciate it, and then your teams best players don't have to waste time healing nodes.

Comment

Originally posted by rhiridflaidd View Post
                      If you played a game of Warfare without a linkgun, I'd have a mind to swap teams to splat you on general principle!
                      You would lose. Trust me.

1. Link builds nodes faster. A half built node is worse than useless, because your teams' attackers will not be able to judge how much time they have to take down the next node.
                      A half built node still provides resources and spawn points.

2. Link against a goliath is very effective - particulalry with beserker.
                      If the goliath is a noob and sitting still, sure. I've already talked about this.

3. Rockets are best. Then I tend to use link as second choice , since with flak, you loose much of your field of view since you have to be close up to be effective.
                      Now I know you haven't played this game much. Rockets have their uses, but up close or vs. vehicles, they are mediocre. Flak blocks your field of view? Change your weapon-handedness to center to hide the weapon, why are you playing with the weapons showing anyway?

4. Agreed with Avril as first choice, but again, link is surprisingly effective in the close cconfines around a node. In open space I wouldn't use link 1 on 1, around a node it actually works well offensively.
                      For DM, shock/flak is better, against infantry/vehicles/nodes. Shock combo/flak take the node down fastest and hence offer the most damage. Link is okay if you have to shoot from a distance.

5. Healing your team's goliaths in particular is critical in allowing you to win. A blown up tank isn't any use to anybody. You need teamplay. So heal - with link or even better with a scavenger and if it's quiet, a nightshade.
                      The only map where the goliath is essential is Tank Crossing and you'll find that in the wiki for "Gimmick Map".

Lastly, agreed, offfence is the best tactic, but somebody has to defend - if only to distract the other team and delay them, so allowing your attackers to take down their node a second before your node gets taken down. So you do need one defender, and for new players especially, repairing nodes is critical, because it is a simple way to get points, is valuable and your team will appreciate it, and then your teams best players don't have to waste time healing nodes.
                      You'll never lose a game of WAR because the other team had better linkers (unless you're talking about Tank Crossing). Why link when you have the orb?

Comment

Working...
                      X