Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what graphics card nets 60 frames on max settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got an 8800GTX, 2.8ghz C2D, 2GB ram, and run the game at 1920x1200. I average 40-100 fps depending on what I'm looking at. It's ALL playable though. I never get remotely near any framerate hitches.

If you're determined to stay above 60fps, go with a 9800, or something higher end in general (or SLI). Under 60FPS and over 30fps is still VERY playable though... I remember when UT1 came out and we'd play at 1024x768 with everything maxed and barely be pulling out 30-35fps on our NVIDIA TNT2 Ultras.

Comment

I play with an 8800 GS at 1280x1024 and get 60 fps at max details

Comment

Originally posted by j0j081 View Post
        weird considering my 9600gt easily pulls off 60+ on max.
        Mine too. e6420 with a 9600gt max settings 1280x1024..60fps+ on most maps. I had to enable vysnc because of the tearing.

Comment

I've 8800gt with e6600@2.4ghz with 2 gb 667mhz ram (yes rams suck) and i've never get less than 80 fps on 1280x1024 with maxed settings. Strange?

Comment

GPU is only part of the equation
            You can have the best vid card on the market and it won't do you any good if your mobo, CPU and RAM aren't up to the challenge

Comment

Originally posted by IceFrogg View Post
              8800GT's don't give off 60fps on max settings even @ 1280 x 1024, because the memory goes into page file.
              ROFL. An 8800GT can get far more than 60fps @ 1280x1024. No problem, and no 'memory goes into pagefile' (not a clue what you're talking about there...)

Originally posted by dickbird View Post
              Some 8800gts do have 1Gb memory, which helps. I got one of those.
              Another with no clue what hes talking about...

If you monitor your GPU Ram usage in UT3, you will find it uses far less than most games. At 1440x900 lowest settings it uses a mere 70mb, at higher settings it uses a few hundred at most - only 1920x1200 would utilize 1GB of GDDR.

However an 8800GT with 1GB is pointless because your memory bandwidth is too low to make use of it - a 256bit bus with GDDR3 is useless. This is why the new 2__ series use a higher-bit bus, to increase memory bandwidth. ATI's on the other hand, use a 256bit bus with GDDR5 to compensate (a cost friendly solution).

Comment

QQ

I run 1920x1200 textures on max world detail on minimum and I'm only using about 300mb of video memory. I'm quite comfortable with using 512mb cards for this generation of computer games.

Originally posted by i_hax View Post
                However an 8800GT with 1GB is pointless because your memory bandwidth is too low to make use of it
                Quoted for the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by eternal View Post
                  AFAIR The ATI setup is only faster in crossfire (2 cards) and only in UT3

9800 GX2 runs great at 1920x1200, max detail, highest driver quality setting, no AA. Q9450@3.4ghz
                  4850 stomps the GTX280 in crossfire, and in single card mode stomps the 9800GTX+ in most situations, others it is neck and neck.

Oh, and whoever has a 9800GX2 and a 2.5GHz quad, you are severely CPU limited. You need to overclock that CPU!

Comment

ATI HD 4870 clocked at 3200ghz of memory GDDR5
                    or if you want to wait
                    ATI HD 4870x2 (dual gpu) meaning twice the power

Comment

lol my GeForce 8800 1GB Overclocked by nVidia runs at around 70 to 80 FPS no matter what on all max settings..... (*cough* I also have 8gbs of ram *cough*)
                      So...Yea >:3

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr1984 View Post
                        What graphics cards net perfect 60 fps on max settings?
                        Originally posted by chrisr84 View Post
                        current specs: 3.2 ghz quad q6600
                        bfg 8800 gt oc 2
                        500 gig 16 meg cache hdd
                        4 gigs 800 mhz ram
                        i run at 1440x900
                        Originally posted by chrisr84
                        Thats cool, but how much money do you spend on your girlfriend?
                        You 'asked for performance help' {assuming 1984 and 84 are the same person}... gloated about your PC... then when someone had a better one you attacked him. Yes your PC is good... gloating a little is okay (that's why we have sigs) -- just don't attack people as a result of it.

Comment

I'm getting 90 FPS+ @ 1360 x 768 with 8800 GTS 512MB OC, but its not just about the video card.

Comment

The 8800GT will be just fine at even higher resolutions, but I prefer the Radeon 4850, as it is a stronger card overall at about the same price.

Comment

My fps is constantly over 100 with a resolution of 1650x1050 even in the most heaviest of battles

Comment

Originally posted by Phopojijo View Post
                                You 'asked for performance help' {assuming 1984 and 84 are the same person}... gloated about your PC... then when someone had a better one you attacked him. Yes your PC is good... gloating a little is okay (that's why we have sigs) -- just don't attack people as a result of it.
                                He wasnt gloating. He was asking advice. Some other guy contributed nothing, just his pc specs.

Comment

Working...
                                X