Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
    I think the solution is to turn off announcements at the server level? I wonder if that is possible?
    You might be able to do it with a simple mutator extending UTPlayerController. I tried one out in singleplayer this morning.
    It gets rid of the Objective announcements, but leaves in the announcements about status events (enemy orb destroyed, that
    sort of thing).

I can't test this out on a server at the moment, but I did a couple similar mutators a while back and they worked fine on
    a test setup where I ran them on a server and connected via another computer. The mutator blocked taunts and those white
    arrow things on the client when the server ran the mutator. So this one might work too, maybe. But it's not like I actually
    know what I'm doing or anything.

Anyway, it's 2 files, 1st one named NoObs.uc, containing this:

Code:

class NoObs extends UTMutator;

function PreBeginPlay()
    {
    	Super.PreBeginPlay();
            WorldInfo.Game.PlayerControllerClass=class'NoObs.MyUTPC';
    }

defaultproperties
    {
       Name="NoObs"
       GroupNames(0)="NoObs"
    }

and the 2nd file is named MyUTPC.uc, containing this:

Code:
    class MyUTPC extends UTPlayerController;

reliable client function ClientSetAutoObjective(Actor NewAutoObjective)
    {
    	LastAutoObjective = NewAutoObjective;

return;

}

defaultproperties
    {
       Name="MyUTPC"
    }

It also doesn't use super on the extended utplayercontroller function, so it wouldn't be compatible with any other mutator that
    comes along wanting to modify that function.

... or maybe there's a switch to turn those announcements off in an ini somewhere ...

the compiled version can be got from here

http://www.mediafire.com/?mgz1xyrycjd

in case anyone wants to try it but doesn't want to fool with make

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Lol, sig removed. bbl

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Benfica View Post
    Sneh, do you like my new sig ?
    hehe nice!

The orb is fine, it's a great addition. The orb is not for new players at all. Quite the opposite. The ORB is best handled by experienced players acting in concert with each other according to a plan.
    well I agree. And if possible turning announcements off server side would help, but hopefully not ALL announcements just the node/orb ones.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sneh, do you like my new sig ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by sneh View Post
    The announcer is ok to teach the very basics (in campaign) but after that IMO should be turned off, so you can learn how to really play using common sense etc..

One last thing, is the ORB itself a mistake? My impression is it is designed for new players, but I've seen SO many noobs with the orb in completely wrong places - and everyone smashes them with insults.. I wonder if half of them will ever play again, let alone have the guts to give it a go after that. (probably why sometimes the orb just sits there forever)
    The orb is fine, it's a great addition. The orb is not for new players at all. Quite the opposite. The ORB is best handled by experienced players acting in concert with each other according to a plan.

The problem is the announcer is telling the noob to grab the orb, so they do, but once they have it's useless until they die. They do not have a clue because they did not learn how to play offline. So, they get bashed, etc. All they did was what the announcer told them to do.

I think the solution is to turn off announcements at the server level? I wonder if that is possible?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The announcer is ok to teach the very basics (in campaign) but after that IMO should be turned off, so you can learn how to really play using common sense etc..

Announcer totally has you running around in circles sometimes, you get there only to be told to turn back.
    And IMO being told to "defend the core" is almost completely counter-productive, if most of your team listens and goes to the core. The entire enemy team will be there, and just keep coming back and back until its dead - the focus should be on destroying the prime (core safe) and recapturing it - and NOT just with the orb. Too many new players dont think to capture a node unless they have the orb.

The only option is to try and tell people (or kindly suggest) what to do but I have found almost every time I just get flamed.
    For example, im desperately defending the prime node and ask "can someone get the orb?" only to be told "why dont you do it yourself". Meanwhile, the rest of the team follows that guy to waste their time at the mine node. (cos he's so "cool" and he "told me, yeah" so everyone ignores me after that like im the idiot... we lost).
    I dont suggest anything to anyone any more.

One last thing, is the ORB itself a mistake? My impression is it is designed for new players, but I've seen SO many noobs with the orb in completely wrong places - and everyone smashes them with insults.. I wonder if half of them will ever play again, let alone have the guts to give it a go after that. (probably why sometimes the orb just sits there forever)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Cr4zyB4st4rd View Post
    Don;t listen to the announcer, decide for yourself. Check the minimap and you'll be fine.
    Well, we know that, but beginners do not, so it adds to confusion. It also causes noob bashing. We do not want any noob bashing if we want the online community to increase. Besides, it's not just the noobs who listen, it's intermediate and experienced players as well at times. So, what do you do? We cannot just go chasing after them and make things worse. I would rather not start using my new Sennheiser headset and start barking orders. Who would listen? I would catch ****. I do not want to be that guy you know who thinks they are the LT. Also, the default zoomed mini map sucks, goto go with the non zoomed version. Most noobs likely keep the default and just ignore it. So how do we fix it for the beginners and intermediate players?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by bclagge View Post
    Mr Evil: The problem with the orb warnings is this: For whatever reason, Epic decided to have announcements be sequential, rather than prioritized. That way it has to say every single double kill! multi kill! no matter the delay. Those same announcements must go through the process before it will announce the more important things like orb incoming! It's silly and clearly not well thought out at all. I hate getting the orb warning just to look at the minimap to see that my node is already captured and my core is under attack.
    Exactly. some announcements are way more inportant than others - like incoming orb carrier.

IMHO - lots of fine tuning to the game that was done in the past has been skipped while devel concentrate on the console versions ...
    Let's see if they at least fine-tune these ...
    I stay sceptical...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oldkawman is an experienced player. He knows not to listen to the announcer. That's ultimately not what his thread is about. He's concerned, rightfully so, that newer players will listen to the announcer and might go do something stupid, like attack the core with the orb (I've gotten that order! I swear!). The problem isn't just on Serenity. The announcer is always dumb. It'd be cool if the server admin could turn it off for everyone. (Beat me to it Haley )

Mr Evil: The problem with the orb warnings is this: For whatever reason, Epic decided to have announcements be sequential, rather than prioritized. That way it has to say every single double kill! multi kill! no matter the delay. Those same announcements must go through the process before it will announce the more important things like orb incoming! It's silly and clearly not well thought out at all. I hate getting the orb warning just to look at the minimap to see that my node is already captured and my core is under attack.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Could we not disable the announcer on Network-based games ? as a server command ?
    That would provide a server for experienced users - IMHO way better than that voice telling you what to do bad ...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by rhiridflaidd View Post
    The announcer gives poor tactical advice. Ignore it.
    That's not strictly good advice. I have it set to SpecOps. That way, the game itself lets me know when the redeemer, shield belt, etc. has respawned and is available, and I don't have to worry about keeping track of the game clock.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The timing of the announcements is all wrong too. For instance, the "enemy orb carrier incoming" is often late, and in a match yesterday she helpfully announced that after the orb carrier had captured our node

#2 The how did I get the ORB at the beginning of a match mystery...
    The orb is often invisible on the stand, so you might walk past it thinking it's not there, but you pick it up. Conversely, it sometimes appears fully spawned immediately on being destroyed, so you try to pick it up but nothing happens.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The announcer gives poor tactical advice. Ignore it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Don;t listen to the announcer, decide for yourself. Check the minimap and you'll be fine.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    One day i was playing in Serenity and strange thing happened.Announcer gone out of control.It kept saying "Leviathan available" non-stop,even when Leviathan is destroyed or node is still under construction.That announcement "Leviathan available" ****** me off so i disconnected.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X