Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the Physics Card actually help

Hey everyone,

I am having problems with internet right now so I can't seem to do a search or read other pages besides the first page of threads.

I was wondering does the Physics card really help on performance?

I have a Quad 6600 core, 2.4 Ghz,
    4 Gigs of RAM
    8800 GTS 512 Video (just the one card)

Would the physics card help much or am I better off getting a 2nd vid crd and running SLI?

Game seems to run well now at nearly max details. Every now and then I get lag on some maps (just me and not anyone else on server) but I can not remember which maps they are.

I can go to a vehicle and hit enter, and a good second goes by before I get in (or out). I often die trying to get out of a vehicle even though I hit exit, but their is a delay before he gets out. Sometimes there is no delay and it works fine.

Anyone offer some advice?

Thanks

No don't bother with a Physics Card. If your having problems check your drivers instead. Try a few and see if your problems dissapear.

Comment

Check the ping of the server you log on to play.
      If it is above 150, expect some lag now and then.
      Also, if there are more players on the server than it can handle, you (and probably all others) will most probably lag.

Your rig is fine, if you do not experience anything similar in offline play (against bots)

Comment

The Ageia PPU cards deliver 10-15% increase in FPS on standard maps. This is because the CPU load decreases when the PPU does the PhysX thread. It's like having an extra cpu core.

The Ageia maps, Tornado and Lighthouse both have lot's of stuff in them. Without the Ageia PPU those maps are pretty much unplayable for me. With the PPU they are fine.

Since you are running at stock clock, you should see a significant difference even on the stock maps. But, you should wait until the NVidia PhysX drivers are out for G92 cards to see how it works on your current setup, before you start buying stuff.

Comment

if you have an awesome cpu and video card, you won't notice any big changes
          when you have only an awesome video card and an older cpu, a physx card will help, but not that much

oh and nvidia will add physx support for geforce 8 and 9 cards, and you have one, so don't buy it

Comment

for $45 from tiger direct you can't really go wrong with having a physx card. It's a cheap and easy way to grab a couple fps till you buy a new VC. It's really fun to mod with as well. They give you all sorts of new tools.

Comment

Actually, he can try nVida PhysX over CUDA on his G92 now if he wants to:

Nvidia Forceware 177.39 + NVIDIA physX 8.06.12

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=191765
              http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=264880
              http://www.hardforum.com/showthread....post1032642729

Right now its only officially supported cards are:

GeForce GTX 280
              GeForce GTX 260
              GeForce 9800 GTX+
              GeForce 9800 GTX

But there is a modified inf that enables the rest of the G92 family.

Comment

The only Physx accelerated Maps are Tornado and Heat Ray

Comment

CTF-LightHouse too

Comment

Originally posted by DrFish View Post
                    The only Physx accelerated Maps are Tornado and Heat Ray
                    They are not really PhysX accellerated, they have heavy PhysX items in them that require a PPU or PhysX GPU coprocessor to run at playable FPS. Things like breakable glass, walls to shoot a hole in, explodable stuff like oil drums, movable stuff, falling stuff ect. Ageia released a maping pack to add that stuff to maps you make.

Now that the G92 cards will be able to do PhysX we may see more PhysX items incorporated in new maps.

Comment

PhysX cards are all about the gimick... Don't waste your time on that BS....

Comment

I had no idea that Nvidia was going to release drivers to help/allow the G92 chips to process physics.... Thats great.

I don't think I will get those drivers just yet. I like waiting till the official release for my product. I have a newish card so drivers should come around soon...

Thanks everyone....

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic_Cannon View Post
                          I had no idea that Nvidia was going to release drivers to help/allow the G92 chips to process physics.... Thats great.

I don't think I will get those drivers just yet. I like waiting till the official release for my product. I have a newish card so drivers should come around soon...

Thanks everyone....
                          thats why reading is a good thing

the physx drivers are official drivers, but you need a cuda enabled driver for your gfx card too. there arent any whql drivers for your card with cuda support yet.
                          but the good news is that its coming VERY soon!

Comment

Working...
                          X