X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/7...ew_050208.html

There you go...HD so it takes a bit longer to DL

teamcompete will definitely have a single and team ladder supporting this game if any of you guys are interested. I know gB is also supporting, I hope mlg makes this get into the pro circuit, we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by K7L33THA View Post
      In several recent interviews Mark Rein said that if nothing else Epic will port the best user mods to the 360 themselves.

Now I doubt we get the actual map a user makes. But maybe Epic would get an idea and create something similar themselves.
      You're probably right. Think about it.. if the USER mods are included with the game itself, they are making money out of the work of others (for free).
      If the mods have to be paid for separately, micro$oft or whoever is making money out of something made completely by someone else (which is even worse)
      That would simply not be right.

Based on that logic, mods should either ALWAYS be free, or NEVER be free and modders get a cut (for any platform) so I'd have to say they should be free (therefore not available on xbox).. Unless Epic makes them, then I would hope PC/PS3 gets those too anyway.

Now, having said that, why are PC modders supporting another platform (which helps reduce the number of players online on their own chosen platform ) ??

Comment

I wonder why they aren't allowing mods. I'm not getting the 260 version but I am so curious.

Comment

You're probably right. Think about it.. if the USER mods are included with the game itself, they are making money out of the work of others (for free).
          If the mods have to be paid for separately, micro$oft or whoever is making money out of something made completely by someone else (which is even worse)
          Maps and mods should come with a copyright, which include :
          "You are NOT allowed to commercially exploit this level, i.e. put it on a CD
          or any other electronic medium that is sold for money without my explicit
          permission!"

It would be quite fun to get a mail from microsoft asking permission to use my maps on the xbox, i'd be like "right, so the richest company in the world wants to use/sell my maps, they can't seriously expect me to give it to them free of charge, can they?"

Now, having said that, why are PC modders supporting another platform (which helps reduce the number of players online on their own chosen platform ) ??
          Because we are generous people, and we like to improve the quality and variety in people's lives and gaming experiences. There's no buzz quite like someone saying "I really enjoy your work, thanks".

Comment

this where the assumption comes from. this is a more recent interview with mark rein where says that the most popular mods will find some way onto the 360, basically meaning: we are going to have to program the mods we see ourselves so it will pass certification.

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/7...ew_050208.html

Comment

Originally posted by sneh View Post

ok if you are complaining about using something for free...did those users pay for the publishing rights for use of the engine???? how much extra did the user pay for the unreal editor???? come on man ... look before you say something like that unreal is one of the only games out there that give you the source code and tools to mod (included with the game purchase/pc). If you want to make money off those mods then you have to pay unreal, thats a fact. how much do you think that Gears of War or Stranglehold paid unreal to use those tools. Those editing tools just don't appear by magic. The cool thing is that by mod-ing for free the developers see new talent and bring those folks into the studio to work ... do your homework and check the history of Infinity Ward.....

Comment

Originally posted by sneh View Post

ok if you are complaining about using something for free...did those users pay for the publishing rights for use of the engine???? how much extra did the user pay for the unreal editor???? come on man ... look before you say something like that unreal is one of the only games out there that give you the source code and tools to mod (included with the game purchase/pc). If you want to make money off those mods then you have to pay unreal, thats a fact. how much do you think that Gears of War or Stranglehold paid unreal to use those tools. Those editing tools just don't appear by magic. The cool thing is that by mod-ing for free the developers see new talent and bring those folks into the studio to work ... do your homework and check the history of Infinity Ward..... BTW thank you for answering the question...

Comment

TCBill, we ALL paid extra to use the Editor and Engine to make mods/maps/characters. The Editor is included with the game as well as the rights to use it for these purposes.

Comment

Well whatever you guys say if you watch the vid I posted the guy does say that the mods were fit into the disc of the 360...

Soo... IDK lol

Comment

Originally posted by TC Bill View Post
                      ok if you are complaining about using something for free...did those users pay for the publishing rights for use of the engine???? how much extra did the user pay for the unreal editor???? come on man ... look before you say something like that unreal is one of the only games out there that give you the source code and tools to mod (included with the game purchase/pc). If you want to make money off those mods then you have to pay unreal, thats a fact. how much do you think that Gears of War or Stranglehold paid unreal to use those tools. Those editing tools just don't appear by magic. The cool thing is that by mod-ing for free the developers see new talent and bring those folks into the studio to work ... do your homework and check the history of Infinity Ward..... BTW thank you for answering the question...
                      Dude... NO. (I dont think you actually read my post)

Pretty much everything you said doesnt relate to what im trying to say. (so I'll try to put it differently)

If you buy some paint, and create a masterpeice - can the paint company make money off your work by selling it (since they provided the tools)? No.

If Epic likes your work, and want to sell it, they should employ you.
                      But in this case, I'm talking about Microsoft.. did they provide the tools - no. Did they create the content - no. What right would Microsoft have profiting out of the additional content? None.

As for what comes on the disc, Epic said they are releasing the Official bonus content (ie made by Epic Games) for the xbox version. They are not including USER created mods. And to clarify..
                      IM SAYING IT SHOULD BE FREE, FOR ANY PLATFORM, (therefore no user-created content on the official disc you buy)

Comment

Originally posted by Kiyoka View Post
                        I wonder why they aren't allowing mods. I'm not getting the 260 version but I am so curious.
                        I don't know either! Boy do I wish I could have mods on my XBOX 260!

Comment

Mods aren't supported because of some contract you accept with Microsoft when you sign up for Xbox Live or something. It says they don't support user made content. Epic fought tooth and nail against Microsoft to get the mods in, but Microsoft didn't budge.

So Epic figured the least they could do was give 360 players extra exclusive content.

Comment

MS doesn't support user made content true, but EPIC could have used the 360 time delay in order to craft a game feature in the Xbox version similar to Halo 3's Forge mode. But Epic chose not to, and instead concentrate on multiplayer splitscreen.

Comment

Originally posted by Freelancer 2K8 View Post
                              MS doesn't support user made content true, but EPIC could have used the 360 time delay in order to craft a game feature in the Xbox version similar to Halo 3's Forge mode. But Epic chose not to, and instead concentrate on multiplayer splitscreen.
                              Epic said themselves that they had used up too much time trying to talk with Microsoft about the issue. If they were to do what you said then the game wouldn't be coming out until almost the end of 2008. They would lose way to many customers by then.

Also making split-screen enabled and being able to keep the game at a good frame rate at the same time takes a lot of work. It's not like making split-screen is able to be done in a week. It takes tons of testing and balancing.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadaim View Post
                                love how everyone says kid online, what are you 40? if not dont call me a kid im probably old enough to be your dad.

anyhow there is no way that any user made content is going to be included on the 360. they already made the game smaller for ps3 and 360 to get it to fit all on the 360 disc. but anyhow its just extremely naive to believe that user made content was gonna show up on the disc. someone please show me the list of whats gonna be included, thats right there is no list because nothing is going be included.

theres about 100 things i could say about why this isnt happening, but its not worth the effort because honestly this is not even close to happening. the 360 version will come with the basic game modes, mutators, and maps. plus the 3 maps that were downloadable off the PSN store.

first 360 owners claim they dont care about user made content, now you think your gonna get it all on the disc? lol how do they even choose what goes on the disc this is hilarious.
                                HAHAHAHAHA shrank the game for ps3, HAHAHAHA, and for the 360, HAHAHAHA, I can't help myself, HAHAHAHA, whew, I'm ok. ya the PS3 blueray holds 40+ GB so ya no shrink their, and if they did on the 360 they were sure able to include more maps, characters, and functions in the 360 version so I don't think so. as far as including user mods for the 360 all they've said is we won't be left out in the dark, many rumors say we will recieve the most popular mods, yes epic can do that. They can even charge for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X