Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fell victim to this just last night for a few minutes. Well I sort of shrug it off as a known hazard, but I can see why it gets complained about.

In the course of scrambling around madly trying to live more than 2 seconds I did finally notice a jump pad near the spawn points, under some cover. I've always overlooked that one before.

If changing the level to preclude this tactic were an option I suppose I wouldn't protest an awful lot.

Comment

And a ******

Originally posted by IceFrogg View Post
      Woolvie is a mean person.

Yep. A mean person.
      If I ever see that guy, I immediately quit out of the server, because he is not nice. I only play with nice people that use their vehicles to drive on the right side of the road, yield the right of way, and allow pedestrians to pass by unobstructed.

Comment

Originally posted by Teckniec View Post
        Having a spawn point on the roof top would fix that
        Taking the tank out of the game will fix that, moving the spawn point, creating a mod so you won't die for more than 2 seconds will also do that, I know..lol That's not my point of this thread. I just wanted to have a discussion about these unwritten rules so we can all just get a long. But as this thread keeps going deeper into the depths of insanity I am now regretting starting this. My bad.

Comment

I agree, this thread is going far afield. Let's re-center it.

As I understand it, JPINATOR is saying there is an unwritten rule that the tank in Downtown should not be driven towards the core of opposing team when said team can only spawn at core.

I could not agree more. The tank should be taken to the winning team's core and parked between the Paladin and other vehicles. It should be left there so the team that is losing can recover it and drive it to their Prime Node and use it for retaking said Prime Node.

A gentleman's agreement to the future use of this tactic?

Comment

JP read this article, it changed how I think about what is fair and what isn't in a game:

http://www.sirlin.net/archive/playing-to-win-part-1/

The way I look at it, if it's helping the attacking team it's a good team weather it's spawn killing or not, the only thing I'm against is abusing glitches. If that wasn't supposed to happen then the level designers should've taken preventative measures to ensure that it didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by sofakingwetoddid View Post
              That is, if you can make it to the jump pads.
              You will get killed a few times, but all it takes is 1 player to get there, then to the roof, then kill the tank. A link gun makes short work of it. Rockets work also, just slower.

Comment

holy cow that article is insane, I shall spend the rest of my afternoon curled up on my couch reading it.

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
                  You will get killed a few times, but all it takes is 1 player to get there, then to the roof, then kill the tank. A link gun makes short work of it. Rockets work also, just slower.
                  I appreciate the advice but, I tried that last night. It seemed like he knew whether I was going to spawn on the side or in the center and was waiting for me. I just kept going down like a drunken prom date.

Comment

Originally posted by Tailsnake View Post
                    JP read this article, it changed how I think about what is fair and what isn't in a game:

http://www.sirlin.net/archive/playing-to-win-part-1/

The way I look at it, if it's helping the attacking team it's a good team weather it's spawn killing or not, the only thing I'm against is abusing glitches. If that wasn't supposed to happen then the level designers should've taken preventative measures to ensure that it didn't.
                    That article was awesome. Thank you for posting it. Much of it made perfect sense. It did not however change my outlook on spawn killing. While I am new to the game, I can imagine that spawn killing is not. How has it been handled in the past? What happens on pc when you spawn kill? Does the game itself withhold or deduct points for spawn killing?

Comment

Originally posted by GOW_Duragesic View Post
                      Considering how different UT3 is now with GOWEnergize - a node on top of a building or at one of those 2nd level spots at center might be quite nice with the GOWJump mod included. Finally a DECENT jump mod for the PS3 is out. Hopefully Pacer will consider releasing it in the near future for all you DM/Instagib/CTF cats & anyone else interested. Cheers!
                      GOW Energize increases each player's spawn invulnerability time from 2 seconds to 5 seconds... that should be enough time to get up on the roof. The tank will blow you into the air but I think you can still get away.

You can not rely on people's honor to prevent spawn killing and shaped charge cheaters. You're always going to get one or two who think they're a special case... "I came in late and we were losing".... "Teams were uneven"... "I just want to have a little fun".

Comment

Originally posted by pacerx View Post
                        GOW Energize increases each player's spawn invulnerability time from 2 seconds to 5 seconds... that should be enough time to get up on the roof. The tank will blow you into the air but I think you can still get away.

You can not rely on people's honor to prevent spawn killing and shaped charge cheaters. You're always going to get one or two who think they're a special case... "I came in late and we were losing".... "Teams were uneven"... "I just want to have a little fun".
                        Any chance you could cook up a NOOB Energize just for me? Have it increase my invulnerability to say, eighteen minutes?

Comment

You people realize that you are invulnerable as you spawn right? You're invulnerable for a few moments, but IT ENDS IF YOU SHOOT. Pick up your weapons and get out of the way. Tank is dead in a few secs anyway. Spawn killing is perfectly fine.

So how do you not get spawn killed?

Don't spawn.

Comment

PROBLEM: warfare

SOLUTION... everyone switch to CTF?

Comment

I was in that game. When asked my opinion of the person with the tank at the enemies core, I said, I'm jealous of them. My background is that I started out with DM/TDM and played just that for a long time, and there is WAY more SK there than anywhere. You just have to deal with it. It makes it much more satisfying when you finally DO get that person. Or ambush them going for the tank. Or get an EMP mine in just the right spot. Or...... well, you get me. Just my 2 cents.

Also, I was drinking, hope I didn't offend anyone, it was my first night with a mic. Also that was a pretty good article, The redcoats example was hilarious.

Comment

There are two possibilities for the enemy spawn camping you:

1) The spawn camping helps their team win. What do you expect them to do? Deliberately throw the game because you don't like the way they play? In cases where spawn camping is an effective tactic, it should be done.

2) It doesn't help their team win. In this case, there is nothing to complain about. In fact, you should be glad that the camper is wasting their time and vehicle doing something useless, giving you an advantage.

Also, every tactic has a counter. If you're constantly being spawn-killed and losing because of it, then you or your team are not good enough. The most common thing I see is victims spawning and taking the same route again and again, never thinking to try a different approach, which reminds me of:
                                Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                                Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Comment

Working...
                                X