No announcement yet.

Unwritten Rules Of VCTF AND WARFARE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are 2 prior threads I posted as Warfare guides for beginners.

Warfare Etiquette for Beginners (Warfare Guide for Beginners)

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=610930

and this 2nd one, of which much is applicable to all Warfare matches

A beginners guide to WAR-TankCrossing

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=613140

Lots of good info in those threads, many top players posted informative replies in both these threads. I learned alot myself from many of the replies.

Comment

Exploiting map glitches is never acceptable.

Camping in "home base" type team games, ie, flags in CTF/vCTF, cores and nodes in Warfare, is called playing defense. The orb in WAR is specifically designed by Epic for "camping" nodes. Stopping other, DM-style, camping by "rules" in team games is probably impossible other than to just go track down the camper, kill him, and camp his campsite so you can kill him when he comes back...annoying to have to do.

IMO, the most important rule for CTF and WAR is to forget your (meaningless) personal score and concentrate on supporting the important score: flag captures in CTF and core destruction in WAR. Of course, "supporting" these scores is a 2-way street; not only does the opponent's flag need to be grabbed but your flag needs to be at your base when your flag carrier gets there and the equivalent with the cores in WAR.

Comment

Can someone tell me if this is "ok" to do. Idk if it's a glitch or not.
        In Containment, you can go up to the raptor spawn point, and then jump off the back, so you are positioned at the farthest point behind the base. I don't think it's a glitch, so it should be allowed, but ppl always complain about it.

Also, is portal camping with IM be legal now because you can now see through them? I'm talking about FacingWorlds...

Comment

Just my 2 cents:

Glitching is never ok. Do it and you could suffer the consequences (kick then ban).

Going behind the core in Downtown is not a glitch imo. You are free to do that on any BGE or UMG servers. BTW, jump boots work a lot better then the IH.

Camping, always ok. Just kill the campers. No matter what they're camping, there's a way to deal with it.

Spawn killing, always ok*. Half the time it doesn't even help their team. The other half the time that it does, it has a strategic purpose. For example, spawn killing in Torlan is an effective strategy that can help win the map. It's annoying as all get out, but it's just something you have to deal with. Again, there are ways to deal with spawn killers.

*The only exception imo is going in the spawn building by the tank in Suspense and repeatedly squishing people with the Manta. That's just very, VERY bad map design and I would make an exception to my "spawn killing is ok" mantra for this one specific instance.

A couple unwritten rules I'd like to stamp on some people's foreheads:

1. In Tank Crossing, leave the 50 shield for the orb carrier(!).
          2. In Tank Crossing, DON'T GET OUT OF THE TANK! EVER!
          3. In Downtown, if you are fighting to take back your prime, leave the jump boots for the orb carrier(!).
          4. In Islander, keep the orb at the prime node for defense(!). At ALL times.
          5. Don't lose the Nightshade to the enemy. It's a critical vehicle.
          6. If you see someone loading up rockets go behind them, not in front.
          7a. If someone is waiting for the orb, or a vehicle, or whatever, go do something else productive rather than fight them for it.
          7b. Don't wait around forever for something to spawn. Go do something else productive.
          8. If you're not a sniper, don't take the sniper ammo just because it's there.
          9. If someone is towing behind you in a Manta or Viper, DON'T JUMP! You'll maim or kill the teammate towing behind you.

Honestly, I could keep going but they just keep getting more like general tips.

Comment

Originally posted by TWO_FASE View Post
            i was talking to a couple of people yesterday about whats acceptable and not acceptable about the two matches and decided to get some ideas about the topic. i've played in both matches and never really encoutered any "dirty" manuevers or anything like that but i'm sure others have in regular play or clan matches. and in order to make the game fun i'm sure there are some things players feel should be proper "etiquette".

1. No Camping (this one is wide open as far as what is considered camping whether its staying by the flag with a tank blowing up flag carrier, pancaking with a manta 5 steps away from flag or waiting by core the whole game until u get the go ahead to do some damage to it)

2. Hiding in glitched areas in VCTF w/flag (personally this ones questionable, i see it either way)

3. Using the shape charge or redeemer missle to take out either prime node or core. (i think its okay as long as u have the go ahead to take out the core after nodes have been linked)

4. Snipers in VCTF thinking its a "Deathmatch" (by all means protect the flag but after a killing spree at least change locations or try and get the flag)

These are a few off the top of my head. again just a matter of OPINION. just wanna get to see what people think of different tactics that are questionable.

ok... this is how i see..

#1 . camping.. if your playin a game u jus join to play.. and u camp.. depends on the reason.. its ur playin a clan scrim or match.. camping is no longer camping.. its protecting the flag.. its called strategic .. but other people can see that different then me.. everyone has a role on a team.. but jus playin in jus any random room.. pointless.. be apart of the people you are playin with like danjel said..

#2 . hiding with the flag.. use it to your advantage.. i see it all the time.. and by now most people know where the spots are.. so its not a real advantage anymore.. but u have to hind when u have the flag.. its part of the game.. jus hope the spot ur in the other person does not know about or u kill them before u get killed..

#3 . im not much of a warfare player.. but i dont see it as "cheating or dirty" i see it as using the game to your advantage.. but then again.. i could be wrong.. this is just me.. i personally dont really do it much.. inless my team is down hardcore.. but i dont mind if its done to me.. so i cant say its a cheap or dirty thing to do..

#4 . snipers.. almost a waste of time.. comes in handy if the other team gets your flag.. and u can shoot them down.. but just standing there killing people cuz your hiding somewhere on the map.. is not really helping your team out.. just helping your kills / death ratio.. thats jus me.. they dont bother me.. cuz they are easy targets.. but i just dont see a real big need for them in VCTF

like i said people.. dont get mad.. or wanna argue with me.. this is jus how i feel and i think its respectable.. dont get me wrong everyone has there own opinion and i respect that

Comment

One of the most annoying things is people either forget or don't realise you are grappled onto their vehicle.

Like this for example that has happened more than once: I grapple onto Raptor, driver flies low across the bridge and stops to shoot. STOPS?! I'm hanging here!

Then there's the idiots who jump in manta or viper while you're on.

Also when I'm snipering on suspence, I try to do something productive like stopping flag carrier or watching over ours.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiyoka View Post
                One of the most annoying things is people either forget or don't realise you are grappled onto their vehicle.

Like this for example that has happened more than once: I grapple onto Raptor, driver flies low across the bridge and stops to shoot. STOPS?! I'm hanging here!

Then there's the idiots who jump in manta or viper while you're on.
                Unless someone says something, I never know that anyone has grappled on to a Raptor. Any of the vehicles I use I can not see the back of. A smaller vehicle is easier to tell that someone is on because it handles different. You can feel that you are dragging dead weight and the steering never responds properly. They tend to forget thou that I have my own agenda an objectives that I am trying to achieve, and if the aren't willing to say anything, the destination is ultimately in the control of the driver.

As far as the manta and viper.....Not sure what you mean. Are you actually standing on top of these vehicles and why? Is it hard to imagine or expect that someone has a use for these items?

If I misunderstood that last part please forgive me, and clarify so that I do understand.

Comment

Originally posted by BroKen~DisK View Post
                  Unless someone says something, I never know that anyone has grappled on to a Raptor. Any of the vehicles I use I can not see the back of. A smaller vehicle is easier to tell that someone is on because it handles different. You can feel that you are dragging dead weight and the steering never responds properly. They tend to forget thou that I have my own agenda an objectives that I am trying to achieve, and if the aren't willing to say anything, the destination is ultimately in the control of the driver.

As far as the manta and viper.....Not sure what you mean. Are you actually standing on top of these vehicles and why? Is it hard to imagine or expect that someone has a use for these items?

If I misunderstood that last part please forgive me, and clarify so that I do understand.
                  Simple to tell whether someone is linked on, look under your aiming sight and there is a small triangle that comes on below. When this is there someone is linked on.

Comment

Originally posted by BroKen~DisK View Post
                    Unless someone says something, I never know that anyone has grappled on to a Raptor. Any of the vehicles I use I can not see the back of...

As far as the manta and viper.....Not sure what you mean...
                    When somebody grapples onto your vehicle your CROSSHAIR changes (picture would be helpful anyone? I am at work, no game here ;-) Basically, below your regular crosshair appears a Y shaped lines. It's pretty big so you shouldn't have a problem seeing it. Therefore you don't have to see behind you

As for standing on/at a vehicle, he probably means that he is waiting when the vehicle respawns so he can get in it and somebody else snatches it front of him. I hate that too. And the worst part is, it's probably some new player who cannot even use it properly

Comment

Unwritten rules
                      1. Never steal a teammate's vehichle. The only time it's ok if an enemy is about to hijack it. Then you can get in, kill him, then give the vehichle back to the original owner.

2. Never leave a tank or a nightshade - go down with your ship.

3. If you use custom crosshairs, remember to always check if somebody has grappled onto your vehichle.

4. Wait 2 secs when in a raptor or manta at the start of a round to allow anybody who wants to to grapple on.

5. Do not grapple onto the raptor in torlan at the start unless you know the orb carrier is an idiot that has gone to play hunt the fairies in the middle node.

6. Do not enter the enemy base unless
                      -The core is vulenrable
                      -The game is stalemated, and you can't keep the prime node up.
                      Don't rack up kills in area that isn't an active part of the current battleground e.g. perching a goliath over a node that's locked, and has no chance of becoming unlocked in the next few minutes, or whizzing round and round in circles in a manta, looking for random people to run over.

7. Don't swear

8. Don't orb run unless you consider yourself better than half of your teammates - unless your teammates just aren't touching the orb.

9. After your tank\shade\darkwalker gets blown up, don't stand next to it's spawnpoint waiting for it to reappear. And if you do, on general principle, your teammates has a moral duty to get into that vehichle before you. It is NOT your vehichle if it hasn't spawned.

10 Enjoy the game, and remember that everybody else playing are real people, and generally, pretty friendly and nice people!

Comment

Thanks danjel8 and barondro. I'll have to pay more attention to that from now on. Been playing for six months now. Learn something new everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by barondro View Post
                          When somebody grapples onto your vehicle your CROSSHAIR changes (picture would be helpful anyone? I am at work, no game here ;-) Basically, below your regular crosshair appears a Y shaped lines. It's pretty big so you shouldn't have a problem seeing it. Therefore you don't have to see behind you

As for standing on/at a vehicle, he probably means that he is waiting when the vehicle respawns so he can get in it and somebody else snatches it front of him. I hate that too. And the worst part is, it's probably some new player who cannot even use it properly
                          I'm a she!

And no you're wrong. I ment when I'm grappled onto the manta or viper they don't know I'm there and jump like crazy.

Comment

you guys actually think that people are going to go by these rules?

Comment

Back in the days of Unreal, for the most part people actually did play by the "unwritten rules." Not universally, of course ... there were always the n00bs and llamas ... but the n00bs learned and the llamas were banned back to Quack. However, the "rules" were not due to one forum or another saying what they were. It was due to the fact that we had a Community and the rules were passed on by word of mouth and peer pressure.

I am seeing this thread as having a combination of suggestions for "rules" and suggestions for tactics/strategy. Rules for the latter will never work community-wide.
                              In Tank Crossing...
                              In Islander...
                              Don't orb run unless...
                              These are tactic/strategies.

Good advice but not "social rules" in the same sense that these are:
                              Don't exploit map glitches
                              Don't flame n00bs, help them.
                              When new to the on-line game, ask for help. Just because you beat the SP on Godlike doesn't mean you are good.
                              Don't Spawn Kill
                              Don't Team Kill
                              [I hate the way this forum software tends to break up quotes like that. ]

Comment

Unwritten rule: Learn2play :<

Comment

Working...
                                X