Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So this is where epic got the buzz-saw crane from...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this is where epic got the buzz-saw crane from...

http://www.withfriendship.com/user/i...st-machine.jpg

pretty clever

oha nice found mate! ^^

Did epic pay for that? ^^

Comment

Thats a strip miner I think.

Comment

i copuld swear that something floating around one of these mod/map contests looks alot like that as well. regardless, it's a good reference point, and looks cool in real life or as a gameplay design...serioisly, who among us doesn't like heavy machinery?

Comment

yeah. someone posted that picture here a few months ago. IRL reference points are always a nice find.

Comment

it's a machine to saw mountains in half

Comment

Nice, I haven't seen such an imposing and impressive structure for a long time. Does anyone know where I could find out more about it?

Comment

WAR-Powersurge has something like that at the mine node. They had a show on Discovery channel, or one of those type of channels, about it. Strip mining machine. Mega Machines?

Comment

If you thought PowerSurge's was cool, check this out:

[screenshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/Kev_Boy/Bagger%20439/DM-Bagger_92_Percent_Complete_Persp.jpg[/screenshot]

See some resemblances with that Bagger 288 photograph?
                  Oh and... it's set on the surface of Venus, you know, just because I can

Comment

Originally posted by rek View Post
                    i copuld swear that something floating around one of these mod/map contests looks alot like that as well. regardless, it's a good reference point, and looks cool in real life or as a gameplay design...serioisly, who among us doesn't like heavy machinery?
                    Really???

Comment

This is all the buzz I'm getting???
                      Come on you guys... make some ****ing noise!!

Comment

ok, now that someone has done the math for me...yes ,freakin awesome, but will i be able to venture out in it's superstructure and kill people there as well?
                        or perhaps i could drive a vehicle into the path of one of the buckets...or loiter up near the top and shoot people in the region of their head...or ride on a conveyor on it...or get run over by a huge tread...or heaven forbid, have some kind of special interactivity with it...

Comment

I'd been meaning to make a bucketwheel excavator level since, oh, Unreal engine 2.0.

So the general premise of this level was 6 years in the making.

Comment

What do you mean by "superstructure"? The thing hanging off the side in the Bagger 288 pictures? I'm not doing that since it doesn't really offer good game-play and might bring the frame-rate to an unacceptable amount, remember that this concept has almost zero visibility blocking elements!

If you mean however just the excavator itself, then why yes... THIS IS THE MAP! Hah. That's right, it's the entire map for Deathmatch. You are not encouraged to go on the terrain neither (hence the lava) and its purely visual.

I won't have vehicles, yet you've given me a good idea, I remember a picture with a bulldozer stuck near the bucketwheel. The static meshes of a vehicle is placeable right?

You can also go on top, there's a sniper there, so for all you headhunters out there you're gonna looooove this!

There is also a conveyor a little like CarbonFire.

The machine is stationary (except bucketwheel and a few elevators) just because it would have been to difficult to have all this geometry and its collision update in real-time for an online map. I hope you can forgive me for that

I guess special interactivity ain't all lost, the buckwheel rotates around and in every bucket is a powerup, it's dangerous to get them though you gotta jump in and get dragged around like on a ferris wheel and manage to land on the strutwork and not 500 feet down! Oh I'm so malicious

Comment

Originally posted by -=¤willhaven¤=- View Post
                              I'd been meaning to make a bucketwheel excavator level since, oh, Unreal engine 2.0.

So the general premise of this level was 6 years in the making.
                              That's awesome. Why hasn't it ever been fully realised as a map of itself? Framerate restraints, game-play issues, integration into a theme?

I've also had this idea since a few years back to be honest, as a HL2DM map, but it never really quite "worked". It's hard to put my finger on it, but in UT3 DM I am happy to conclude that it does work

As a funny sidenote: I started this concept back up for UT3 before I saw WAR-PowerSurge. That's almost psychotically scary

Comment

Working...
                              X