Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nobuddy View Post
    until then it's unusable
    Correct, a feature that doesn't exist is unusable .

Comment

Originally posted by WarTourist View Post
      To be clear you mean UT4, while he means patch 1.4?

Comment

Originally posted by Killalot0 View Post
        To be clear you mean UT4, while he means patch 1.4?
        I'm not being specific about what type of future release.

Comment

Correct, a feature that doesn't exist is unusable
          Wait a minute, when in the console I type "demorec somethingorother", I get a recording appear in the list in my Community>Demo playback area with "somethingorother" as the name, and 2 buttons, Delete Demo, and Play Demo. I've tried recording on Instant action and on servers, and both seem to work fine, apart from the weapons not showing properly on server recordings. How can this not be a feature if it so clearly is in the game itself? Maybe I'm just being stupid, and I have trouble realising what Clientside recording means, if so just ignore me or delete this post.

Comment

UT used to be considered the elite player's choice for competition over the better funded, promoted and organized FPS'. Demorec has been an integral part of every competitive fps game and every previous version of UT. Not just for frag videos but for security reasons. It gave us (some of) the proof required to stop players that used d3d hooks, speed hax, and server connection spamming ( fake lag ). Relying on server admins to instill anticheats in a functional format with latest definition updates proved laughable in the past....as often the admin was disabling key elements for his clan mates & buddies while advertising that they stop hax. Client side offers all a chance to take part as a true community member to keep the game alive and fair.

The demorec was the way to go above the heads of the complicit parties and get expert advice....to remove those that directly affect the playability of the game for the average AND truly gifted player. It gave some credibilty to the competitive scene and reassurance to the hobbyist player.

Please don't let us down ... no client demorec is equivalent to the Wild West with no law.

Comment

Originally posted by plugh View Post
              Wait a minute, when in the console I type "demorec somethingorother", I get a recording appear in the list in my Community>Demo playback area with "somethingorother" as the name, and 2 buttons, Delete Demo, and Play Demo.
              It is there...I recorded before, but key elements are still unfinished ( no guns or projectiles show up in the recording)

Comment

Originally posted by plugh View Post
                Wait a minute, when in the console I type "demorec somethingorother", I get a recording appear in the list in my Community>Demo playback area with "somethingorother" as the name, and 2 buttons, Delete Demo, and Play Demo.
                Hi Plugh. We support server side demos, which that UI screen you describe allows you to view.

Our mistake, in hindsight, was to not remove all vestiges of that functionality from the version of the engine the game shipped with (namely the console). By not decoupling the remnants from UE2, fans of those games who remembered the console commands got the mistaken impression the feature was implemented, which it wasn't.

Comment

Oh? How odd you haven't fixed the redeemer feign death exploit. Mmmm..

Comment

Hi Plugh. We support server side demos, which that UI screen you describe allows you to view.

Our mistake, in hindsight, was to not remove all vestiges of that functionality from the version of the engine the game shipped with (namely the console). By not decoupling the remnants from UE2, fans of those games who remembered the console commands got the mistaken impression the feature was implemented, which it wasn't.
                    If I may ask, what was the reasoning for removing this function from clientside?

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle+= View Post
                      If I may ask, what was the reasoning for removing this function from clientside?
                      Client side demos weren't removed from UT3, the feature was never implemented.

Comment

To clarify, "why was it removed" as in not implemented for the first time in ut history ?

Comment

Our mistake, in hindsight, was to not remove all vestiges of that functionality from the version of the engine the game shipped with (namely the console).
                          the programmers didn't remove a feature that was never implemented?
                          sounds strange..

if it was never implemented there was no need to remove it

Comment

In Patch 2 beta2 client side demos worked. Stopped working again in patch 2 beta 3.

Comment

I think the poster meant that lack of clientside demo rec made UT3 unusable for ladder matches, not that it made clientside demo rec unusable.

Comment

When is this patch due I MUST KNOW!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X