Clear All

Originally posted by HideInLight View Post
    I just replicated the Demo Guy bug in Instant Action

Set the flag capture limit to 1
    Start a CTF match in facing world
    Type in slomo 10.0

That way the round will end quickly

In the next round change teams
    You will become Demo Guy, just like Anuban said your arms will be right.
    Strangely this only happens after map changes. If you change team first round you will be correct model.
    It happens to me regardless of map changes. It happens the moment I enter the game about 33-40% of the time. I don't have to change teams at all. I will try changing teams though to see what effect it has on the problem for me.

Comment

Originally posted by WarTourist View Post

Wow, you play with friendly fire ON in UT3? Brutal!
      Actually, I was referring to deathmatch where the only "friend-ly" fire you might have would be "suck on this goo ball, friend!" . Doesn't anybody play DM anymore?

By the way, I REALLY appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to show up in here WT!

Comment

Any info on how you managed that would be useful! We've never been able to repro that locally.
        It's reproducible on every single server I've ever been on actually.

I've talked to Phil about this and he gave me an interesting answer from Steve a while ago about the problem and why it happens.

Here's the team switch DemoGuy:

Zorr0 wasn't Demo Guy.

[shot]http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/4082/zeroreaperomiby5.jpg[/shot]

But when he switched teams:

[shot]http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/5785/zerodemoguyomiaw2.jpg[/shot]

He was Demo Guy
        !!!!!

You can switch from CTF to DM and there's a 100% guarantee that all the players will be DemoGuy (including myself), this is easily reproducable on any server. If you'd like, I'll give you an IP to the Ci server and I'll show you all the examples of reproducing DemoGuy. From there, we can go to other servers.

Wow, you play with friendly fire ON in UT3? Brutal!
        I dunno if you were being serious or not, but all competitive TDM matches are FF on. That's the only way I know how to play TDM.

Comment

Originally posted by HideInLight View Post
          So here's a few golden rules relating to the Demo Guy:

1. You always suppose to see your own model. If you turn into a Demo Guy something is wrong.
          2. The last person that joins the game sees the correct models of everyone, only person that's not gonna see the Demo Guy.
          3. Anyone that joins after you will be seen as the Demo Guy
          4. If there is more Custom characters than what is alowed everyone will be defaulted to Demo Guy.(PS i would love an option to change this setting from the menu and not in a config file)
          5. Unticking Allow Custom Characters in Menu turns everyone except yourself into a demo guy.
          6. If the player has an unknown model they will be seen as the demo guy.

As for the Demo Guy showing up in instant action, i also get that time to time when my game is full of custom characters, mods and so on so haven't been able to pinpoint the cause of it. Anyone know how to replicate this problem?

Can see how sometimes problem will persist in next round, since if I'm not mistaken everything will be loaded again and if one computer isn't fast enough to load before the round starts that person will then be seen as the Demo Guy.

So there's 4 options basically

1. Load Forever
          2. Hitch in game everytime someone joins
          3. Anti Social, good performance. Wait for next round to tell players apart if your lucky.
          4. Place the ideal solution to problem here...

Guess this will go into wishlist for 1.4 then. If all else fails, will need a mutator to Preload all models or load them on fly...
          Given the choice between Demo Guy or hitch in-game, I would take hitch in-game!

Comment

BTW, is there any reason why you can't do an f9 screen shot anymore when the menus or the final scoreboard come up? This is something that seems to have been introduced int he beta patches.

BTW2 Beta patch rc3 reads as Beta patch rc1. No big deal, but it's just kind of strange. D:

Comment

anyone knows the changelist between patch 1.3 beta 3 and patch 1.3 beta 1/2 ?

Comment

Yeah demo guys are so much boring, especially playing with friends... i like to know who is who, it's part of gameplay actually and ruined if eberyone is demo-guy... I wonder if the restart or warmup option of utcomp manage that? will give it a try this week-end.

Comment

Originally posted by [ST2]Unborn View Post
                  Yeah demo guys are so much boring, especially playing with friends... i like to know who is who, it's part of gameplay actually and ruined if eberyone is demo-guy... I wonder if the restart or warmup option of utcomp manage that? will give it a try this week-end.
                  I'm also looking at Map Mixer. The way Sinx is doing that, I think it might help the demo guy problem considerably.

Comment

what about fixing demorec? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Roig View Post
                      what about fixing demorec? ....
                      Client side demo recording isn't a feature of UT3, only server side. We'll consider adding the feature for inclusion in future releases.

Comment

Yesterday I played on a private server (I mean, a non-dedicated server running, I think, on the player's machine). I think it was unpatched, because the owner had no idea of what I was talking about when I asked him if he patched, and the engine version was "0" in the server browser. However it could have been patch 1.3 beta, not sure (can't remember the game unpatched).
                        Here is the point: on this server, there was no sound bug at all. Females screamed just like females, and robots just like robots. Also, the game looked quite different, I think the characters scaling was different. I did not notice any demo-guy bug either. The game felt much more intense with appropriate sounds.
                        So, does it mean that the voice-bug was introduced by a patch?? Or was it patch 1.3 beta, which would mean that the bug is being corrected? Or something else I can't figure out

Comment

i've patched both my server and client to 1.3, and females still have male grunts (but the right death sounds)
                          i don't know what that server is like, but there are no really that big differences between 1.2 and 1.3

maybe the server had a mutator running that changed some things (character scaling, desaturation, DOF, etc)

however, i AM interested if a mutator like this exists
                          does anybody know a mutator that does this?

Comment

Thank you WarTourist for replying about the demo player. Our only problem besides the demo player on the PSI sniper server is the package error problem, That has been address in the new 1.3 patch. Thank you again

Comment

Client side demo recording isn't a feature of UT3, only server side. We'll consider adding the feature for inclusion in future releases.
                              I am not a competitive gamer anymore (or at present at least) but I recognize how important this feature is for making stuff like frag videos.. even aside from that it is useful.

I think that saying you're considering it represents a significant gesture to a lot of people. Despite the fact that Epic is continuously putting effort into releasing patches and other endeavors related to UT3, there is a certain perception I am sure you're aware of which I don't need to get into. Planning an update that includes a few LARGE features like clientside demorec and hopefully a solid handful of others, perhaps even things we know are possible but were not expecting (random examples being crossplatform or a more comprehensive lobby system) would convince all but (and maybe even some of) the most hardcore skeptics that Unreal Tournament is still the go-to PC FPS.

Let me sum it up this way. When the fans are underwhelmed, the next step I feel must be to somehow go above and beyond the call of duty, if you'll forgive the reference - even if it's just in one or two areas. If something like the UI (again, just as an example) was underdelivered on, then not only fix it but really put some thought into how to blow people away with a reimagined one.

Now insert disclaimer about how I'm just being an "armchair expert" here.

Comment

until then it's unusable for ladder matches
                                and that's what it keeps a game alive

Comment

Working...
                                X