UT3 1.3 beta changelist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rhykker View Post
    Uhm, you guys realize why this demo guy "bug" exists, right?

It's basically an issue of preloading models.

When you join a game, all the current player models are loaded into your system. So if someone else then joins, you haven't loaded their model configuration, so he'll default to demo guy. In the above example, if the match would end, upon loading the new map, the host will have loaded the clients configuration, and would correctly see him. (This is the very basic principle; things are actually more complex than this, so there is no need to point out seemingly aberrant behavior [like the fact that they are both Reaper]).

The only way to fix this would be to preload all the various models while joining a game - which would take an eternity for us lower-end system users - or to stream them in as they join, which would cause hitching and slowdowns mid-game for us lower-end system users.
    Sorry, it IS a bug and not a feature. I've been running a home grown UT server since the dawn of time and this has been one of the most annoying things to try to solve. I have friends that join my server that are on Teamspeak so I know exactly how they see me and I can report to them how they are seen. This problem carries over from map to map not just on join. Sometimes we get lucky and all get the correct chars on servertravel and sometimes not. A total game wrecker for me, sorry. See the second thread in my sig.

It just seems like the models aren't ready when the match starts. If there is a magic setting to delay the match until the models are ready, I'd sure like to know what it is.

Comment

To add to my previous post, I am so SICK of going "oh that was you!" to one of my friends after killing him because the skin is not correct and there is no option to show the player name over the character! You only know who the player was until after he's dead. Dreadful stuff.

Comment

This also happens in Instant Action ... I don't play this game online at all and yet every other time I load the game up if I don't re-accept my chosen model the demo guy is the model that shows up for. All the other bots I choose to play against show up fine and actually the FPV arms of my character show correctly but when he dies, feigns death or is in the vehicles/hoverboard it is the demo guy. This is the issue that is not being fixed in the latest patch. If it is that is news to me and would be great.

Uhm, you guys realize why this demo guy "bug" exists, right?

It's basically an issue of preloading models.

When you join a game, all the current player models are loaded into your system. So if someone else then joins, you haven't loaded their model configuration, so he'll default to demo guy. In the above example, if the match would end, upon loading the new map, the host will have loaded the clients configuration, and would correctly see him. (This is the very basic principle; things are actually more complex than this, so there is no need to point out seemingly aberrant behavior [like the fact that they are both Reaper]).

The only way to fix this would be to preload all the various models while joining a game - which would take an eternity for us lower-end system users - or to stream them in as they join, which would cause hitching and slowdowns mid-game for us lower-end system users.

Comment

Originally posted by WarTourist View Post
          Also, this is solely for the other clients, the player should always see their own character.
          I'm sorry to say that is not true, I've had numerous times where my own personal character did not load properly for a map or two and defaults to the demo character.

Comment

Why don't they add an option for that then?!? I remember that exact option being in UT2004!!

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKillGrill View Post
              I'm sorry to say that is not true, I've had numerous times where my own personal character did not load properly for a map or two and defaults to the demo character.
              Any info on how you managed that would be useful! We've never been able to repro that locally.

Originally posted by AnubanUT2 View Post
              if I don't re-accept my chosen model the demo guy is the model that shows up for
              What do you mean by "don't re-accept"?

Originally posted by M^vL View Post
              "oh that was you!" to one of my friends after killing him because the skin is not correct
              Wow, you play with friendly fire ON in UT3? Brutal!

Comment

What I mean is this ... let's say I install the game and I set up the model I want to use. From then on when I go into the game that unless I change it that is the model I should always see when I am playing Instant Action (I should see it when I get killed, on the hoverboard, in vehicles, etc.). But instead what is happening on a constant basis is that almost every other time (nearly 50% if the time) I start the game if I just begin an Instant Action match expecting my player model to be there its not ... instead its the demo model ... the Iron clad masked dude.

Now what is interesting is that the FPV arms are the correct arms for the model I have chosen but whenever I get killed or feign death, etc. the dude is demo guy. Then when I quit the match and go into player setting when I choose edit existing character it shows me the correct character (the one I initially set up and thought I was playing as) and when I choose accept and go back to a match everything is fine. So now these days I just immediately go into player settings edit existing model, don't make any changes and just click "accept". This is what I mean by re-accept the model ... and its the only way I can be sure I am using the right character everytime I start the game.

It is important to note that once the game is started as long as the character is showing up correctly initially then for the rest of the time the game is running I don't have any issues ... its just shutting the game down and then starting it back up that this problem will then surface. Its not like in UT2K4 where once I set up a character I have never had it suddenly be Jacob when I start the game up again.

Comment

Originally posted by WarTourist View Post
                  Wow, you play with friendly fire ON in UT3? Brutal!
                  Friendly Fire (FF) is only 50% in UT3. It should be 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by {DvT}JonahHex View Post

Friendly Fire (FF) is only 50% in UT3. It should be 100%.
                    There is a mutator that does just that. Look around ... its part of the TVG mutator pack I believe or Newtators 1.9.

Comment

So here's a few golden rules relating to the Demo Guy:

1. You always suppose to see your own model. If you turn into a Demo Guy something is wrong.
                      2. The last person that joins the game sees the correct models of everyone, only person that's not gonna see the Demo Guy.
                      3. Anyone that joins after you will be seen as the Demo Guy
                      4. If there is more Custom characters than what is alowed everyone will be defaulted to Demo Guy.(PS i would love an option to change this setting from the menu and not in a config file)
                      5. Unticking Allow Custom Characters in Menu turns everyone except yourself into a demo guy.
                      6. If the player has an unknown model they will be seen as the demo guy.

As for the Demo Guy showing up in instant action, i also get that time to time when my game is full of custom characters, mods and so on so haven't been able to pinpoint the cause of it. Anyone know how to replicate this problem?

Can see how sometimes problem will persist in next round, since if I'm not mistaken everything will be loaded again and if one computer isn't fast enough to load before the round starts that person will then be seen as the Demo Guy.

So there's 4 options basically

1. Load Forever
                      2. Hitch in game everytime someone joins
                      3. Anti Social, good performance. Wait for next round to tell players apart if your lucky.
                      4. Place the ideal solution to problem here...

Guess this will go into wishlist for 1.4 then. If all else fails, will need a mutator to Preload all models or load them on fly...

Comment

Concerning the listen server in the patch notes. Does this mean that if i host a custom map or mutator at a LAN people will download it at a few Mbps instead of 10kbps?

Comment

Please SlipScreen

Hi all, I from Gamer Bogota, Colombia and Please slipscreen orr co-op
                          and slipscreen in mod online

Thx!!!
                          UT III Forever!!!
                          Bye

Comment

nice point of view, what about what happens when we change the team? seen it appears in instant action too.

Comment

They have mentioned in the FAQ that they have no plans for splitscreen.

On the other hand, they said they were working on the UI, so you never know

Comment

I just replicated the Demo Guy bug in Instant Action

Set the flag capture limit to 1
                                Start a CTF match in facing world
                                Type in slomo 10.0

That way the round will end quickly

In the next round change teams
                                You will become Demo Guy, just like Anuban said your arms will be right.
                                Strangely this only happens after map changes. If you change team first round you will be correct model.

Comment

Working...
                                X