pc version of ut3 on a ps3, something to concider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pc version of ut3 on a ps3, something to concider

As some people may know, ps3 can run Linux. Many people may have read that ut3 will have some Linux client in the fAQ section. Being one of those people that knows both, I was wondering If anyone was considering trying to run the Linux version of ut3 on their ps3 when it comes out. I am no expert, but I would expect there would be some sort of problem doing this, otherwise things would be too easy. Probably some graphics and other driver problems. If this idea totally fails, or there is something I am not taking into consideration and I sound like a moron, I hope I at least inform someone that their ps3 can run Linux, and they have fun messing around with it. I only have a pc.

As far as I know, the graphics ability of the PS3 is disabled on purpose when running linux, so this idea won't fly.

Comment

Why on earth would anyone want to run the pc version of ut3 on a ps3 when the ps3 version has been specially optiomized to run better on the ps3!? doesnt make no sense.
      Of course it wont work, and its totally pointless too.

Comment

Originally posted by recoiledsnake View Post
        As far as I know, the graphics ability of the PS3 is disabled on purpose when running linux, so this idea won't fly.
        No RSX access, hopefully someone will hack it one day.

Comment

The big thing behind that would be to play pc users on your your ps3.

Comment

As Adz said, no way this would work. the ps3 version must be specifically trimmed down to fit the console limitations. even if they unlocked rsx, linux would take too many resources and even if linux was transparent the pc version requires 512 mb of ram and ps3 only has 256mb.

Comment

Even if it were possible, the hardware is ****, so performance is **** and you would have like 5 FPS maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
                Even if it were possible, the hardware is ****, so performance is **** and you would have like 5 FPS maybe.
                Its not **** its just diffrent.

Comment

In terms of hardware, you do get somewhat more than you pay for, since it's subsidised (then you give the difference back when you buy games). But it's still vastly inferior to a modern PC especially in terms of graphics and memory. Perhaps the Cell SPEs could be viewed as a differentiating feature but I yet have to see that leveraged in a noteworthy way in a game (ageia physx implementation is very disappointing).

Comment

Originally posted by Teckniec View Post
                    Its not **** its just diffrent.
                    Different ****... poop... stool... loaf... ****... feces... the pee ess three...

Comment

In addition to what's mentioned above, the PS3 is a different architecture. It's not x86. If a linux client ever happens it will be for x86. I rather doubt we'll ever see a PowerPC Linux client, or one capable of running on whatever architecture the PS3 is. It's no problem for Linux itself: being open source it can be compiled for whatever architecture. But with UT3, we'll be stuck with whatever Epic gives us, if anything.

So basically even if graphics access is ever granted on PS3, running an x86 binary on it will never be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by eternal View Post
                        As Adz said, no way this would work. the ps3 version must be specifically trimmed down to fit the console limitations. even if they unlocked rsx, linux would take too many resources and even if linux was transparent the pc version requires 512 mb of ram and ps3 only has 256mb.
                        um no it has 512

Comment

the ps3 itself only has 256 ram. The RSX has an additional 256 GDDR3, which means there's 512 total ram accessible by the ps3. Since the RSX is locked, linux only has access to 256.

Comment

Originally posted by [TT]BrundleFly View Post
                            Different ****... poop... stool... loaf... ****... feces... the pee ess three...

Sorry I don't have thousands of dollars to throw into a computer like you or rather I wouldn't want to.

Comment

the ps3 has 256 main ram and 256 video ram

By assuming combined ram ut3 requires 640 mb ram (512 main and 128 video)

The ps3 is gimped by its ram, its very slow to go between main ram and video ram so it cannot be ever assumed to be a 512 mb system.

Comment

Working...
                              X