Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the point of playing on dedicated pickup servers ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't paid much attention to the UT3 PUG matches since I prefer to play Warfare (over UT3 CTF) and when I do pug I have more fun playing UT99 CTF pug matches. However, I suspect that the handful of people who play the UT3 PUG matches are a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of activity this game needs. UT3's lack of online multiplayer player counts is barely affected by the PUGs.

Why play PUG matches? Because PUG matches are a totally different game than what you find on public servers. They are more meaningful and intense and you make friends while you're on voice comm and get to use real teamwork. A good PUG match is much more fun than playing on a public server and it's almost like playing in a clan match, though perhaps more fun. It's something you need to experience in order to appreciate.

Comment

Originally posted by BlaenkDenum View Post
      UT3 right now is border line ghost town, and we are furthering that by hiding behind IRC and pugs. If we want to save UT3, I suggest, and please think about what I'm saying and don't just dismiss it as BS, but I suggest we spend at least some time on pubs to get more people to play. Contrary to popular belief, there are many people with the game, it's just that few play because of the fact that few play. It's kind of a recursive problem.
      The few people who play PUGs have nothing to do with it. There are numerous reasons for UT3's low online player counts which have all been mentioned at this forum (in the past) and elsewhere. Suffice it to say that if the game were going to be a success it would already have high online player counts. Do you really believe that the Original UT99 had high online player counts because a couple clanners propped up the game's activity? They would have been swamped by all of the enthusiastic people who loved the original Unreal and the single player UT99 game who were then falling all over themselves to play the game online. You should ask yourself why UT3 (for the PC) hasn't had higher sales and why it hasn't enjoyed such a large stampede of people rushing to play the game online and whether having experienced clanners demolishing box noobs online would really encourage those box noobs to keep playing.

Comment

Pickups are simply an elitist version on public.

people play it because it feels more 'elite' & gives them an ego boost, so they can look down on public.

pretty simple, let the flame come

Comment

How can you finish last on a pub. Your team either wins or looses!

As for splitting the community -as is said, the numbers are too insignificant to be relevant for the overall success.

Comment

Originally posted by Kensei View Post
            Pickups are simply an elitist version on public.

people play it because it feels more 'elite' & gives them an ego boost, so they can look down on public.

pretty simple, let the flame come
            I guess you must not have tried out pickup games, then.

Comment

Kensei is a L*S*R. =D !! Stop playing dude, you always talk nonsence

Comment

Experienced players on pubs tend to get accused of cheating by some of the not so enlightened. Combine that with the fact that most pubs aren't set up very well and you get what you get.

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
                  It doesn't happen when you fill a pub at 100% with the exactly same players. And if there was a slight chance that it happened, I give you the "bigger cause": avoiding UT4 to be console only, currently it doesn't make business sense to develop UT for PC
                  Developing a UT4 for the PC DOES make business sense--if it's done correctly. That's the great big IF. The game would need to be near-perfect and for all intents and purposes it would need to be marketed as though it were a new game--as though the target audience were completely unfamiliar with it. Here are my suggestions for Epic with regards to what needs to be done to make a UT4 a success on the PC:

1. Go with what has already proven to be successful. The most successful game in the entire UT franchise--the one that had the highest online player counts and the most enduring and longest lasting online activity was the Original UT99. So, try to replicate the UT99 game play and feel as much as possible. (UT3 really wasn't too bad in this area and several vocal members of the ProUnreal.com community were enthusiastic about it after playing the Demo, but other factors are necessary in order to have a hit game and many UT99 fans' enthusiasm for UT3 was quenched by non-gameplay issues.) Give people what they always wanted in the first place--a bona fide UT99-2.

2. The game needs to feel like a PC game. The user interface needs to be fast and crisp and a UT4 user interface should be superior to the excellent UT99 and UT 2004 user interfaces and it should offer numerous adjustment options (as UT 2004's user interface did.) One of UT3's problems was that it felt as though the user interface were designed for consoles and then people had to wait to load the Main Menu. A UT4 user interface should perhaps feel like a combination of UT99's UWindows and UT 2004's tabs with numerous tweaking options and crispness.

3. The server browser needs to be functional and packed full of features from the get-go. It should never count bots as players (ala UT 2004) and it should show who is playing on a highlighted server (ala UT99). Also, it should be integrated into the game the way the UT 2004 server browser was integrated into it--you could pull it up at anytime without having to leave the server you were playing on (and without having to wait to load any Main Menus). Also, dump Gamespy and return to the UT99/UT 2004 system for accessing servers.

4. Design the game so that people with somewhat older hardware can still enjoy it, increasing the potential purchaser base. Focus on selling, marketing, and offering excellent game play over expensive (for consumers) graphics. Try to make sure that the box art communicates what the game is--an online multiplayer bloodsport aimed at an adult audience. (Let the teens get that impression and they'll be all over it.)

5. Don't release the game until it's truly finished and play tested and nearly bug free.

6. Include a number of game types. A UT4 should offer Deathmatch, CTF, Onslaught/Warfare, Invasion, Assault, UT99 style Domination, and Bombing Run. Note that some of those game types could make use of the same maps. (DM, DOM, and Invasion go together, CTF and Bombing Run tend to go together.).

7. Include more types of skins and better looking skins. Perhaps consider cloning and updating the UT99 skins.

8. Take the best of the UT99, UT 2004, and the UT3 taunts and use those instead of scrapping the good taunts from the previous games.

9. For the single player game, consider releasing a single player adventure game (like the original Unreal) with the idea being to use that to help sell the game to people who are new to the franchise in the hopes that they would become interested in the real online multiplayer UT game after having enjoyed the single player game.

10. Make sure that custom maps and mods can be downloaded quickly and seamlessly.

11. Produce an excellent and very functional map vote menu. What's currently available for UT 2004 is pretty good.

12. Come up with a program so that server admins can select what maps should be played based on the number of people on the server. For example, when a map ends, if few people are on the server then large maps in the rotation should be skipped over so that a small map is played and vice-versa. Server admins could assign each map on their server a numerical range. So a medium map might have a range of 8-14, so if fewer than 8 people are on the server when the previous map ended then it would get skipped over and if more than 14 people were on the server it would get skipped over. (I know a public server that has a custom mod like this and it was a great idea.)

13. Keep up the good work with the Editor that allows modders and custom mappers to produce custom mods and maps.

14. Include an IRC browser as part of the server browser.

In short--produce an excellent and polished game with all of the trimmings. Produce a polished UT99-2 that feels like it was designed for PC gamers and whose user interface wasn't consolized in any sort of way. I think that such a game would prove to be a hit and that it would benefit from player-created "buzz" and viral marketing.

Comment

With that large list of demands, and without considering how long it takes to implement them, you are really increasing the chance of having another UT on the PC

Comment

Originally posted by Rikumaru View Post
                      Kensei is a L*S*R. =D !! Stop playing dude, you always talk nonsence
                      laat me eens met rust kankerjong :-/ your just (5 posts) comming on this forum to flame me ? wtf ? you don't even have the legal age to play the game.

telling active players to stop is really gonna make the community more active.

and i'm not against pickups, i'm against looking down on public.

Comment

Run it's course.

Comment

Working...
                        X