No announcement yet.

Keyboard and Mouse Advantage PS3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

helscream? he quit a duel against me the other day when i was winning like 15 to 5 lmao! perhaps he wasn't warmed up yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Judgement_Jay View Post
      If you buy a PS3, then spend extra cash to purchase controls other than the one that came in the box, then I would say you did so to create an advantage. Wouldn't You?
      There's a big difference between advantage and unfair advantage. Nothing unfair about kb/m. Sony supports it. UT3 supports it. It's fair.

Comment

Originally posted by R-66Y View Post
        helscream? he quit a duel against me the other day when i was winning like 15 to 5 lmao! perhaps he wasn't warmed up yet?
        I can assure you, he wasn't running... with the long-shot he was losing...or finds someone that beats him often...he'll eat it up like any competitive gamer..

Add me to your list...or I'll add you. We wanna get into vCTF as well...any mode for that matter. You're welcome to join our games whenever, but bring a mic?

Comment

First off, I just wanted to thank Epic for including m/k support in this game. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. The decision was bold since on one hand they were looking at a potential additional revenue from m/k users, on the other hand there is a body of console users very accustomed to sixaxis and perceiving m/k as a dangerous intrusion into their hermetic world of pad gaming, and consequently taking every opportunity to voice outcry.

Prior to actually playing this game, I was expecting the pad players to get severely owned by k/m, however the truth is that in this game in particular I don't believe using k/m provides such a huge advantage if any. Part of the reason is somewhat laggy and imprecise implementation, as well as autoaiming. But that's not the whole story.

In fact, I believe sixaxis is the low skill controller compared to k/m, since it delivers very good results in the game which much less effort in terms of eye-hand coordination. For example, it's trivial to rotate around and maintain the cursor on the same level, which is not equally as easy with the mouse. You can level that right, and get headshot sprees right there. I don't mean to do injustice to the top pad players, just pointing out that the basic movement and action is very easy with the pad.

The persons who have kindly shared their views along the lines of k/m controls being very easy to use, obviously have no idea. While I still believe that the potential for a top k/m user to outperform a pad user is there, it's not something that's going to happen without extensive practice.

That view is perhaps supported by opinions from a few folks who being good pad users, tried k/m and found being worse off with that. Obviously, if they found k/m to be the miracle solution, they would have stuck with that.

At the end of the day, what epic have given the UT community is choice. People can try both input methods and choose the one which gives them better results.

Using the best input method is the way to go, otherwise endless *****ing about fragfx, ds, true sixaxis->k/m adapter (yes, there is one -forgot the name). All input methods should be allowed so everybody can use what works best for them.

Comment

in warfare/VCTF i laugh at people using kbm...

then i hop on dm/tdm/dual/ctf and get my teeth kicked in =[

Comment

It does give advantage, it's more accurate, but it's not high advantage. If you get pwned by m/k user he is probably just better than you. I mean if guy can't play m/k or controller, it doesn't matter he still sucks.

Though I can't dodge with keyboard..

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
                Your statement is so illogical I don't even know where to begin.

How about we avoid a KB/M vs Controller debate and stick with the thread topic, which is whether using a kb/m is unfair. I say it's not. Why? For two reasons.

1. Anyone who chooses to do so can use a KB/M. Hence my drag race analogy.
                2. There are controller only servers.

So what exactly is unfair about it?
                versus controller its unfair... simple.

Originally posted by limputtaja View Post
                It does give advantage, it's more accurate, but it's not high advantage. If you get pwned by m/k user he is probably just better than you. I mean if guy can't play m/k or controller, it doesn't matter he still sucks.

Though I can't dodge with keyboard..
                all you have to do is point.... and click and you shoot there you want to. no aiming involved so it is unfair...

Comment

boohoohoo! lol this is one of the funniest polls yet

Comment

If they removed auto-aim from keyboard + mouse, I'd argue that it was pretty fair.

Comment

i guess i could contribute something useful...the ONLY advantage would be in a deathmatch where aiming is key. but even then i don't think it matters... it's all about skill and preference. the PS3 favors the controller btw. having mastered both i can say it really doesn't matter!

Comment

Originally posted by alx-ndr View Post
                        all you have to do is point.... and click and you shoot there you want to. no aiming involved so it is unfair...
                        LOL do you think that if it was so easy anybody would bother to organize cash tournaments with tens if not hundered k worth of prizes. anyway feel free to plug in m/k and show me how good you are with this trivial setup anytime

Comment

Hey...I use a tin can and a string for control...isn't a controller unfair?
                          Sheeesh.Sounds to me like a bunch of people saying it takes skills to use a controller because they dont own a keyboard/mouse. The runners up calling the winners a loser.
                          Not at all unfair...so long as it conforms to the game's basic limits of physics...KB/mouse give you accurate control..controllers don't...period. They were made for racing games and 2d games. Choose what you must.
                          But if you expect to be competitive...it IS THE WAY TO GO.
                          It's like saying " some people know their settings really well and tweak them...they don't play fair because I never learned the performance and skills it takes".
                          So long as it's legal and an option in game, it's open territory. If you are saying that you can kick a kb/mouse players *** with a controller that leaves you with half the accuracy..it only makes me wonder what "aids" you do it with or how below your play level your victim is.

On the other hand...I feel wholeheartedly with you...
                          Your stats are compared with players that have "an advantage".... you are judged not by input type...but by kills by the shallow. So it feels a little unbalanced.

Glad they have an option in consoles to play against ONLY controller players. Wish they had a PC option to play ONLY against Non Botters, Similar pc's and people with default settings.

At the end of the day, it's an allowable option....it's not that they have a nOOb-ish advantage. You were given a game that requires a mouse and keyboard by a company that wanted to push fps games onto a console made for less accuracy-intensive games. If you have to buy a kb/ mouse to play at the same level playing feild...they are only too happy to take your money. Upgrade to the maximum playing/paying options if you want to take your game to the level that competitive players do... otherwise just wink and smile at those on the upgrade treadmill and enjoy outwitting those players with paid for accuracy.
                          Enjoy the kills that you do get...start a non kb/ mouse server....HELL! start a petition to standardize game hardware options so that we TRULY DO have a level playing field, I'll sign it and help out! Especially if you help with PC standardization and anti cheats as well !

Comment

Originally posted by DaKilla84 View Post
                            i guess i could contribute something useful...the ONLY advantage would be in a deathmatch where aiming is key. but even then i don't think it matters... it's all about skill and preference. the PS3 favors the controller btw. having mastered both i can say it really doesn't matter!
                            agreed. even in DM, 80% of the best players I know use the pad (or should I say don't use m/k).

IMO too many times it's just an easy excuse for ambitious but impatient pad players who happen to lose to an m/k player. the masses of m/k noobs getting owned (ok, just witness a pc game online one day) don't get the headlines.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle+= View Post
                              If you have to buy a kb/ mouse to play at the same level playing feild...they are only too happy to take your money.
                              WTF is going on with people in the developed world complaining about the cost of a keyboard and mouse lol

Comment

BTW this is how the pioneers of FPS gaming used to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3iS3k-e-Pc

Comment

Working...
                                X