CTF Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I predominantly play CTF. Send a friend request to PeterVenkman, I can show you some stuff if you would like. Otherwise, here are some tips quoted from another thread where I gave some advice:

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

There are some basic tips for playing a shooter like UT3. They involve the following -

1. Never stand still. You are harder to hit when you are moving around. This is very important, but UT is not just about constant movement...it is about getting where you need to go as fast as possible. This leads me to

2. Learn to dodge well and do it often. Wall dodges are your best friend in this game. Jump, then jump again at the height of your jump, then dodge off of the wall you are standing next to at the height of your second jump. This will give you a very quick boost of speed. Once you get good at this, you will start to see every map as a wall dodge playground. You should use wall dodges a lot, especially to

3. Collect as much armor/health/ammo as possible. Not only is it good to collect weapons and learn to use them effectively in different situations, but it is also important to deprive your opponents of armor and health. You are harder to kill when you have full armor and 199 health, and a one on one showdown with an opponent sporting 100 health will most likely play out in your favor. Expert UT players learn routes around maps they play often, allowing them to time the armor spawn perfectly and show up exactly when it comes back. This way, they always get the shield and the opponent is always out of luck.

4. Be a good sportsman please. This game is having a hard enough time finding enough decent players, so it is important that you switch teams when it is uneven and encourage a fun playing environment.

I also suggest that you play through the single player campaign. It will expose you to the major gametypes so you can get a feel for which one you like the most. It will also give you an opportunity to learn the maps and practice these skills. Once you get some experience, you can start to work on the more advanced tips. Some of which are -

1. Mastering your weapons. I suggest binding each weapon to a different key that is comfortable to you. Each weapon has several firing modes and mastering them will help you tremendously. You can charge up 3 rockets at a time and fire them in different ways. You can also do shock combos. Try to time your rocket combos to maximize your damage and try to do shock combos while you are moving. Players that use the shock rifle are often easy to kill because they stand still while they are trying to do the shock combo. The best UT players can land a shock combo while they are dodging and moving around. Also, Goo is your friend in this game...it will help you in so many ways.

2. Learn to run backwards. This may not be as important in gametypes like Warfare, but I find that memorizing the maps and running backwards allows me to kill people in pursuit while I am taking the flag back to the base. This is a good skill to master, and it will pay off A LOT if you can aim, shoot and run backwards all at the same time.

3. Strategy is critical. Each different gametype has several strategies that can be effective against disorganized players. For instance, traveling in a pack in TDM usually gives one team an advantage. Good defense is key to winning online CTF matches. Warfare requires quick rushing offense and focus on the nodes. One universal strategy tip is that if you are ever on defense, you are most effective if you put yourself in between the opponent and their goal. If you are chasing a flag carrier, you want to get in front of him...put yourself between him and his base. If you are defending a node, put yourself between the node and the oncoming team (of course, you shouldn't be defending nodes in warfare unless you have the orb...warfare is sooo offense dependant).

4. Finally, work as a team. Cover your teammates. Don't ever think that you are playing this game alone against bots and they can take care of themselves. They can't. Cover cover cover cover cover cover cover. It's ok to take the lead, but your team will be very happy with you if you play the support role as well.

I think this is a good start.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I agree with everything that Clark Kent is saying except for:

3- Always leave a Translocator in the enemy base when you have grabed their flag, so if you do cap you can TL right back there and do it again.

Usually by the time you cap the flag someone will have fragged your translocator and when you go to translocate back it will give them an instant kill.

Also I try to leave most crucial powerups I.E. sheild belt and armor vest, for the flag runner they will need it when going into a heavily defended base, a defender has the clear advantage over the flag runner, hence, he does not need to be that heavily armored, just enough to stop a rocket.

I also try to leave the damage amp on coret for whoever is assisting the flag runner, they do more good with it than the flag runner themselves.

The main key to CTF is to learn the maps and become REALLY good with the translocator.

If you need someone to practice with I, like Killing_Spree, would be glad to help, my psn is Ice-Rhettro or rhettrostyle, send invite

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by JPINATOR View Post
    I need to sign up for a session
    When I joined the GOW server I think I got you added to my friends list.
    Send a msg sometime and we'll be happy to help you out..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I need to sign up for a session

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Some of EMC's CTF tricks... Don't tell anyone....

EMC has been playing UT CTF for over 9 years and some of our CTF tips are as follows:

1- The flag carrier fights as does his wing man/men. They always have 1-2 players on his team close for cover and ready with a Translocator so if the FC is losing health he/she calls it out and the covering players gets ready to Translocate and grab the flag to continue the flag run. This is one key technique that separates the noob clans from the top teams
    2- TeamSpeak is a must!
    3- Always leave a Translocator in the enemy base when you have grabed their flag, so if you do cap you can TL right back there and do it again.
    4- Never walk/run, always Translocate across the map
    5- Never grab the flag when you are alone except to stop the other team from capping. Go in to grab with a buddy at all times even if it means waiting a few seconds.
    6- POWER-UP's are critical.
    7- Drop the flag to try to draw the other FC out into the open if he/she is hiding like a little ******.
    8- Teamwork, Teamwork, Teamwork, Teamwork is the most important thing and takes time to develop
    9- Learn to do moving shock combo's
    10- You better learn the maps so you can fight backward as best you can
    11- Assign positions in a CTF match and know what your assignment is and DO IT!
    12- When your FC has the flag as a defender you need to move up to provide cover
    13- Assign someone to time the pick-up's
    14- Tell your team mates when you have just grabed the pickup! Say something like "Just grabed the amp as 10:55" so the other players can time the next pick up for the team.
    15- Watch for other teams players hanging around the pick up area, that's a dead give away that they are timing the pick-up's!!! So if you don't time them see if they are and steal it from them!
    16- Defenders must be mic'ed so if they get out of the base you can tell your team which way they went

This is why I hate DM and only play CTF and always will... PS - All of this may sound easy to do but believe my it's not!!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    come into #ut3ctf on gameradius irc, where the top tier ctf players hang out. i'm sure some of them are willing to share their secrets

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yes im on a PC, never got into the whole console thing... nothing against em, just my my tv is for movies

i do wish we could play UT across platforms, maybe someday...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by UnrealGrrl View Post
    have fun!
    Are you on PS3? Giving good advice....if you have a team, lets play? [edit] nevermind, just saw, im pretty sure you're pc

Anyone new to ctf *coming from a vehicle game/part of any active clan*... I will spend time training... (when the spare time is available)..

Just send an in-game friend invite..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Definitely moving in pairs or three is an asset. Depending on the map, and yes walking backwards in only necessary for confrontation. Shoot, pray to God you win the fire fight then bolt for home.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    im not a great player, but yes youre right. running backwards (read=learn the maps so you can move backwards) helps alot in ctf if you want to grab flags. flag running with your back turned is a sure way to get fragged fast. practice running backwards in an instant action game. trying to do it in a game online is certain death...

tell your teammates where you are. especially on bigger maps, if you can type it in fast enough or if youre on mic, keep in contact and say, going high, going low, left, right etc. also helps if you spot the EFC to report locations.

defending your flag and defending your flag carrier is more improtant than frags. personal score does not matter in ctf. only team score. of course it always helps to have good dm skills too. if your base is being overrun, you can sometimes tie up players in useless dm action and give your FC time to get away. this will only work against lesser players though.

learn to use the TL and learn to use it very well. you cant play UT CTF without it!

im one of those annoying flag runners that likes to hide with the flag, so its also good (imho) to know some good spots to crouch and wait (hthis mostly only works on larger maps) and if youre searching for your flag, dont always expect the EFC to be hanging around their base. they could be hiding, or if they are one of those really skilled players, they could be hunting down your flag carrier!

have fun!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by LunarBlackcat View Post
    How does that green room work in Vertabrae? I seen guys in there and figuted it was some sneaky flag route.
    it's not a flag route, it's a translocator short cut. There's a hole in the barrier that allows you to fire your translocator through it and get to the other side, there a berserk there too. You can shoot through the barrier, theres another barrier like that right beside the flag (though no hole for a translocator in that one) and you can shoot through it and cause some chaos in the enemy spawn area.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Also I should say that I'll probably be spending more time in CTF since it's my weakest mode, mostly cause I dont know the maps.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    How does that green room work in Vertabrae? I seen guys in there and figuted it was some sneaky flag route.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I guess I should probably give real advice:
    -Go through the levels and find out where it's useful to use the translocator
    -Learn to walldodge and use it while moving to make yourself harder to hit
    -Learn useful trick jumps
    -Try to make sure there is at least 1 person with a mic on your team and make sure he knows where you are and what you're doing and vice versa
    -Learn to time pickups
    -Play TDM to improve your ability to kill on foot
    -Learn choke points, spawn points, flag routes and high traffic areas
    -Learn the levels well enough to walk backwards through them with the flag
    -Remember that there is no such thing as a good hiding spot in CTF, someone will find you and if you want to keep the flag you will have to kill them
    -Always keep moving

I think that's all

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I always fall off the bridges in Omicron Dawn when walking backwards. Literally always. Haven't succeeded once. lol

Leave a comment:

Working...
X