CTF Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF Training

Sup. Hey could a couple of great players please explain what tactics they use to be effective in CTF. Too me its almost like you have to walk backwards back to your flag to even stand a chance. Also I've seen that working in pairs really helps cause a guys there to grab the flag if you drop it.

Please be detailed and thanks for the info.

Originally posted by LunarBlackcat View Post
    Too me its almost like you have to walk backwards back to your flag to even stand a chance.
    It helps, you don't know how many times I walked backwards off the bridge in Omicron Dawn before getting used to it.

Comment

I get lost in the enemy base with no map Barely beat the CTF levels in campaign thanks to my good bots

Comment

I always fall off the bridges in Omicron Dawn when walking backwards. Literally always. Haven't succeeded once. lol

Comment

I guess I should probably give real advice:
          -Go through the levels and find out where it's useful to use the translocator
          -Learn to walldodge and use it while moving to make yourself harder to hit
          -Learn useful trick jumps
          -Try to make sure there is at least 1 person with a mic on your team and make sure he knows where you are and what you're doing and vice versa
          -Learn to time pickups
          -Play TDM to improve your ability to kill on foot
          -Learn choke points, spawn points, flag routes and high traffic areas
          -Learn the levels well enough to walk backwards through them with the flag
          -Remember that there is no such thing as a good hiding spot in CTF, someone will find you and if you want to keep the flag you will have to kill them
          -Always keep moving

I think that's all

Comment

How does that green room work in Vertabrae? I seen guys in there and figuted it was some sneaky flag route.

Comment

Also I should say that I'll probably be spending more time in CTF since it's my weakest mode, mostly cause I dont know the maps.

Comment

Originally posted by LunarBlackcat View Post
                How does that green room work in Vertabrae? I seen guys in there and figuted it was some sneaky flag route.
                it's not a flag route, it's a translocator short cut. There's a hole in the barrier that allows you to fire your translocator through it and get to the other side, there a berserk there too. You can shoot through the barrier, theres another barrier like that right beside the flag (though no hole for a translocator in that one) and you can shoot through it and cause some chaos in the enemy spawn area.

Comment

im not a great player, but yes youre right. running backwards (read=learn the maps so you can move backwards) helps alot in ctf if you want to grab flags. flag running with your back turned is a sure way to get fragged fast. practice running backwards in an instant action game. trying to do it in a game online is certain death...

tell your teammates where you are. especially on bigger maps, if you can type it in fast enough or if youre on mic, keep in contact and say, going high, going low, left, right etc. also helps if you spot the EFC to report locations.

defending your flag and defending your flag carrier is more improtant than frags. personal score does not matter in ctf. only team score. of course it always helps to have good dm skills too. if your base is being overrun, you can sometimes tie up players in useless dm action and give your FC time to get away. this will only work against lesser players though.

learn to use the TL and learn to use it very well. you cant play UT CTF without it!

im one of those annoying flag runners that likes to hide with the flag, so its also good (imho) to know some good spots to crouch and wait (hthis mostly only works on larger maps) and if youre searching for your flag, dont always expect the EFC to be hanging around their base. they could be hiding, or if they are one of those really skilled players, they could be hunting down your flag carrier!

have fun!

Comment

Definitely moving in pairs or three is an asset. Depending on the map, and yes walking backwards in only necessary for confrontation. Shoot, pray to God you win the fire fight then bolt for home.

Comment

Originally posted by UnrealGrrl View Post
                      have fun!
                      Are you on PS3? Giving good advice....if you have a team, lets play? [edit] nevermind, just saw, im pretty sure you're pc

Anyone new to ctf *coming from a vehicle game/part of any active clan*... I will spend time training... (when the spare time is available)..

Just send an in-game friend invite..

Comment

yes im on a PC, never got into the whole console thing... nothing against em, just my my tv is for movies

i do wish we could play UT across platforms, maybe someday...

Comment

come into #ut3ctf on gameradius irc, where the top tier ctf players hang out. i'm sure some of them are willing to share their secrets

Comment

Some of EMC's CTF tricks... Don't tell anyone....

EMC has been playing UT CTF for over 9 years and some of our CTF tips are as follows:

1- The flag carrier fights as does his wing man/men. They always have 1-2 players on his team close for cover and ready with a Translocator so if the FC is losing health he/she calls it out and the covering players gets ready to Translocate and grab the flag to continue the flag run. This is one key technique that separates the noob clans from the top teams
                            2- TeamSpeak is a must!
                            3- Always leave a Translocator in the enemy base when you have grabed their flag, so if you do cap you can TL right back there and do it again.
                            4- Never walk/run, always Translocate across the map
                            5- Never grab the flag when you are alone except to stop the other team from capping. Go in to grab with a buddy at all times even if it means waiting a few seconds.
                            6- POWER-UP's are critical.
                            7- Drop the flag to try to draw the other FC out into the open if he/she is hiding like a little ******.
                            8- Teamwork, Teamwork, Teamwork, Teamwork is the most important thing and takes time to develop
                            9- Learn to do moving shock combo's
                            10- You better learn the maps so you can fight backward as best you can
                            11- Assign positions in a CTF match and know what your assignment is and DO IT!
                            12- When your FC has the flag as a defender you need to move up to provide cover
                            13- Assign someone to time the pick-up's
                            14- Tell your team mates when you have just grabed the pickup! Say something like "Just grabed the amp as 10:55" so the other players can time the next pick up for the team.
                            15- Watch for other teams players hanging around the pick up area, that's a dead give away that they are timing the pick-up's!!! So if you don't time them see if they are and steal it from them!
                            16- Defenders must be mic'ed so if they get out of the base you can tell your team which way they went

This is why I hate DM and only play CTF and always will... PS - All of this may sound easy to do but believe my it's not!!!

Comment

I need to sign up for a session

Comment

Working...
                              X