Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Leave the Nightshade alone! Or at least use it cooperatively.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leave the Nightshade alone! Or at least use it cooperatively.

On every map with a Nightshade, the first thing you see when a round begins is 50% of the team go rushing for it, sometimes going as far as deliberately pushing other players out of the way, while completely ignoring other equally essential vehicles, like the Darkwalker. After that, quite a few players can be observed camping its spawn point for half the game, completely forgetting to actually play and help the team. Please don't do this! The Nightshade is fun, but the other vehicles are fun too, they just take a bit of practice and effort to use effectively.

If you really must waste your time vying for it, then here are some tips to use it in a way that helps the team to win the game, rather than merely racking up a Spider Mine Massacre, mostly applicable to Warfare:
    • Use the other deployables. spider mines get a lot of kills, but kills aren't always useful. The slow volume can discourage the enemy from taking a particular route, although it's only really useful on an asymmetrical one where your team isn't also inconvenienced, e.g. the jump pads on Islander which are mostly used by the enemy. The EMP can snag a lot of vehicles for you, potentially crippling the enemy team if someone from your team steals them. The shield is good for shielding not only nodes (be careful shielding nodes, because you can end up preotecting a node for the enemy if they should take it from you), but also vehicles, as explained below.
    • Use the spider mines where they actually help. Putting them on an enemy spawn point doesn't do a lot of good, because they just spawn again immediately. Putting them near a node you want to defend is better, because then the enemy must spend a lot of time running back again after being killed. It's best to put them where there are also human defenders, otherwise the enemy can take his time killing the spiders from a safe location.
    • Deployables are not the only strength of the Nightshade. Perhaps the best part is the primary Link beam, which has multiple uses, e.g.
    • Nodes are of the utmost importance! You are expendable, nodes are often not. If an important node is in danger of being destroyed, use the Link beam on it. It never runs out of ammo, so you can heal the node all day until reinforcements arrive, or the node becomes secure. For anyone on foot that sees this happening, link to the Nightshade, not the node. The Nightshade can keep the node up all by itself, so it's best to keep the Nightshade alive as long as possible.
    • Try becoming a heavy vehicle's best friend. This is possibly the most powerful tactic available to you. Find a friendly Goliath, Darkwalker or Nemesis and make it your mission to keep it alive for the entire game. Stick close to it and heal it with the primary Link beam. You'll want to do your best to stay out of sight, otherwise the enemy will switch targets to you and your mission will be cut short, although in many cases it's best to concentrate purely on healing, since your ward will take out the enemy quicker that way, making you safe again. Use the deployables to help. Of particular use are the shield, which both you and your ward can hide behind, and the EMP, which keeps those pesky Mantas and self-destructing Vipers at bay.
    • Beware of car thieves. Ok, so sometimes you have to get out for repairs, but you must be 100% sure that the enemy will not steal it from you, and under no circumstances must you abandon your vehicle. An enemy team that gains two Nightshades is going to find it rather easy to win.

You won't gain as many points, but do this and your team will be pleased, instead of berating you for being a camping bastard.

Putting the S. Mines on an enemy spawn point is good in vCTF b/c your flag carrier can escape while the enemy is dealing with the attacking spiders. I am also absolutley sick of PEOPLE GRAPPLING ONTO MY NIGHTSHADE WHILE I AM CLOAKED...YOU JUST GIVE AWAY THE POSITION!

Comment

Thanks for the post, Evil. I'm a newbie and see a lot of good info in there.

I wish we got points for support roles and kill assists like in other games. Healing a darkwalker all game sure might win the match, but it's damn disheartening to be at the bottom of the scorecard.

Comment

MrEvil, this is no different than people flaking the manta on torlan @ start in 2k4. Its just something to get used to, in life in general: alot of people dont give a crap about anyone else and just want their cheeseburger first.

Comment

Also, don't forget that the Spider Mines, EMP and Energy Shield can be placed on friendly and enemy vehicles, if you can get the Nightshade above them.

Comment

Originally posted by {AiC}ZzyzX View Post
            Putting the S. Mines on an enemy spawn point is good in vCTF b/c your flag carrier can escape while the enemy is dealing with the attacking spiders. I am also absolutley sick of PEOPLE GRAPPLING ONTO MY NIGHTSHADE WHILE I AM CLOAKED...YOU JUST GIVE AWAY THE POSITION!

Yeah for VCTF Namely Necropolis due to no other stock maps with one, doing that does help get the flag carrier out of there easier, Id say for Warfare though its way more important to heal vehicles/Nodes with it. And I absolutely hate it when people grapple on the nightshade while in cloak, I mean come one thats just common sense not to. I just stop and wait for them to unlatch either that or I uncloak and go backwards usually will make them unlatch.

Comment

On floodgate you should put spider mines at the portal of the enemy prime node. It works a charm.

Comment

What this game needs is a mutator that awards stuff like healing friendly vehicles. That way, even the score whores will cooperate.

Comment

Well said demoniac.. +1

Comment

yes more points for team work!

Comment

Maybe the game should even give kills to a player who's been keeping a tank alive long enough when the tank gets kills?

Comment

Back in the Ut2K4 demo days. It became clear that some people were more interested in camping the raptor spawn than actually fighting. There was a whole thread of excellent custom pictures on the old forum of spoofed war information posters telling newbies not to camp the raptor. Maybe they need to be redone for the nightshade?

Comment

Leave Paris Alone

Comment

I've had a few bastards use dirty tricks to steal vehicles from me. Although it wasn't a Nightshade, someone purposly blasted a Viper out of my way just as I was about to get in and then he took it.

But what is annoying is when people stay at the base ALL THE TIME just waiting for the Nightshade to spawn. The time they wait for it could be used for carrying the orb.

Comment

Leave the Nightshade parked. You cant score with it. It's slow and pathetic. Never gives me problems unless Sythe is waiting in it down low on Necro and invisibely hops out and flakes me, returns flag, then hops back in within .02 secs.

Comment

Working...
                              X