Why biohazard over and over?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why biohazard over and over?

I don't get it. I understand every once in a while, but anytime I go on UMG TDM, everyone votes biohazard. Why? 15-20 players in that map is fun? And they vote it over and over and over.

Biohazard-Deck-Biohazard-Deck-Deck-Biohazard-Biohazard-Biohazard...

?

^^One of the major flaws with map voting.
    All servers should be using the system where once a map gets voted in, it is removed from the list until all the others have been played and the list resets. I've seen a few that do this, but I'm surprised that it's not common practice.

Comment

Not everyone wants pure hardcore all the time. Maps like Biohazard are just good chaotic fun. It's not my most favoritest map ehvar, but I can certainly see the appeal: even a brand new player can get frags and have a good time in that map without people insulting them and beating them down until they're ashamed of themselves. Any anyway, the map is _great_ stress relief.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow Dancer View Post
        All servers should be using the system where once a map gets voted in, it is removed from the list until all the others have been played and the list resets. I've seen a few that do this, but I'm surprised that it's not common practice.
        This system would ultimately lead to players having to play the worst/least liked maps in succession, as they would likely be the last in the cycle.

A better system would be to remove the map for a number of matches. So if Biohazard is played, it won't show back up in the vote list until n number of matches have been played, where n is defined by the server admin.

Comment

You just fear the hammer

Ctf is alot worse, we get a skilled game going then the 4 noobs in last place vote face and ruin the game. Happens every 3-4 maps.

Btw demios was picked after biohazard (and killed server). That map is by far the worst map ive seen in any ut series.

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
            Not everyone wants pure hardcore all the time. Maps like Biohazard are just good chaotic fun. It's not my most favoritest map ehvar, but I can certainly see the appeal: even a brand new player can get frags and have a good time in that map without people insulting them and beating them down until they're ashamed of themselves. Any anyway, the map is _great_ stress relief.
            I disagree entirely.

Having your teammates constantly run into you blocking you off from escape, weapons, etc...and having them contsantly shoot you with their weapons affecting your ability to move properly, is not fun, it's frustrating as hell.

You missed my point as well. I mean, if it is such a good map (which is a matter of opinion), then why were other maps made? Why not just make biohazard and deck? As I said, it's fine every once in a while, but it's chronic.

I do believe your point about noobs is valid. All the decent players leave when bio is repeatedly voted for.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonBlood View Post
              A better system would be to remove the map for a number of matches. So if Biohazard is played, it won't show back up in the vote list until n number of matches have been played, where n is defined by the server admin.
              I've seen this before playing on 2k4 servers. I think it would do wonders. Good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwixx View Post
                Btw demios was picked after biohazard (and killed server). That map is by far the worst map ive seen in any ut series.
                You missed the point also.

I like Demios and have no problem playing it occasionally, but I would not want to play ANY map over and over.

Comment

Well, if the majority of players are voting for Map A and you want Map B, you're probably better off on another server I get sick of Deck more than anything. I've been on servers where it gets voted repeatedly, and with any more than 8 players it's a spam fest (which is fun occasionally). But I can't really tell the other 20-odd players that they have to play the map I want to play and I can't really fault their preference. If I'm in VCTF I'd gladly vote Sandstorm over and over and over again, because I absolutely love it, but I also know most of my friends are sick of it or never liked it in the first place.

Comment

yo..taff...whats up bro...i just think it gives unskilled players a chance to get some frags..put them same players on heat ray or shangrila and thier in a world of sh@#

Comment

Yeah I know. If people vote it then majority rules. I'm just trying to understand the mentality behind it and what can be done to encourage playing other maps.

The last few days I've played the map selection has been very one-sided.

hey doc

Comment

This is why people go on IRC and play with the competitive people

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow Dancer View Post
                          I have to agree. I always end up quitting out when I try and play UT3 online... the same few maps, which happen to be ones I intensely dislike, get voted over and over again. I would gladly suffer through it if I knew it would be the last time I had to for a while!

Comment

Originally posted by Harmatia View Post
                            I have to agree. I always end up quitting out when I try and play UT3 online... the same few maps, which happen to be ones I intensely dislike, get voted over and over again. I would gladly suffer through it if I knew it would be the last time I had to for a while!
                            Either that or MoonBlood's idea (with a requisite of about 8-9 maps [for a DM maplist, 4-5 for VCTF unless therere a lot of custom maps in the playlist] before a map becomes available again,) would really help with not only this, but the endless Suspense and Torlan maps, as well. Just so long as there's a good wait time between the recurrences.

People can still set up dedicated Bio/Deck servers if they like, but this should reduce the overplaying from being too widespread, ideally.

Comment

I don't know how anyone could call 16 player DM on Biohazard fun. Part of this is on the head of the server admin. As for calling it stress relief, maybe, but I don't tend to enjoy practicing my spawning when I get online.

There are other maps to play, but on UMG's tdm server in particular, and another decently populated DM server, anytime you pick a custom map it cleans out the server. For some reason people won't play the custom stuff, what the reason is, I don't know.

The only guess I have is that the graphics don't tend to be as good. There just arent a lot of maps to choose from for an 8v8 or 16 player DM that are good fun. Deck, Arsenal, Shangri-La, Defiance, Sanctuary, Heat-Ray, Deimos, and Gateway are really the only ones big enough. There are lots of players who don't like Deimos and Gateway (myself included) and a lot of players who object to having a darkwalker in Heat Ray.

As for the repeat nature of some maps, the voting doesn't take into account frequency. People come and go in a server, so they are going to want to play their favorites. That very well could mean deck for the umpteenth time, even though it was played 2 maps earlier, there is no way for people to know...

I have the same gripe about Campgrounds. When thats loaded on a server people can't seem to get enough of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X