Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What texture/character detail setting is the PS3 running at do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What texture/character detail setting is the PS3 running at do you think?

I have the PC version and have been looking at PS3 footage... I'm just curious as to what character and texture setting the PS3 is running. The PC version has 5 selections for those options and if I was gonna guess, the PS3 looks like it's running the 3rd setting for texture and character. The 3rd setting still looks fantastic IMO too.

The PS3 version looks pretty good, it's just a little slower paced due to using a controller, and the FPS is apparently capped at 30fps like most console games, but the nice motion blur makes it mostly a non-issue.

(I own the PC version and used to own the PS3 version too)

Comment

world detail 2 and texture detail 2.

Comment

depends on whether you are playing on a HD TV with the cable or not...
        I use a gaming HD TV from Bang & Olufsen. The HD graphics surpass any PC graphics I have seen... but the normal PS3 graphics wouldn't be as good obviously and if you are playing on a bad TV then yeh lol

Comment

Would also be interesting to know what the console versions native resolution is. Apparently some newish console games are not even up to 720p standard.

Comment

I doubt it's any specific number on the sliders. Do people see shadows under characters/vehicles, for example? Does the rain show on Downtown, or the light cones on Sandstorm? Those sorts of things require a world detail above 3 on the PC.

Comment

Alx,

These statments aren't subjective: "The PC UT3, maxed out, looks better than the PS3 version no matter what. Way better. Period." The PC has way more power, ETC ETC. This is not flaming, this is just the truth. Argue all you want though.

And yes, I know we can't get an exact number on the sliders, I'm just talking ballpark figures. I still think, according to my experience with the PC and seeing the PS3 ver in action at verious places, it looks like the 3rd setting for texture/character. Maybe 2 and a half would be more accurate I guess.

Comment

Alx,

These statments aren't subjective: "The PC UT3, maxed out, looks better than the PS3 version no matter what. Way better. Period." The PC has way more power, ETC ETC. This is not flaming, this is just the truth. Argue all you want though.

And yes, I know we can't get an exact number on the sliders, I'm just talking ballpark figures. I still think, according to my experience with the PC and seeing the PS3 ver in action at verious places, it looks like the 3rd setting for texture/character. Maybe 2 and a half would be more accurate I guess.
                yeh, ur flaming lol
                On HD the PS3 is better (1080p)... on SD the PS3 is worse (only 480i/576i resolution), simple lol

Post your PCs specs?

The PS3s NVIDIA RSX has output resolutions of up to 1080p on HD and is almost exactly the same as the NVIDIA 8 series cards (same specs), which as you know is the latest one apart from the 9 series which isn't available yet.
                The PS3s new microprocessor is faster than Intel's 3.8ghz processor, the ps3s one runs at over 4ghz. The previous ps3 one ran at 3.2ghz which is still faster than most PCs...
                The PS3 is a HD console so making a decision based on its SD quality isn't accurate of what it can do...

Do people see shadows under characters/vehicles, for example? Does the rain show on Downtown, or the light cones on Sandstorm?
                With the slider settings on the PC you are taking away textures and lowering the resolutions of textures and removing shadows etc... the PS3 has all of these intact.

Comment

Do not confuse resolution with graphics quality. Resolution makes things look sharper, but doesn't improve the lightning, shadowing, textures, characters, etc.

There is no reason why a PC wouldn't have much better graphics running at 1080p...

Comment

as i said the NVIDIA RSX is the same as the 8 series cards... so if you don't have an NVIDIA 8 or better then the ps3 is better... and the pc can't run HD unless you can make your own set of HD pc games...

Comment

It's more a 6800 Ultra actually. And the game is not running at 1080p. It may not even be running 720p, a lot of console games run lower (say 640p) and upscale to either 720p or 1080p for output.

I can assure you there is no way the PS3 is running Unreal at 1080p.

The TV has nothing to do with it. I think in this day and age, when comparing graphics, we assume we're talking about an HD TV.

Comment

First of all, the nVidia RSX is based on the G71 chip, which is used on the 7900 cards, it's equivalent to high end of the geforce 7 series, not 8. It's performance is somewhere between 7800's and 7900's.

And of course a PC can run at HD.

Comment

Originally posted by alx-ndr View Post
                          On HD the PS3 is better
                          The ps3 can only render UT3 at 720p sorry 1280x720
                          Also there is a hackish scaler feature added to the ps3 SDK to make 1080p by making the resolution 960x1080 and doubling the horizontal resolution which is only 20% more pixels than full 720p.

Many PCs are capable of "HD" gaming. In fact I've been playing at "HD" resolutions since 1998. For the longest time I have played at 1280x960 for games.

Many benchmarks for new cards start at 1280x1024 and up, meaning most newer video cards are already "HD Compatable". To get a PC hooked to an HDTV is usually as easy as buying a VGA/Component cable. The disadvantage with doing this is that all HDTVs have overscan, you lose 5-10% of your picture. It is one of the biggest problems with using PCs on HDTVs as icons will not show up on the edges.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKillGrill View Post
                            Many benchmarks for new cards start at 1280x1024 and up, meaning most newer video cards are already "HD Compatable". To get a PC hooked to an HDTV is usually as easy as buying a VGA/Component cable. The disadvantage with doing this is that all HDTVs have overscan, you lose 5-10% of your picture. It is one of the biggest problems with using PCs on HDTVs as icons will not show up on the edges.
                            Actually that's not correct. I have my PC hooked in to my HD TV right now. TV is 1366*768, I run through VGA at 1360&768 so nearly 1:1, and I get no overscan at all. If you run through HDMI you'll get overscan, but HD LCD/plasma TVs do not have overscan if fed a native VGA signal.

Comment

Originally posted by ChainsawFilms View Post
                              Actually that's not correct. I have my PC hooked in to my HD TV right now. TV is 1366*768, I run through VGA at 1360&768 so nearly 1:1, and I get no overscan at all.
                              It varies from TV to TV. My projector has nearly no overscan while my friend's plasma cuts the start bar in half. Not all TV are guaranteed to have a 1:1 mode.

Comment

Working...
                              X