Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This game has the greatest weapons...literally.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
    What you say is only valid in DM and CTF. In WAR and vCTF you could kill Raptors, Cicadas, Paladins, Mantas, Scorpians, and Tanks at extreme range, The sniper is only good for hitting the player and has no damage like the lightning gun did on armor and vehicles. The shock is good at close and med without a scope.
    Oh, that hadn't even occurred to me. I know exactly what you're talking about. Many times in UT2k4 I'd thought to myself, "Man, why do they have to sit back and lightning gun me? Why can't they come up and fight like a man?"

But yeah, that's what the AVRiL is for. It's a man's way to take down the big game.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow Dancer View Post
      Given the way the Sniper felt in 2004, if that was all I knew, I'd want the Lightning gun back, too. The LG's small splash damage led to some fun shots. Double and Multi-kills with a single sniper shot...
      The concept is still pretty cool, though. I'd be interested to see it come back as a dedicated anti-vehicle weapon, where it could have some real power and oomph to it, as well as a role separate from the Sniper, whose current incarnation I'm quite a fan of.
      I agree that the Lightning Gun would make a pretty sweet anti-vehicle weapon. (or perhaps even superweapon). Perhaps instead of just destroying vehicles, it could disable them for a limited amount of time. There are so many possibilities . Scripters, or epic, should bring back the lightning gun!

Comment

Lightning gun, bring that and the Ripper back in an bonus pack.

Comment

Originally posted by W!zzard View Post
          I agree that the Lightning Gun would make a pretty sweet anti-vehicle weapon. (or perhaps even superweapon). Perhaps instead of just destroying vehicles, it could disable them for a limited amount of time. There are so many possibilities . Scripters, or epic, should bring back the lightning gun!
          That's a good idea.
          Have it do about 300 damage, but make it disable vehicles instead of destroy them, locking them for a little while. Smaller vehicles would get disabled instantly, if the operator is able to land the shot, and tougher vehicles would require several shots, allowing them time to retaliate or find cover.

It could fire, instead of one bolt, a collection of several bolts, and all have to hit to deal the 300 damage. Thus, against infantry, only a fraction of the bolts would hit, reducing the total damage. Since it's designed as an EMP burst, the damage in general could be reduced against soft targets. This would also allow smaller vehicles to potentially avoid some of the bolts and escape a shot without being disabled.

Giving it a small charge-up or lock-on time (an avenue left open by the description for how it works: needing to paint the ion patch on a target before the bolt knows where to go) would increase the challenge involved in hitting faster targets, provide a warning, and reduce its effectiveness against infantry. I suppose the idea would be something like an EMP Spartan Laser.

The large lightning bolt and rolling thunder from each shot would alert pretty much everyone to the location of its user upon firing, meaning the operator would need to be efficient and strategic in choosing his targets, and have an escape route planned.

Where the AVRiL seems to work best mid to close range (where vehicles have little chance to avoid or destroy the missile) this would provide a long-range anti-vehicle solution, but hopefully still in a manner with a fair amount of risk involved. With a fairly slow fire rate, Raptor pilots, counter-snipers or other nearby vehicles could easily remove an unprepared LG user. Speaking of long-range vehicles, its scope could have a special overlay that highlights vehicles against the level, providing an easy counter to the "lost the Raptor in the sun" situation.

This might make it too devastating, but it could lock the vehicle only to the enemy team, allowing friendlies to hijack the newly disabled enemy war machines; meaning that the LG could not only help stem a vehicle assault, but potentially turn the battle right back around on the enemy team if not dealt with properly.

Such a powerful weapon would not be handed out as liberally as the AVRiL, but would likely be a map resource that teams would fight for control of. Like a midstep between the AVRiL and the Redeemer in terms of importance.

If we're going to bring the Ripper back, I'd love to see the Ripjack from UC2, with all of its fire-modes intact.

Comment

It does but I wish they would make a flamethrower for UT one day.

I bought Timeshift last year, and that had some GREAT weapons as well, rivalling UT very much.

It had this pistol with exploding bullets and a secondary flamethrower.

Comment

the sniper is coded very differently than the shock, it seems.

is it because they wanted the sniper to not be ping dependent? i guess thats cool....but if you make two hitscan weapons different, how the hell are people supposed to master them?

make them both the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Skywalker View Post
                Lightning gun, bring that and the Ripper back in an bonus pack.
                Someone's already made a mut for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Opp View Post
                  the sniper is coded very differently than the shock, it seems.

is it because they wanted the sniper to not be ping dependent? i guess thats cool....but if you make two hitscan weapons different, how the hell are people supposed to master them?

make them both the same way.
                  You'd master them the same way you master any other different weapons, by using them both.

Comment

they are both hitscan. same firing mode, distance, etc. just rate should be different. but something else is wrong.

ergo, your argument is invalid.

Comment

Originally posted by Opp View Post
                      they are both hitscan. same firing mode, distance, etc. just rate should be different. but something else is wrong.

ergo, your argument is invalid.
                      The Sniper and Shock are different guns, and if there's something else different about them, then practice with both until you learn how to use them both well. If there is this difference in the code that makes them behave differently in some noticeable way, then you should be perfectly capable of learning to adapt to that difference.
                      If it's not noticeable, then who cares if there's a difference in the code?

My argument is not that there should or should not be something different. You noted that there was something different in the code. By you're mentioning this, I presumed that meant that this difference caused something noticeable in the game, and you could then get a feel for it and adapt. If it does not cause anything different, then who cares if they're coded differently or not?
                      It might be that the way the shock is coded is to better handle the combo capability that the sniper doesn't have.

Also, the damage is different between the two. Does that make them impossible to master?

Comment

Working...
                      X