Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ageia maps

Hi
    Has anyone tried the Ageia Physx map pack with the ctf maps?
    I tried it but it keeps loading nothing happens.

Let it load alittle longer.. They take quite a while to load. You won't have playable speeds unless you have a monster PC + PhysX card..

Comment

I had same problem when i had 1gb of ram. It loaded about 10minutes!
      Now, on 2GB loads as the other maps.

Comment

You must have a PhysX card. You need 2Gb ram. You need a performance rig as well. Min hardware is a 2.4GHz dual core plus a 7800GTX, that's minimum!

Comment

My rig:
          E6750 at 2,66
          MSI 8800gt OC'ed (by MSI)
          Windows XP
          OCZ 4 gb ram (2x 2gb), windows only detects 3,5

the 8800gt is a physx card right? and the 4gb ram should be enough?

Comment

Afaik the physX card is seperate. I remember reading something like 8800's were capable of the same job as a physics card but i dont think its been done yet.

Comment

Hmm in that case ill skip those maps..

Comment

Originally posted by Skandalouz View Post
                My rig:
                E6750 at 2,66
                Windows XP

No other cards are PhysX cards except for the Ageia, maybe one day nvidia and ATI video cards will handle physics, but even then not unless your in 2x SLI or crossfire. Only the Ageia PhysX card will work until then. After that, it will still work better than making your video card do double duty. Until then, the Ageia PhysX card will be the only PhysX card. You have a good system, but, you need to buy the Ageia card if you want to play those maps at decent FPS.

Comment

The maps not only suck, but also get ****ty performance no matter what-- even with a physx card.

Comment

Originally posted by Skandalouz View Post
                    My rig:
                    E6750 at 2,66
                    Windows XP

At the moment, no...

However, Ageia was bought by nVidia... and nVidia said they will give ALL Geforce 8's and up the ability to run the PhysX API

So... some time in the future -- yes it will be a physx card... just not yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Harmatia View Post
                      The maps not only suck, but also get ****ty performance no matter what-- even with a physx card.
                      You know that's your EE cpu making it real bad. They run fine for me with the older socket 939 dual core. They run no worse than vCTF-Containment or WAR-Torlan-Necris.

An AMD cpu with 512Kb cache per core will have a bad time with the Ageia maps. Intel C2D and AMD cpu with 1Mb x2 cache will do well. Only high end systems can run these maps well. Cheap cpu chips cannot. Lighthouse and Tornado are cool, 6vs6 with skilled or adept bots. Too bad nobody plays these online.

Comment

Where can I play these? They're not in the directory..

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
                          You know that's your EE cpu making it real bad. They run fine for me with the older socket 939 dual core. They run no worse than vCTF-Containment or WAR-Torlan-Necris.

An AMD cpu with 512Kb cache per core will have a bad time with the Ageia maps. Intel C2D and AMD cpu with 1Mb x2 cache will do well. Only high end systems can run these maps well. Cheap cpu chips cannot. Lighthouse and Tornado are cool, 6vs6 with skilled or adept bots. Too bad nobody plays these online.
                          I just bought an AMD 6400+ and I'm getting literally 2-3 more FPS than I was with my overclocked 5000+... in the areas that were CPU-bottlenecked. So that means identical performance almost 100% of the time.

I think we just have different ideas of what decent performance is. I need 60 FPS constant; I'll sacrifice every visual setting in game if I have to to achieve it. The problem with the ageia maps is that they are bottlenecked to 40 FPS BY THE ********* PHYSX CARD! Ageia has to be one of the worst companies ever to exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Harmatia View Post
                            I just bought an AMD 6400+ and I'm getting literally 2-3 more FPS than I was with my overclocked 5000+... in the areas that were CPU-bottlenecked. So that means identical performance almost 100% of the time.

I think we just have different ideas of what decent performance is. I need 60 FPS constant; I'll sacrifice every visual setting in game if I have to to achieve it. .
                            I guess Socket 939 still rules.

Comment

Working...
                            X