Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crucial Info for those who do Video ( you tube info )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have posted on this forum my techniques i use for capturing video.
    ( ill post it again here, more in depth.)

currently im running fraps thru its paces and im not too fond of it.

sound isnt stereo if i port it into my pc from an external source then route it thru the line input,
    then use the STEREO MIX slider to set the levels.

if i do that the music will be MONO.
    only way to achieve STEREO is to use the same pc as the game and use MEDIA PLAYER and play the music.
    it will then be stereo, but then im stealing cpu cycles by running a media player along with the game AND fraps.

i might go back to my original method:

heres my setup:

pc #1 runs the game
    S-Video cables from my video card ( nview CLONE )
    audio out cables - 1/8 stereo mini to RCA pair. audio out from pc.

i hook those cables to an analog to digital conversion box called DVD Xpress DX2
    this box will convert an ANAOLOG video /audio to Divx AVI on the fly !
    its a hardware encoder.
    this device outputs the signal via USB.

enter PC #2 ( older Compaq 5000 Duron 800 meg cpu, Maxtor 7200 rpm drives)
    hookup USB cable, turn on the recording software
    i ususally use Divx 720x480 settings with highest quality output for audio
    48000 khz at 384 kbps- at MPEG 1 layer 2 -thats why the music sounds so good in my vids.
    ( and i know, most devices now use MP3, this one is a few years old, and doesnt offer MP3)

to put MUSIC in my vids i play a CD and port it into line input. on PC1.
    ( or when using the DVD method i used PC 2 as the music source, and windows media player)

IN MY VIDEOS, THE MUSIC PLAYS AS I PLAY THE GAME !

now were ready to play and record!
    play the game, play the music, record while playing, try to keep something interesting in the frame.
    try to keep the action intune with the music lyrics
    if its a metal song, usually its talking about kicking ***! so make stuff explode!
    game over? stop the software. your video is now ready for editing
    my two PC's are networked via a nifty USB cable that lets me send files back n forth.

so i drag the new vid to PC 1 and fire up Premiere Elements.
    add my bumper at the front, a title graphic, trim the in and out points inb my vid,
    then output the video in WMV format
    still in the 720x480 frame size. usually at 5000 bit rate. ( or sometimes 3000)
    2 pass - non drop frame at 29.97 fps - variable unconstrained bitrate mode - square pixels

VIDEO OUTPUT SETTINGS - PREMIERE ELEMENTS
    [shot]http://mettle-works.diinoweb.com/files/My%20Photo%20Album/videosetup1.png[/shot]
    AUDIO OUTPUT SETTINGS - PREMIERE ELEMENTS
    [shot]http://mettle-works.diinoweb.com/files/My%20Photo%20Album/audiosetup1.png[/shot]

then i upload to You Tube and File front.

alternatively you can hook your PC to a DVD recorder
    S-Video cables and Audio hooked up to DVD Rec.
    monitor it on a TV or smaller monitor.

then after i can port the video from the DVD using once again my little friend DVD Xpress
    DVD Rec to PC .

the first method is the best because as PC 2 records, when its over all i have to do is drag the file over to PC 1.

i dont have to sit there and watch the video upload from a DVD

but ive don both methods in making my vids.
    and all mky vids are full games.
    youll se a complete game play out, no clips thrown together as a montage.
    i like to capture the action as a whole game. but it has to be intense.
    i strive for intensity in onscreen action combined with the intensity of the music.
    once those 2 meld, it becomes something very special.

Comment

forgive my ignorance but can I capture my games without fraps. Say if I bought some hardware that does it or is the hardware just for capturing from an external source? Of course I mean capturing in HD so the video quality is crystal clear.

Comment

i just outlined above how to do a Fraps-less capture.

the hardware is an encoder.
        it encodes the video as it processes the signal all in real time.

you kno0w that when you make a video in Premiere, rendering can take many minutes if not hours.

this crunches it all on the fly.
        the DVD Xpress i use - i bought at wal mart 2 years ago-
        so its been updated by a new product im sure.

and most prob will do HD.

i have not explored HD yet.

i think its overkill. unless youre doing 3D rendering like that 1 guy doing the Machinma project with 3D vehicles from the game.

id like to see alternatives to in PC capture.
        any besides Fraps anyone knows about and has had good results ?

and i dont wanna hear about camtasia. thats off the table.

Comment

like I said forgive my ignorace Thanks for your help Slippster!

Comment

To be honest there is an improvement but not by that much for resolution. As for the music, I support those against death metal. Death metal in gaming is plain BAD imo. Like trying to race with a 50ton tank and expecting ppl to not notice or giving very little kids drugs/alcohol/other **** and expecting them to know how to use it, like it and be pro at it. The Death metal not only removes ALL atmoshpere and feel of the game but makes it disconnected with the actual video footage. Like watching a movie on your TV but the sound is instead someone talking on the news. It makes the two things completely different instead of complimenting each other. Video itself is ok though can use a little more Sony Vegas edits. As for your godlike, pretty nice. My own personal was on Floodgate when I got in the nightshade in the beggining of the game and did NOT get killed the whole game. It was a relatively pro server too (Phx server) and the kills were somewhere around 55...what stopped me was the game ending lol.

Comment

*** its worth mentioning all my vids at this point ARE NOT FRAPS VIDEOS.
              they are Divx avi's edited in Premiere Elements, and rendered to WMV format,
              then uploaded to You Tube.
              That is like nightmare quality..

for max quality you want:
              fraps edited in Premiere (RAW FOR GOD SAKES) -> Exportet in RAW AVI -> Then encoded with Avidemux..
              Because now the videos are encoded only once!.. and it shall only be once!
              Because each time you encode the video you get quality reduction.. think about that

Comment

wait a minute-
                lets weed out the term "Death Metal"

Ozzy Osbourne and Zakk Wylde ARE NOT DEATH METAL !!!!!!!!
                i cannot say that loud enough.
                its ROCK N ROLL!

get off your soap box mmkay?

I know- its only rock n roll BUT I LIKE IT !! - Rolling Stones

asking me to change the way i present my videos is disrespectful.
                want just ingame video and nothing else?
                JOIN THE TEAM and MAKE YOUR OWN VIDEOS.

ask Prince to stop wearing frilly clothes? not gonna happen!
                ask Pete Townsend to stop doing the windmill? not gonna happen!

ask me to remove the driving force that makes my videos what they are ?? SORRY! NOT GONNA HAPPEN.
                your opinion has been noted. thank you, drive thru.

Comment

wow Nuke you challenge my talents.
                  and my methods.

but i see your point.
                  the method you outline there sounds alot like what i was doing all summer
                  making a DVD and demuxing for that end use,
                  so those techniques are familiar but i never thought about doing that for my game videos.

ill have to rethink my methods.

question- do you retain the game sounds?
                  or completely eliminate them and use music in post editing?

i have to have my music.
                  thats what my vids are.
                  and preserving the ingame environment sounds too.

i wanna do 1 video * your way * of processing.
                  I have several Fraps videos ready to go!
                  just waiting for processing/editing
                  (i pumped music into them as well.)
                  i do want to learn something new.
                  thats what your site is about. and well talk more...

but know im interested in working with you ok?

======

OH, and for all you NON -METAL HEADS-
                  i DID make a video last night and i used SADE music !! Love Deluxe
                  also another one with Jean Michel Jarre.

Comment

Ok, I made a test youtube video using videodub and avidemux with x263 two pass variable bitrate and so on, and it can be viewed using the &fmt=6 modifier for higher resolution, thusly.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rgdof8bj26M&fmt=6

So then I tried another one, and I suppose I must have done something a little differently because it can't use the &fmt business.

Can you tell me, what is the magic thing I have to do, to make youtube put this up as a vid capable of using &fmt=6, exactly?

Or should I say, are there any things you can think of that might keep Youtube from making the vid capable of using &fmt=6...

Argh. It worked 1 time and now it will not work any more. WHAT THE HELL.

Comment

it works fine for me .... &fmt=6 is there. looks good.

edit: WOW !! the video is VERY SMOOTH - good frame rate -
                      what did you use to capture the video?

i see you say Virtual Dub? in the same pc? or ported video from video card to a 2nd pc?

im lost- how did you capture? Fraps? looks too smooth for fraps....

I use the 720 x 480 frame size for the finished video.
                      I render to WMV in Premiere Elements. usually at 4000 bitrate.

thats all i do. it works. what resolution is your video?

if you're using 320 x 240, then you wont get the benefit of the &fmt=6 setting.
                      your video needs to be larger than that, so it can have something to "upgrade to"

on an side note,
                      I listened to a few music videos using the &fmt=18 setting, and instantly had STEREO!
                      I gotta say its awesome hearing Judas Priest in stereo on you tube.

Comment

Simple solution. Use a different video hosting site. I use vimeo.com and they allow for videos of any quality up to 720p.

Comment

Originally posted by Slippster View Post
                          it works fine for me .... &fmt=6 is there. looks good.
                          Oh yeah, that video works with &fmt=6 fine. Problem is, I can't seem to upload another one that will work with it... I'm sure I must have changed a setting somewhere in the process...

I capture by using the svideo out on the graphics card. That goes to a scan converter box (so I can play at my usual high resolution), and from there to a video input card on a second computer (which receives it as a standard NTSC signal, at 720x480 and 29.97 fps).

VirtualDub saves video from the capture card uncompressed... actually there's a couple uncompressed formats in there ... not sure if either ones better... I do know I have to be careful color depths, or funny things happen later...

Anyway, after saving the captured video to a file, I use VirtualDub in normal mode to apply a few filters to it. Mainly I want to apply the "SmartDeinterlace" filter, with "Edge-directed interpolate" enabled. I love this filter, it gets rid of interlace better than anything else I've tried. I also throw sharpen and SmartSmoother in there. Still save the whole thing uncompressed, or anyway whatever segment of the original file I've selected.

I would like to do compression in that same step, but I've been wanting to try AVIDemux for compression, and it doesn't have that particular deinterlace filter. So I have to make two steps out of it.

And I can't get any of VirtualDubs "two pass" compressors to work anyway, they always crash. And a lot of advice I've seen about youtube videos seems to favor 2 pass, variable bit rate compression.

I use AVIDemux as described by Nukedeath, applying MPEG-4 AVC(x264) compression, 2 pass, average bit rate of 7000, etc.

Up till recently I was using MP3 Lame for the sound, with a lot of compression. I'm pretty sure I used MP3 for sound on the last video I did, where &fmt=6 worked... but possibly not... Actually right about now I feel like it would have been a good idea to keep notes about what I was doing...

Anyway, I've been trying different things for the last few hours. I noticed in your earlier explanation you seem to be using pretty high quality sound. I'm going to try leaving that uncompressed next and see how that goes.

Thanks for your notes, I'll probably try some things out of those too, if these programs I have are set up for it...

Comment

Aha.

After reading the Youtube blog I little, I gathered it takes some extra time for their system to set up HD viewing for a vid.

So I left one of my small private test vids up for an hour or two, and sure enough it started working with the &fmt=6 thing after all.

Yeah, I was just making the whole thing more complicated than it had to be...

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Problem is, I can't seem to upload another one that will work with it
                              ahh, i see. gotcha.

i tried something like your setup before i got my DVDXpress thingy.

i have a Ti4600 in my old pc which has VIVO - video in / video out
                              but the interlace is so horrible.
                              its like downloading television.
                              and i never tried virtual dub, it always seemed like too many steps when i was first starting out.

so my methods lean to getting as much done in each step as possible,
                              so that in the end, its basically drag n drop, and click render.

but now im opening up new avenues of thinking how to do things.
                              the discussion is good for exchange of ideas and also it puts things down in writing so others can compare/contrast to their methods.

edit- just saw your reply-
                              glad you got it sorted !!

Comment

Hey what program are you using to record the video's? Just wondering because fraps will only let me do 30sec clips.

Comment

Working...
                                X